TAF phantom switch matrix issue

I recently purchased a nonworking, routed TAF with two "phantom" switch
issues that are driving me nuts.

Symptom 1: When any switch on Row 2 is closed and held, any subsequent
switch closure on column 1 will cause the corresponding switch in the
same column as the closed Row 2 switch to close, too. Happens every
time. Let's say I manually close Switch C3/R2 (Column 3, Row 2). If I
then close Switch C1/R5, Switch C3/R5 will also close. I can close any
number of switches in Row 2 at the same time, and if I then close one
switch in Colunm 1, every switch in the columns in which those Row 2
switches are closed will also close.

I eliminated the CPU as the cause by swapping one from a different
game, and the problem persisted. Disconnecting the underplayfield
optic boards didn't do anything, either. I also eliminated the cabinet
switches since the problem went away when I disconnected J206 and J208.
Per Clay's guide, I figured at this point that it had to be a bad or
miswired diode on one of the switches either in Column 1 or in Row 2,
but all of them checked out (meaning that they were wired properly and
I disconnected one end on each of them to test). At this point, I'm
stymied. Doesn't the faulty switch or diode HAVE to be on one of these
two strings? Do I have to test EVERY switch and diode in the switch
matrix?

Symptom 2: This one should be a much easier fix, but I still haven't
figured it out yet. Closing Switch 72 (Swamp lock center) causes
Switch 77 (Thing kickout) to close, too. No other row or column
switches are involved, or at least I don't think there are. Again, the
diodes on both of these switches tested good and are properly oriented.
I forgot to swap the cpu to see whether this problem traveled with it,
but that's the only other possibility I can think of.

TIA

- Josh A.

Josh A. wrote:

> I eliminated the CPU as the cause by swapping one from a different
> game, and the problem persisted. Disconnecting the underplayfield
> optic boards didn't do anything, either.

My phantom switch problem was being caused by a defective opto isolator
IC at U7 on the driver board. Replacing it cured the problem. I've
never had a switch matrix issue originate on a WPC power board before,
and didn't even know that it was possible. Clay covers the issue,
though, natch:

http://marvin3m.com/wpc/index2.htm#switch