0x8007041D W2K Server Try All

When recently trying to update a Windows 2000 server with SP4 using
windows update by pressing the custom button was present with the
following errors:

"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
installed on your computer. To continue:"

Selected

"Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)"

Pressed continue

Stated:

Download and install the latest updating software

Registering: 100%...

Then error occurred
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
problem.
Error number: 0x8007041D

Began reviewing Google Groups and MS Discussion Groups and have tried
the following:

1. do not have NOD32 installed

2. Clean all temp folders and caches

3. Uninstall all APC USB software

4. Download and Installed Manually:
a. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
b. Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and
WinHTTP 5.1 Windows 2000 (KB842773)
c. Windows update
d. MSXML 4.0

5. Manually register the following:
a. 32\wuapi.dll
b. wuaueng.dll
c. \wuaueng1.dll
d. wucltui.dll
e. wups.dll
f. wups2.dll
g. wuweb.dll
h. msxml3.dll

6. Checked to make sure that:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost In the right panel "netsvcs", double clicked
and check if the WUAUSERV and BITS is listed, they are

7. Check Log file and found this error:
- WU client version 5.8.0.2469
- WARNING: Failed to obtain SusClientId
- FATAL: Failed to initialize with error 0x80040206 from component
Event subsystem
- FATAL: Failed to initialize WU client: 0x80040206
- Service: Service exit [Exit code = 0x80040206]
- FATAL: Warning: Failed to restart wuauserv service: 0x8007041d
- * WARNING: Exit code = 0x8007041D
- FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error 0x8007041d
- FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error:0x8007041d
- FATAL: UpdateClientWorker failed: error 0x8007041d

8. Tried to Start these services and check on their dependencies:
a. Automatic Updates:
Could not start...
Error: 2147746310 An Unexpected internal errors was detected.
b. COM+ Event System
Could not start...
Error:1083 The executable program that the service is configured to
run in does not implement the service
c. Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Error 1060: The dependency service or group failed to start
d. System Event Notification
Error 1060: The dependency service or group failed to start
e. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Start and Stop are greyed out, therefore cannot test

Download or Order Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"DGBQ" wrote:

[...]

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

DGBQ wrote:

> [...]
> - FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error 0x8007041d
> - FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error:0x8007041d
> - FATAL: UpdateClientWorker failed: error 0x8007041d
>
> 8. Tried to Start these services and check on their dependencies:
> a. Automatic Updates:
> Could not start...
> Error: 2147746310 An Unexpected internal errors was detected.
> b. COM+ Event System
> Could not start...
> Error:1083 The executable program that the service is configured to
> run in does not implement the service
> c. Background Intelligent Transfer Service
> Error 1060: The dependency service or group failed to start
> d. System Event Notification
> Error 1060: The dependency service or group failed to start
> e. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Start and Stop are greyed out, therefore cannot test

You've posted this to a the WindowsXP.General newsgroup. Try the
windows update newsgroup:

Or one for your server OS. Here is a list of all MS newsgroups:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User