Hello,

I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as they
have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told that I
should delete them regularly.

Is this good advice and what harm do they do?

Thanks in advance.

Here are a few problems that may be caused by Temporary Internet Files that
are
too full....

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
The Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding
Error Message When You Open Photo: "The Page Cannot Be Displayed"
OL2000: Internet Free/Busy Information Not Updated
Money: Error Message: Money Is Unable to Verify Your Online Sign In
OLEXP: Sent Web Page Is the Cached Version of the Web Page Not the Most
Current Version of the Web Page
Outlook Express message appears blank and has an ATT000XX.txt or an
ATT000XX.htm attachment

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files. You qualify!!!
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:169DF924-ED1A-4405-9C88-515148471374@microsoft.com,
Wrinkly <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

In article <169DF924-ED1A-4405-9C88-515148471374@microsoft.com>,
Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hello,
>
> I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as they
> have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told that I
> should delete them regularly.
>
> Is this good advice and what harm do they do?

They can consume a LOT of drive space and also permit anyone to track
where you've been. As for causing problems, they only cause file
fragmentation to increase and use up drive space.

I set my cache to 25MB instead of the 700MB it wants to have (I have a
very large drive) and clean it out every month or so.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Internet web pages...
once Max cache size is reached
the old one rotate out as new ones are loaded.
cookies and their tracks can be a tuff nut though.

.
"Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as
> they
> have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told that I
> should delete them regularly.
>
> Is this good advice and what harm do they do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Thanks to you all. There's clearly some good advice there.One follow up
though. My practice has been to make desktop shortcuts for a limited number
of regularly used addresses, click on them and make quick contact . Is this
good practice or should I redial each time?

"Wrinkly" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as they
> have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told that I
> should delete them regularly.
>
> Is this good advice and what harm do they do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Temporary internet Files should regularly be cleaned out, so too should
cookies and the history folder. They all take up space and, more importantly
for those who are paranoid, leave nice little tracks showing exactly what
sites you have visited.
The easiest way to clear them is from Internet options. (from the Internet
explorer screen click the Tools option and then, from the drop down menu,
click Internet Options. You can also access internet options from control
panel.) On the general tab under the Temproary Internet files option click
the Delete cookies button to delete all cookies and click the Delete files
button to delete the temporary internet files. You can clear the History by
clicking the clear history button.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

"Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as
> they
> have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told that I
> should delete them regularly.
>
> Is this good advice and what harm do they do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 01:06:46 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

>Temporary internet Files should regularly be cleaned out, so too should
>cookies and the history folder.

That's generally good advice, but there are particular exceptions.

For example, the Washington Post sets a cookie so that you don't
have to log in again each time you revisit the site. If you dump all
cookies then you'll have to log in again. (I don't use IE so I don't
know whether you can retain particular cookies while trashing all
others automatically.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

Wrinkly Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as
> they
> have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told
> that I
> should delete them regularly.
>
> Is this good advice and what harm do they do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

How to Delete the contents of the temporary Internet files folder:
http://tinyurl.com/2aqz9

To me personally, I hardly delete it because I have so much disk space
on my computer. It does speed up the loading of web pages though. If
you delete them, its probably gonna get downloaded again and stored
there until you delete it once again.

--
Evolution54

Wrinkly Wrote:
> Thanks to you all. There's clearly some good advice there.One follow up
> though. My practice has been to make desktop shortcuts for a limited
> number
> of regularly used addresses, click on them and make quick contact . Is
> this
> good practice or should I redial each time?
>
> "Wrinkly" wrote:
> -
> Hello,
>
> I have never done anything with temporary internet files before now as
> they
> have never done me any harm a far as I know. . I have now been told
> that I
> should delete them regularly.
>
> Is this good advice and what harm do they do?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> H-

There is probably no harm in creating Internet shortcuts to put on your
desktop. However, that is also why they created Bookmarks LOL...But
either way, its all up to user preference and there is no right or
wrong in my opinion. I'm sure other posters are gonna get technical
with it but do whatever floats your boat. I personally use bookmarks
because I already have so much other programs clogging up my desktop
and the last thing I need is Internet shortcuts. So in the end, do
whatever it takes to make your computing experience easier for you.
:cool:

--
Evolution54

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:09:40 +0000, Evolution54
<Evolution54.1ug51n@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>There is probably no harm in creating Internet shortcuts to put on your
>desktop. However, that is also why they created Bookmarks LOL

There's a third option, to create a file of bookmarks as <a href=
links in a separate file. t's a bit of extra work, but it has the
HUGE advantage that you don't lose your bookmarks if your browser
crashes, and you don't clutter up your desktop (or start menu) with
shortcuts.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

Just open the Favorites folder...
Start | Run | Type: favorites | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User