Cant install windows 7 on laptop

Aron808

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
aloha everyone, I am having a super hard time with my dads laptop. The hard drive started failing and i put another hard drive in and I cant get it to boot from disk. Its an ASUS laptop and the original recovery is a hidden partition on the failing hard disk. when i put in a windows rescue CD it boots from that.
I downloaded a legit version of windows 7 and burned a bootable dvd but it will not work. Ive also tried another bootable windows 7 that i burned (both from iso files) and a bootable unbuntu 12.10 dvd. The hard drive i put in works fine just cant get a operating system on this laptop. Ive changed the boot order in the bios to boot from cd first.
I can only get the windows rescue disk to boot but i cant install windows from there (how dumb is that?) does anyone have any ideas? my dad never burned the disks to re-install his operating system only the rescue disks which don't boot or have the operating system on it. I'm stuck. Just need help getting windows 7 to install :pfff:

muratmatur

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Aloha Aron808!
Firstly describe "The hard drive i put in works fine".
Can you see the HD attached in BIOS?

Murat Matur

Stupid question. Is the cd drive a cd/dvd drive or just a cd drive. It just seems like it boots from a cd, but not a dvd. also there are some dvd drives that have issues with some types of burned dvd's. You could try putting windows 7 on a usb stick.

Aron808

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
aloha thanks for the help. yeah i can see the hard drive in the bios. I also got into dos with my windows rescue disk and I formatted the hard drive. I ran the windows dvd from DOS but i get an error message when I try to install windows. I get an error message and it asks me for a driver."A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" Windows Installation Error". This really should be easy. It is a CD/DVD drive because my dad burned his recovery dvds off that laptop. I am going to try a USB flash drive. The disk from asus is 50 bucks!