JC

Can anyone shed light on the differences between using the "right click
my computer, manage, local users and groups" over using the "control
userpasswords" and "control userpasswords2" methods of managing local
users profiles on WinXP pro. I'm not understanding the difference or
why the user accounts don't seem to always match. I understand that one
is an MMC snap-in but is the other more correct to use?

Thanks,
Jimbo

P.S. Forgive if this is not correctly posted to the correct forum.

In Windows there's almost always more than one way to get somewhere.

control userpasswords Brings up User Accounts, the one you get from Control
Panel | User Accounts. Mshta.exe also runs. mshta.exe = Microsoft (R) HTML
Application host

This also opens the User Accounts like above...
Start | Run | Type or paste: nusrmgr.cpl | Click OK

This is the only User Accounts that should be used with XP Home.
-----

control userpasswords2 Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from
My Computer | Manage | Local Users and Groups. Either one gets you to the
same place.

This also opens Local Users and Groups...
Start | Run | type: lusrmgr.msc | Click OK

Just to confuse the user. ;-)

This opens the Control Panel...
Start | Run | Type: control | Click OK

There are a bunch of control (plus something) shortcuts listed here...

How to Open Control Panel Folders from the Command Prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;180025

Description of Control Panel Files in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313808

Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;149648

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1125093828.051396.164390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
JC <james@craig.net> hunted and pecked:
> Can anyone shed light on the differences between using the "right click
> my computer, manage, local users and groups" over using the "control
> userpasswords" and "control userpasswords2" methods of managing local
> users profiles on WinXP pro. I'm not understanding the difference or
> why the user accounts don't seem to always match. I understand that one
> is an MMC snap-in but is the other more correct to use?
>
> Thanks,
> Jimbo
>
> P.S. Forgive if this is not correctly posted to the correct forum.

kelly

1. Has no Advanced Tab.
2. Has the Advanced Tab.

Tip:

Add ControlUserPasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1 right hand side):

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"JC" <james@craig.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone shed light on the differences between using the "right click
> my computer, manage, local users and groups" over using the "control
> userpasswords" and "control userpasswords2" methods of managing local
> users profiles on WinXP pro. I'm not understanding the difference or
> why the user accounts don't seem to always match. I understand that one
> is an MMC snap-in but is the other more correct to use?
>
> Thanks,
> Jimbo
>
> P.S. Forgive if this is not correctly posted to the correct forum.

TRENDING THREADS