Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD (blank screen of doom) after Windows logo

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2012 4:00:40 AM

Hi, I get a blank screen with no cursor on it after the windows logo disappears.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

The problem seems to be caused by my display driver - windows will boot normally when I use the VGA driver, however I've tried updating my driver and windows will still not show the login screen without VGA.

Any help?
November 8, 2012 4:06:28 AM

Theshell1 said:
Hi, I get a blank screen with no cursor on it after the windows logo disappears.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

The problem seems to be caused by my display driver - windows will boot normally when I use the VGA driver, however I've tried updating my driver and windows will still not show the login screen without VGA.

Any help?

#1 = Graphics card is dead
#2 = PSU is weak from wear and tear and not supplying enough power to GPU (or cables loose)
#3 = Try re seating the GPU, could have came loose.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 4:20:30 AM

Are you refering to the intergrared graphics when you say VGA ? Do you have the monitor cable pluged into the video card and not the motherboard ?
What video card , motherboard and cpu do you have ?
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 9:21:29 PM

What I mean is, the login screen will show up if I go into device manager and "update" the display driver to standard VGA graphics but not if I "update" it to AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5730
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 10:16:07 PM

Sometimes it's not a good thing to update to the newest driver if it's not needed, have you tried rolling back to the previous driver and see if that helps.
m
l
November 8, 2012 11:22:22 PM

The original driver that I had from 2009ish didn't work, then I updated it and it still didn't work, and I rolled back and it still didn't work
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 12:52:41 AM

There have been a lot of driver releases between 2009 and today so maybe you can find a particular driver that may work if you want to take the time to try. If you would rather go in another direction you could do that also , maybe try a different psu if you could get your hands on one.
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:04:22 AM

I've tried many different drivers, none of them have worked
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 5:01:47 AM

Ok then can you get you hands on a psu to try and see if that is the cause.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 5:19:32 AM

Theshell1 said:
I've tried many different drivers, none of them have worked

Do you use a notebook? Have you tried the driver on the Support DVD?
m
l
November 9, 2012 5:40:20 AM

try cleaning your ram
m
l
November 9, 2012 5:42:45 AM

try cleaning your rams
m
l
November 9, 2012 10:14:30 PM

Update: Notebook will start, but only rarely. Able to start 2 out of 3 times, then not ever again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2012 3:56:15 AM

The notebooks hve a hidden recovery partition that you can access it at startup.
m
l
November 11, 2012 5:41:53 AM

Alright, after restoring the laptop with OneKey Recovery, it worked fine until I installed and played League of Legends when my screen froze and the laptop would freeze after the logo yet again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:29:07 AM

Then it might be a problem with the game. How many partitions are there? Try installing the game on the second one, if two partitions. What Windows is installed? The game mght install a software that creates issues.
m
l
November 11, 2012 6:36:35 AM

The game worked fine before all this started, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, it should be worth noting that after restoring I would have the same problem until I had a rare occasion when it worked, upon which it disappeared until playing of said game.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 6:51:14 AM

What's the laptop model and what graphics driver have you installed? Why do you want to update the driver?
m
l
November 11, 2012 7:49:59 AM

I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad Y560 with a ATI Mobility HD Radeon 5730 and I updated the driver thinking it would fix it (it didn't)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 8:24:52 AM

If the laptop is still under warranty, I suggest RMA-ing it.
m
l
November 11, 2012 5:41:44 PM

The laptop's not under warranty anymore.

I just used OneKey to restore it from an image again and it took multiple tries to start up the computer initially, but once I did, it works okay again.

Hoping to avoid another repeat of the screen freeze - I don't think I can do much without crashing the laptop :( 
m
l
November 11, 2012 7:47:12 PM

Okay, so I tried using FurMark to test the GPU. The screen froze when the screen showed 77 C as the temp and 98% usage of the GPU.

Upon boot, Windows hung after the logo again.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2012 7:50:43 PM

How many RAM sticks are installed, one or two?
m
l
November 11, 2012 9:29:54 PM

I have two RAM sticks
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2012 5:27:38 AM

Leave only one and test. If still the same, swap them and test again.
November 12, 2012 5:32:28 PM

Not sure if I can do that - I have a laptop.

However, I did manage to get it working as normal after trying to start the laptop up about 30 or 40 times.

