Win XP: Help and Support Centre Problems

gb

Fault: Windows Help and Supprt Centre does not work. Also System
Information. This is a fault on new machines - straight out of the box.

I have at last had some sort of response from Dell about the faulty
operating system install on new machines, whereby Help does not work, as
well as other problems. Basically, Dell recognise that something is wrong,
but they can't fix it. I assume that this is replicated across all new
machines being despatched at the moment. It may only be a problem for
machines despatched from Ireland, and it may be specific to particular
systems - I have it on a number of new Dimensions I ordered.

My experience is that when first approached Tech Support issued a random
response such as repairing the o/s. This is is a waste of time, as it did
not work, but it damaged other programmes I had installed.

I also ran sfc, without effect.

My advice is either to grin and bear it until Dell have worked out how to
fix the problem or to get Dell to collect the machine and return it once
repaired. The risk of delaying is that any data on the machine will have to
be reinstalled after whatever fix they come up with has been implemented.

Here is what Dell said:

Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware E-Support and Services.

I can understand your concern as the system is new and out of
box.

We are seeing an issue in Factory with regards to the
"Help & Support" function on Win XP Home & Pro.

When you try to open the "Help & Support" from the Start\Help
& Support the program won't launch.The Dell engineering teams
have been made aware of this problem and researching the issue.The
issue with the system information too is related to the same.

At present Dell engineering are working on a fix for this.As
soon as it is updated it will be made available.We do reqquest
your patience and cooperation.

You can still open this program but they need to take an alternative
route.

Opening Help & Support using Dell Solution Centre:

Open Dell Solution Centre by clicking the desktop icon or Start\All
Programs\Solution Centre.
Click the "Support" link.
Then click the "Help and Support" link.
This should then open the program

I am publishing this in case it is of help to anyone else in the same
position.

Geoff

"GB" <NotMyEmailAddress@Anywhere.InTheUniverse> wrote in message
> Fault: Windows Help and Supprt Centre does not work. Also System
> Information. This is a fault on new machines - straight out of the box.
>
> I have at last had some sort of response from Dell about the faulty
> operating system install on new machines, whereby Help does not work, as
> well as other problems. Basically, Dell recognise that something is wrong,
> but they can't fix it. I assume that this is replicated across all new
> machines being despatched at the moment. It may only be a problem for
> machines despatched from Ireland, and it may be specific to particular
> systems - I have it on a number of new Dimensions I ordered.
>
> My experience is that when first approached Tech Support issued a random
> response such as repairing the o/s. This is is a waste of time, as it did
> not work, but it damaged other programmes I had installed.
>
> I also ran sfc, without effect.
>
> My advice is either to grin and bear it until Dell have worked out how to
> fix the problem or to get Dell to collect the machine and return it once
> repaired. The risk of delaying is that any data on the machine will have
> be reinstalled after whatever fix they come up with has been implemented.
>
> Here is what Dell said:
>
> Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware E-Support and Services.
>
> I can understand your concern as the system is new and out of
> box.
>
> We are seeing an issue in Factory with regards to the
> "Help & Support" function on Win XP Home & Pro.
>
> When you try to open the "Help & Support" from the Start\Help
> & Support the program won't launch.The Dell engineering teams
> have been made aware of this problem and researching the issue.The
> issue with the system information too is related to the same.
>
> At present Dell engineering are working on a fix for this.As
> soon as it is updated it will be made available.We do reqquest
> your patience and cooperation.
>
> You can still open this program but they need to take an alternative
> route.
>
> Opening Help & Support using Dell Solution Centre:
>
> Open Dell Solution Centre by clicking the desktop icon or Start\All
> Programs\Solution Centre.
> Click the "Support" link.
> Then click the "Help and Support" link.
> This should then open the program
>

> I am publishing this in case it is of help to anyone else in the same
> position.
>
> Geoff

While I'm not in the UK, this is good information to know. It also
buttresses the idea of some of the more experienced users in this ng to blow
away the factory image right out of the box (thereby eliminating either
unnecessary and/or conflicting bloatware) in favor of a clean install of the
OS and apps. the end user wants or needs.

Unfortunately, that may not provide help for new users or even those
attending a large number of corporate machines who plan to stick with the
original image.

Stew

gb

S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message news:xXqmc.83397

> While I'm not in the UK, this is good information to know. It also
> buttresses the idea of some of the more experienced users in this ng to
blow
> away the factory image right out of the box (thereby eliminating either
> unnecessary and/or conflicting bloatware) in favor of a clean install of
the
> OS and apps. the end user wants or needs.

I can see the point Stew. The problem I have is that I am installing four or
five new machines. Formatting and reinstalling the o/s plus drivers on that
number of machines is a day or more's work. So, I am very disappointed that
Dell have not done their job better.

I am quite capable of building my own machines. The idea of buying Dell was
to avoid that work.

I don't know if it has already been posted, but just in case :
solution is to remove this file :

c:\windows\system32\helpctr.exe

Rgds

"GB" <NotMyEmailAddress@Anywhere.InTheUniverse> a écrit dans le message de

> S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message news:xXqmc.83397
> >
> > While I'm not in the UK, this is good information to know. It also
> > buttresses the idea of some of the more experienced users in this ng to
> blow
> > away the factory image right out of the box (thereby eliminating either
> > unnecessary and/or conflicting bloatware) in favor of a clean install of
> the
> > OS and apps. the end user wants or needs.
>
> I can see the point Stew. The problem I have is that I am installing four
or
> five new machines. Formatting and reinstalling the o/s plus drivers on
that
> number of machines is a day or more's work. So, I am very disappointed
that
> Dell have not done their job better.
>
> I am quite capable of building my own machines. The idea of buying Dell
was
> to avoid that work.

THANK YOU!