Monitor dying?

I have a Gateway VX900T 19 inch CRT monitor that is about three years
old. It is plugged into a Dell 2400 desktop computer.

This morning, after I had turned on the PC and booted to the XP
desktop, I noticed that the screen was very dark; almost as though the
contrast had been reduced to a low level. This has never happened before.
I turned the monitor off and then back on. Now the screen looks fine again.

Could this be just a one-time glitch, a problem with my PC, or is the
monitor starting to die on me? As I said, up until now the monitor has
performed flawlessly.

> I have a Gateway VX900T 19 inch CRT monitor that is about three years
> old.

I should mention that this monitor is a replacement that Gateway sent
us after our original one broke down. Fortunately we were still under
warranty. So I suppose its possible the monitor may be older than 3 years,
although it looked new when I picked it up.

A 19 inch monitor may or may not be economic to have serviced if there
is anyone in your area that still does service monitors. If one gun
appears to be failing it could be the CRT but it could be electronic
and fixable. It's worth noting that if the unit does not have a huge
amount of time on it it may be worth a little more to fix than you
normally would spend because monitors of this size and vintage were
better built than the new ones.

Buy whatever brand of monitor you can get warranty service on in your
area if any or the one with the best warranty and reputation for
picture quality. All the better brands are fine.

The glitch I described below hasn't reappeared since I submitted this
post. Hopefully it was a one-time thing.

"History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway VX900T 19 inch CRT monitor that is about three years
> old. It is plugged into a Dell 2400 desktop computer.
>
> This morning, after I had turned on the PC and booted to the XP
> desktop, I noticed that the screen was very dark; almost as though the
> contrast had been reduced to a low level. This has never happened before.
> I turned the monitor off and then back on. Now the screen looks fine
> again.
>
> Could this be just a one-time glitch, a problem with my PC, or is the
> monitor starting to die on me? As I said, up until now the monitor has
> performed flawlessly.

TRENDING THREADS