Not sure what the problem was, it seems inconsistent to me.

EDIT: Will try downloading a game and see if my graphics card can handle it.
m
l
November 13, 2012 1:07:47 AM

Theshell1 said:
Not sure if I can do that - I have a laptop.

However, I did manage to get it working as normal after trying to start the laptop up about 30 or 40 times.

Not sure what the problem was, it seems inconsistent to me.

EDIT: Will try downloading a game and see if my graphics card can handle it.

I have an identical laptop with a similar problem. Laptop use to overheat and shut off while playing almost any game or hd video.

I removed the fan and found it absolutely clogged with dirt/dust, so I cleaned it out and replaced thermal paste on gpu and cpu heatsinks. Laptop works like a charm playing skyrim @ 1080p 30-45 fps for hours, no overheating :)  Hope that solves your problem

My issue:
It developed a problem booting after about a week or so, and goes to a blank screen after windows logo and will either go to desktop after about 5 minutes and work perfectly or just sit there forever until I force shut down.

Booting into safe mode works fine, and rolling back to the standard VGA driver enables it to boot properly in under a minute but then re-installing the AMD driver brings back the black screen hang.....

Tried every current driver I can find: stock lenovo from their website, AMD 12.10, beta 12.2. Same story everywhere. If it manages to get to the desktop everything works perfect again, no overheating; if it just sits again, nothing :( 

Any ideas?
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:00:33 AM

woody12592 said:
I have an identical laptop with a similar problem. Laptop use to overheat and shut off while playing almost any game or hd video.

I removed the fan and found it absolutely clogged with dirt/dust, so I cleaned it out and replaced thermal paste on gpu and cpu heatsinks. Laptop works like a charm playing skyrim @ 1080p 30-45 fps for hours, no overheating :)  Hope that solves your problem

My issue:
It developed a problem booting after about a week or so, and goes to a blank screen after windows logo and will either go to desktop after about 5 minutes and work perfectly or just sit there forever until I force shut down.

Booting into safe mode works fine, and rolling back to the standard VGA driver enables it to boot properly in under a minute but then re-installing the AMD driver brings back the black screen hang.....

Tried every current driver I can find: stock lenovo from their website, AMD 12.10, beta 12.2. Same story everywhere. If it manages to get to the desktop everything works perfect again, no overheating; if it just sits again, nothing :( 

Any ideas?

Will try cleaning the fan out, thanks for the input!

As to my solution, I just reset the laptop using Lenovo OneKey and booted it many, many times until it finally worked for me - not sure how that worked, but it did.
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:07:49 AM

Theshell1 said:
As to my solution, I just reset the laptop using Lenovo OneKey and booted it many, many times until it finally worked for me - not sure how that worked, but it did.

Forgot to mention - I lost the Onekey recovery partition when my hard drive crashed and I replaced it, so I don't have any of those drivers anymore. If you by chance wanna send me the graphics drivers you're using now that'd be great :D 
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:06:03 AM

No dice - I just tried playing a game and about 5 minutes in my screen froze and the problem reappeared.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2012 4:05:59 AM

Check out your RAM as alexoiu suggested, it will be under a cover on the base of the laptop. You'll experience a drop-off in performance running with one stick, but hopefully isolate the problem, and cleaning your fan a good idea, though that may involve downloading Service Manual and a strip-down...
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:28:13 AM

Well, I opened up my laptop, and between the two sticks of RAM was a little piece of broken-off plastic. I took it out and the laptop booted correctly.

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, will try playing a game to see if the problem reoccurs.
m
l
November 13, 2012 5:04:59 AM

Okay, problem hasn't reoccured - guess that solved it.
m
l
November 13, 2012 5:05:20 AM

Best answer selected by Theshell1.
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:19:19 PM

Theshell1 said:
Okay, problem hasn't reoccured - guess that solved it.

Can you post the driver version number you currently have installed? I'm still having the same problem after checking/re-seating my RAM.
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:28:19 PM

I'm using version 8.702.5.0 dated 5/5/2010 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730)
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:57:28 AM

Theshell1 said:
I'm using version 8.702.5.0 dated 5/5/2010 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730)

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I didn't have any luck with that driver on a clean install of Windows 7 :( 
m
l
!