Games Driving the PC Market?

lordmaximus

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
It seem every day we here about this improvment, and this improvment and they all seem to piont to the games market? Why is it that most companies refuse to show any interrest in this market even if they have nuthin to do with it, the gaming market grows by the day, There is a gaming commun in every country, how long till they become one commun?

That would be a great day indeed, But anyways what i wanted to ask is that How many of you guys use your PC's(Which are sometimes more powerfull than most servers) for games?

Maximus
Out of the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
My Rig: P4 2.4C running on 875P Mobo, 1GB DDR400 Kingston,
Ti 4200 128MB running at core-280mhz / mem-500 mhz
12 945 3D2001 Marks

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
probably 99%. I know I use mine for little else. If I'm just doing word processing I've wasted my money!

There are some guys in the forums who do physics and quantum simulations, and video/audio encoding stuff, who don't play games but still benefit from more power, but most people here wanna shoot stuff and see it blow up in the prettiest way possible. :cool:

Bring on HL2, Deus Ex 2, and DoomIII!!!

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I 3rd that!

Use mine for 90% gaming the rest is surfing, watching p0rn *cough* i mean movies lol :wink: and creating music...oh and burning CD's and DVD's.

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
A lot of companies show interest into the gaming market. Microsoft created a game studio for pc games and then the Xbox. Sony was never a gaming company until the playstation, Motorola is getting into it with its mobile gaming phone. Big companies like Dell and Gateway strike deals with gaming companies to make a gaming bundle that they can sell for cheaper.
A lot of companies are into gaming that once werent, but I dont understand this....

"Why is it that most companies refuse to show any interrest in this market even if they have nuthin to do with it,"

It's like asking why doesn't Ford build houses if there is a big housing demand. Even Ford is into video games through association when they license their cars out to video game makers to use in racing games.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

RCPilot

Champion
My rig is for gaming. After that it does this forum & web surfing. It's so bad, I've got a whole 10 gig on a WB 80 gig JB. I bought it for the speed only. Lean & mean is the way I run for the games.

I do have a Sony Mavica camera that I do a lot of family photos on though with PhotoShop. The 10 gigs includes all of that. LOL

Well, I didn't think that was gonna happen!!!

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
I've got a dualie at home and it runs Warcraft III and Winamp for hours on end

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
My PC exists for gaming, and that's what drives my upgrades as well. The other fraction of my computer time is spent on the net or watching something.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's a HUGE PROBLEM with major PC manufacturers building for games, that is the video card can easily be the most expensive component in the system!

Average buyers don't understand a thing about technology. They say "My kids Playstation II can play games and it only cost $150, I want my PC to play games "just as well" for $300! Hoho!

They don't think about things like low resolution and analog blurring with TV's, that make the video power requirement much lower. They don't think about things like the fact PC's have large hard drives, and need extra RAM for programs. They don't think about the fact that the Playstation 2 has no $200 CPU. They think "I saw a computer at Walmart.com for $300, having windows XP "should" only add $25 to the price (even though it's more like $60 for the manufacturer), etc, etc etc.

People do PC manufacturers a big favor by purchassing a separate consol for games, rather than demanding super low prices on super high end PC's.

And then there's people who say "I want to play games, you know, solitare, etc" so you set them up with the best system you can for little money, and they come back and say "why can't my grandson play CS3" etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, that's the problem. If you tell people a base system from YOUR company to play the latest games will cost them $800 (good video card, cheap everything else), they say "that's too much" and go somewhere else. Someone else is willing to sell them a cheaper system that "should play most games", and someone else will sell them an even cheaper system that "ought to play some games", etc.

Companies don't want to loose these customers, so they shift focus away from gaming in whatever way possible.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
It all depends on what you mean by being able to play "most games". I mean play all the games at the lowest resolution with bare minimum fps is still playing the game. I've found many companies, especially internet companies on ebay, to advertise gaming systems for as little as $400. Of course its like a 2.2 celeron, crappy motherboard with intergrated sound, geforce fx 5200 and the like.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"most" refers to more than half, and many more games were produced between 1978 and 1998 than from 1998 to 2003!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Its sad but true. Many of times I see gamers when they were new friends of mine left in the dust because the PC Com-crap PC they purchased was simply not up to par.

What I hate most about these Big name companies is their tendency to build systems that are so very proprietary in nature and have no chance of upgrading, so your forced to purchase a new PC when performance is extremely low. Most don't even include a decent motherboard and many often lack basic features like an AGP port. I saw a system purchased in 1999 or 2000 struggle with a good oldie like Half-Life - that is very sad IMO.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What pisses me off is companies like Dell using proprietary boards without AGP slot, when they could more cheaply buy standard boards without AGP slot. I mean, they bitch about competition, pricing, and profitability, and then pay someone extra to make a proprietary board.

Look at eMachines, they actually use REAL Micro ATX boards, and they make them themselves! Now if ANY company would be expected to use proprietary boards, it should be a company that makes their own, right? So Dell spends extra money to BUY proprietary parts, while eMachines BUILDS standard parts for their own PC's, even though it doesn't save them money since they build their own! Is is starting to sound like eMachines is a better company than Dell? Hehe.

Oh, but you CAN ORDER a Dell with an AGP card, I think every eMachine comes with onboard video and no slot (but I'm not an expert on their *cough* high end systems).

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
These days I would reccomend A great case w/ a nice PSU and a great mobo with lots of features for a clone over a proprietary system even if the rest of the system is built with low cost stuff - AT LEAST you have the option of upgrading. A decent mobo will take that faster RAM/CPU/Video card. Look at the new Nforce2 boards, For most people you use all the stuff on the mainboard even the IGP440 is more than enough for someone who wants to surf the web. If you want better sound/network/video in the future you at least have something reasonably decent to tide you over until you get that extra cash.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

That reminds me I went to the mall last month. Waiting for new tires on my wifes car to be put on. Dell booth lots of people looking to buy from dell. Local computer store booth 1 person. They could build better puter than what dell offers. But they don't have the name.