Overclock m880g with Ati 4200 mobilty on a HP dv4 2040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morenomdz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello there, got this HP dv4 2040 Notebook, m880g with ati mobility 4200 , and I have few questions about overclocking it.

First, the system info says the graphic card is an Ati mobility 4200, that has 320 mb of memory, but the video driver says it has 1982 mb of hypermemory, does that means the card has only the 320mb and leech the rest from the ram when it is needed, on the fly, or what? The gpu clock is set at 500 mhz and the memory clock at 400 mhz.

Second, can I change the cpu/gpu settings somehow? The bios on this Hp doesn`t allow me to change a bit, but is there some other way to work on it?

Yes, that's what it means. It will use your system's RAM when it needs it. As far as overclocking the GPU, you can try a utility like ATITool or RivaTuner (both are free downloads). Honestly though, you won't see much of a difference. It's an integrated graphics chip and was not really designed for any intense gaming. As far as the CPU goes, you are probably out of luck. There are one or two utilities that had been floating around, but for me they ended in some flaky results (unstable machine + BSODs).

prankstare

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hi,

Are you guys sure the Mobility HD4200 has 320MB of dedicated memory?

@Morenomdz: maybe you can overclock it using PowerStrip. But it's highly not recommended that you overclock anything on a notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.