Move HDD to new PC and boot, OEM version of XP Home

Hi, I'm building a replacement PC and would like to boot off my original XP
Home edition HDD. Its an E-Machines OEM version of XP home, is this possible
as I only have the CD that came from E-Machines with the PC? Do I need a
repar CD? If so where can I get one? I really don't want to loose all my
settings.

Cheers,

Simon

An eMachine OEM version of Windows XP cannot be transferred to
a different computer. Its license is tied directly to the eMachine
hardware. You'll have to purchase a conventional "Full Version"
of Windows XP and perform a "repair install".

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Simon" wrote:

| Hi, I'm building a replacement PC and would like to boot off my original XP
| Home edition HDD. Its an E-Machines OEM version of XP home, is this possible
| as I only have the CD that came from E-Machines with the PC? Do I need a
| repar CD? If so where can I get one? I really don't want to loose all my
| settings.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Simon

Thanks for the quick repsonse, Newegg here I come :)

Si

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> An eMachine OEM version of Windows XP cannot be transferred to
> a different computer. Its license is tied directly to the eMachine
> hardware. You'll have to purchase a conventional "Full Version"
> of Windows XP and perform a "repair install".
>
> Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Simon" wrote:
>
> | Hi, I'm building a replacement PC and would like to boot off my original XP
> | Home edition HDD. Its an E-Machines OEM version of XP home, is this possible
> | as I only have the CD that came from E-Machines with the PC? Do I need a
> | repar CD? If so where can I get one? I really don't want to loose all my
> | settings.
> |
> | Cheers,
> |
> | Simon

One more thought, can I purchase an XP Professional upgrade and to the repair
install with that?

Si

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> An eMachine OEM version of Windows XP cannot be transferred to
> a different computer. Its license is tied directly to the eMachine
> hardware. You'll have to purchase a conventional "Full Version"
> of Windows XP and perform a "repair install".
>
> Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Simon" wrote:
>
> | Hi, I'm building a replacement PC and would like to boot off my original XP
> | Home edition HDD. Its an E-Machines OEM version of XP home, is this possible
> | as I only have the CD that came from E-Machines with the PC? Do I need a
> | repar CD? If so where can I get one? I really don't want to loose all my
> | settings.
> |
> | Cheers,
> |
> | Simon

No. You need the same version as the original.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Limmey" wrote:

| One more thought, can I purchase an XP Professional upgrade and to the repair
| install with that?
|
| Si

Thanks Carey,

Si

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> No. You need the same version as the original.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Limmey" wrote:
>
> | One more thought, can I purchase an XP Professional upgrade and to the repair
> | install with that?
> |
> | Si

You are not officiallty able to re-use the E-Machine OEM version of XP Home.
It is tied to the original E-machine Pc and is not transferable. You would
have gotten a recovery CD/partition with the E-Machine PC. That is all you
can get from E-Machine.

"Limmey" <Limmey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm building a replacement PC and would like to boot off my original
> XP
> Home edition HDD. Its an E-Machines OEM version of XP home, is this
> possible
> as I only have the CD that came from E-Machines with the PC? Do I need a
> repar CD? If so where can I get one? I really don't want to loose all my
> settings.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

Carey
Could he not buy an XP Pro version and install it as an upgrade over his
home version???
Would this not change the HAL to the proper set as well as keep all his
programs and personal files intact???????
curious
peterk

> No. You need the same version as the original.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Limmey" wrote:
>
> | One more thought, can I purchase an XP Professional upgrade and to the
> repair
> | install with that?
> |
> | Si

Not if the original XP Home version will not boot to the
desktop due to hardware changes.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"peterk" wrote:

| Carey
| Could he not buy an XP Pro version and install it as an upgrade over his
| home version???
| Would this not change the HAL to the proper set as well as keep all his
| programs and personal files intact???????
| curious
| peterk

But............he would be booting off the XP Pro CD
still curious
peterk