Can I recover from this

August 26, 2005 5:51:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I had a full hard disk but then noticed unused space.

After installing PartitionMagic I deleted an old Linux partition and
extended my Windows system partition into the space. I also installed
BootMagic but did not configure.

Upon restarting I get an error from BootMagic saying nothing is
configured (d'oh!) and when I press enter to continue the PC hangs.

So I go into the Recovery Console and do a fixmbr. Now when I reboot
it just hangs.

Back into RC and bootcfg /list shows my XP partition as drive L: !

When I try to add this I get a message saying it can't be added ;-(

Windows XP setup (trying to create a new installation so that I can get
to that and then maybe use Ghost to help me out also fails.

It shows:

14301Mb on Disk MBR
58644 on Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 [MBR]
these include my Windows partition as the first but marked as
Inactive!
1623 Mb on 0 at 1 on 0 [MBR]
this is the second disk in my configuration

If I try and set up Windows on the free space on the 0 0 0 disk then it
says there is no Windows compatible partition on the disk ;-(

Am I up the creek with no paddle or is there a way to get my partition
active again?

Also, what is the "first" disk that Windows is showing - the 14301Mb
one?

Many thanks

Graham

More about : recover

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:54:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

One thing I missed out is that the I do have two disks - the first is
the big one and the second seems to be split between the mystery MBR
"disk" and the last line.

Also, the drive lettering seems to have the disks the wrong way around
- the 1623Mb has C:, then the big disk D: when obviously it should be
the other way around.

Would taking the smaller disk out help? However I can't see why doing
this would make the inactive partition active which is what I really
need.
August 26, 2005 9:01:44 PM

graham.parsons@reflective.com wrote:

|>I had a full hard disk but then noticed unused space.
|>
|>After installing PartitionMagic I deleted an old Linux partition and
|>extended my Windows system partition into the space. I also installed
|>BootMagic but did not configure.
|>
|>Upon restarting I get an error from BootMagic saying nothing is
|>configured (d'oh!) and when I press enter to continue the PC hangs.
|>
|>So I go into the Recovery Console and do a fixmbr. Now when I reboot
|>it just hangs.

Try running FIXBOOT

--

http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/