Unhandled Exception while running 3D games.

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
After installing a BETA version of a game, my PC crashed pretty hard requiring me to restore to a previous date. However, now I am unable to play 3 out of 4 of the 3D games on my system and receive the following error message when attempting to do so.

"Unhandled exception: c000001d
At address: 00500d56"

The addresses/numbers are different each time.

The applications will actually load and run initially, but inevitably lock up and Windows displays this message in a dialogue box.

I installed SP1 and the latest version of DirectX in hope that it would resolve this, didn't work. I've also tried two different versions of drivers for my video card.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I would like to avoid reformatting/reinstalling if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chubasco on 09/13/02 12:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mwgorecki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I had the same problem with a <i>borrowed</i> copy of GTA3. I think it is driver related. Sorry, that is all I can offer.

sz

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
That's what I was thinking, but I replaced my video card drivers twice.

Is there a way to completely remove/delete drivers?

mwgorecki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
As far as I know, no. But you can try to install older drivers. However, I do not believe that will help you - I think you need newer, not older ones. Your card and chip manufacturers will both have drivers, so check out both. Also, with a beta game, there may be nothing you can do...

sz

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I've also restored system files by running system file checker /restore, but it's still happening.

I really don't want to reinstall :(

Also, I installed WinXP as a Win98 upgrade, is the straight WinXP easy to do and will it convert the disk to NTFS? Please provide brief instruction on how to 'clean' install WinXP (i.e. make start up disk, FDISK, format, etc.).

Sabertooth007

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
In regards to the game, I would immediately point the finger at the game being "beta". Being a beta tester for Activision, I know that beta games are notorious for always being unstable. Any game that is beta means they haven't worked the bugs out yet and you should expected crashes that don't make sense. Now if you get the same crash playing retail games, then you have other problems.

For a clean install.

First make sure you have a boot disk that is at least Windows 98 Second Edition, if you plan to use FAT32 and not NTFS.

Second depending upon the version of WinXP you have - Full or Upgrade the path to a clean install varies.

If this is the full version ($199 for the home edition for example) then you can install it from a dos prompt. I would not recommend installing a skelton Win98/ME then XP over it. Why? Because then it isn't truly a clean install and any conflicts between win98/me will be integrated into your XP install.

If you bought the upgrade ($99 for Home Edition) you actually can install it from a dos prompt. Microsoft just forgot to tell you that. Go to their support site and do a search for installing xp from a dos prompt. I don't remember the exact commands (sorry put that tech note away already). But if you send me an e-mail I can look it up for you.

Then you can install from a dos prompt. It will also allow you to have the option to revert to a win98 Dos prompt, which is valuable since as you know XP doesn't have a true dos prompt anymore like you did in Win98/ME.

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Thank you for the info. I was hoping not to reinstall, but it looks like that is my only option.

So, just to clarify....I can/should install WinXP Pro starting with a Win98 startup disk (i.e. type setup at dos prompt) but using the WinXP CD? This is a clean/full XP install?

As for the risks inherent to betas, I'm very familiar with them. The odd thing about this is that I can't find anyone (friends, on the boards, etc.) that has experienced this with the same beta build and system configuration. Just my bad luck I guess.

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
In My computer/properties/hardware click device manager, the device you think is giving you trouble, properties, driver, and roll back driver. If that doesn't work, reinstall.

My DVD reader is destroyed! I told you it wasn't an oven!