Is there an XP upgrade from LINUX?

I have seen stores displaying XP software upgrades for previous versions of
Windows.

What options would I have if I wanted to place XP on my home built LINUX
system?

How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58

How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"john czarnuszewicz" wrote:

| I have seen stores displaying XP software upgrades for previous versions of
| Windows.
|
| What options would I have if I wanted to place XP on my home built LINUX
| system?

Bad link. Try

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
>
> How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>

> > I have seen stores displaying XP software upgrades for previous
> > versions of Windows.
> >
> > What options would I have if I wanted to place XP on my home built LINUX
> > system?

Hmm, I did not see where the OP stated he wanted to remove or replace Linux.

XP and Linux can be set up in a dual boot environment , if that is what you
wish. I personally have no experience here, though I am sure others here
have, or you could try a google search for " dual booting windows xp and
linux"..

Don Burnette

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
>
> How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>

>> I have seen stores displaying XP software upgrades for previous
>> versions of Windows.
>>
>> What options would I have if I wanted to place XP on my home built
>> LINUX system?

I know how to trash a drive and install software, I have been doing it since
the first IBM PCs.

The question is more of a 'competetive upgrade' . An example would be if you
upgrade from brand X of an anti virus to a brand Y, you get a price break
from brand Y.

"john czarnuszewicz" <jaczar@worldnet.att.net> wrote in:

> The question is more of a 'competetive upgrade' . An example would be if
> you upgrade from brand X of an anti virus to a brand Y, you get a price
> break from brand Y.

Sorry, there's no price break. That might be a good idea but for now the
answer is no.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

Guess my question should have been clearer.

I wnt to give a nephew a PC which currently has LINUX installed. Nephew
knows how to use WINDOWS ME. Kid may not want to learn LINUX but if he
wants new hardware......

The XP would replace LINUX. PC would be single boot XP system.

Buying just the XP software is relatively expensive, I may be better getting
one of the store PC deals. You can buy a PC, monitor & printer for about
$300 to $400 after rebates.

Granted, the PC is not the newest/fastest technology but it would be several
times faster than what he currently has.

Thanks for the feedback.

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hmm, I did not see where the OP stated he wanted to remove or replace
> Linux.
>
> XP and Linux can be set up in a dual boot environment , if that is what
> you wish. I personally have no experience here, though I am sure others
> here have, or you could try a google search for " dual booting windows xp
> and linux"..
>
> Don Burnette
>

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
>>
>> How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
>>
>> Clean Install Windows XP
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>

>>> I have seen stores displaying XP software upgrades for previous
>>> versions of Windows.
>>>
>>> What options would I have if I wanted to place XP on my home built
>>> LINUX system?

You cannot upgrade from Linux to Windows XP.
Follow my instructions posted earlier for removing Linux
and installing Windows XP.

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"john czarnuszewicz" wrote:

| Guess my question should have been clearer.
|
| I wnt to give a nephew a PC which currently has LINUX installed. Nephew
| knows how to use WINDOWS ME. Kid may not want to learn LINUX but if he
| wants new hardware......
|
| The XP would replace LINUX. PC would be single boot XP system.
|
| Buying just the XP software is relatively expensive, I may be better getting
| one of the store PC deals. You can buy a PC, monitor & printer for about
| $300 to $400 after rebates.
|
| Granted, the PC is not the newest/fastest technology but it would be several
| times faster than what he currently has.
|
| Thanks for the feedback.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:46:30 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>XP and Linux can be set up in a dual boot environment , if that is what you
>wish. I personally have no experience here, though I am sure others here
>have, or you could try a google search for " dual booting windows xp and
>linux"..

I've been looking into this myself. The consensus seems to be that
Windows is not happy if it's the second operating system installed.
The OP might want to uninstall Linux temporarily, install Windows
clean, then reinstall Linux with a Linux-based dual-boot manager
such as GRUB.

I haven't done this myself yet, but am getting ready for our local
LUG's Install Fest in two weeks' time.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:08:25 GMT, "john czarnuszewicz"
<jaczar@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Buying just the XP software is relatively expensive, I may be better getting
>one of the store PC deals.

Look for OEM Windows XP -- a generic (legal) XP disc with some
trivial piece of hardware.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

testy

That is NOT an upgrade it is a DOWNGRADE! Please seek
psychiatric help.

Testy