Asus VE276Q, LG W2753V-PF, or Viewsonic VX2739WM

iamlogic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I find myself in the market for a 27 inch lcd with gaming being the primary focus and movies next. Prices, input lag and response times are coming down and I'm dying to get rid of some of this excess desk space. I'm looking to spend up to $400 and I've narrowed it down to three choices: ASUS VE276Q, LG W2753V-PF, or Viewsonic VX2739WM. Maybe the Samsung P2770H could be thrown in the mix, but I've not had great luck with Samsung in the past so I'm leery about that option. Not that I have anything against Samsung, I'm not a hater, just haven't had the best of luck. Currently using an LG l227wt and I am really pleased with its performance, appearance and quality.

I'm having a hard time finding any good performance related information on the three monitors. I've looked around on various forums and review sites (DigitalVersus, PRAD, TFT Central, IT Review and the like) but haven't found any definitive info, except for the Viewsonic monitor on TFT Central, which wasn't really a bad or good review. Any advice, recommendations or link that anyone can give will be appreciated.

mSoap

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I am in the same boat as you. I have been looking at the ASUS VE276Q mainly becuase it has a display port input, and I plan on doing the whole eyefinity thing with three of the displays. Newegg does seem to have 7 good reviews but they seem to be from people upgradeing to a 27in for the first time and would be happy with anything that turned on correctly. Whould be nice to get some in depth reviews.

xSidx1337x

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I just purchased the VE276Q about a week ago.

I was using a 2007WFP for a while, the 20 inch S-IPS dell.

The VE276Q is probably one of the best purchases i made in a while. I got it off Amazon free shipping and the shipping was like 3 days after i purchased it.

The monitor itself, the picture quality is top notch for a TN panel. The viewing angles aren't SUPERB, but unlike many other TNs. The response time is absolutely fantastic, i was playing my XBOX 360 on VGA and Gears 2 looked pretty legit. Movie quality on 1080P Blu-Rays is great, but i felt as though i needed to tinker with the controls big time to get desired color controls.

Here is a link i used that features people taking pictures of the monitor itself. Good luck with the decision guys.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1533341&highlight=VE276Q

G

I'm also looking for a new 27" LCD monitor. In addition to the three you've selected, I'm also considering the HP 2710m and the Samsung P2770H. With not many expert/professional/website reviews, we're forced to mainly consider the user reviews primarily on Newegg.com and Amazon.com. Although the user reviews are quite often repetitive (praising and complaining about the same things), I've used the info to help me narrow down the five finalists.

First of all, both the HP 2710m and the Samsung P2770H have only a 1-year warranty. Even though several websites list the Samsung P2770H as having a 3-year warranty, I printed the actual warranty from the Samsung website. The heading of the limited warranty page states, "Warranty Information for P2770H - Parts: 12 months, Labor: 12 months." A Newegg user review questioned the warranty and caused me to research it. The 3 other monitors (ASUS, LG and Viewsonic) all have 3-year limited parts and labor warranties. As a result, I have eliminated both the HP and Samsung monitors from contention.

Since it quite difficult to determine when a particular monitor first went on sale, I use the OLDEST user review dates on both Amazon and Newegg as a benchmark:

1. ASUS VE276Q - The oldest review date on both websites is 7-20-10. Also, this monitor's User Guide (that I downloaded from the ASUS website) is dated April, 2010. So this monitor is new to the market.

2. LG W2753V-PF - The oldest Amazon review date is 5-9-09. The oldest Newegg review date is 3-31-09. So this monitor has been available for at least 16 months.

3. Viewsonic VX2739WM - The oldest Amazon review date is 6-5-10. The oldest Newegg review date is 5-24-10. So this monitor is also new to the market.

Although I'm nearing a final decision, I'm also leaning toward the ASUS VE276Q. One feature I like is the Aspect Ratio Control. You have the option of selecting a 4:3 aspect ratio if the widescreen image appears distorted.

The price for the ASUS VE276Q at Amazon may be the lowest for you. However, since it "ships from and is sold by" Buy.com, I'll be charged 9.75% sales tax and a $16 environmental/recycling fee (since I live in CA). The lowest out-of-state TOTAL price (no tax, no shipping, no fee) I've found is at PC Nation for $346.69. However, even though the TOTAL price at Compuplus ($333.59 + $27.99 shipping = $361.58) is about $15 greater, they offer a "100% customer satisfaction guarantee" and a "30 day money back guarantee." This is not just a return policy if the monitor is defective, you can return it (with all the original packaging) for whatever reason. Now I think that's worth the $15 difference.

I hope some of these insights will help you make a decision. Good luck.

trashcanman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

You are wrong about the warranty for the Samsung P2770H. Samsung currently has two similar 27inch LCD models, one is P2770H and one is P2770HD. The latter is the one with that comes with a built in HD tuner and only a one year warranty. The P2770H has a 3 year warranty.

VisionX302

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm also trying to answer the question of which 27" monitor to buy. I've narrowed it down to the HP 2710m and the new Asus VK278Q. The specs on the Asus are better across the board except for brightness. I do like how bright the glossy HP appears though. I wish there were some good professional reviews to point out something I might miss. Several stores have the HP where I can take a look at it, but so far only Newegg has the Asus.

Royal Majesty

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010

I just recently bought an HP 2710m and returned it to Amazon. Not because it was broken, but because it "rainbows" HORRIBLY and makes it virtually unusable as all you can concentrate on is that the bottom of the screen is bluish and the top is pinkish and the left and right edges also are colored. As you move your head around, this effect follows you which leads me to believe this SEVERE problem is either the glass (which is glossy, in case you didn't know) causing a prismic effect or something with the pixels. As it has a glossy surface, saturation is great. But you WILL go NUTS when viewing white pages like this one and having both eyes constantly seeing a slightly different colored image and nothing actually truly being white as it's gonna either be bluish or pinkish except dead middle.

I replaced the 2710m with the Asus VE276Q and I am TERRIBLY glad I did! Not only is this monitor cheaper, but its color is MUCH more natural and this color shifting is FAR less pronounced. I'm sad to report that the only way to get true and even white over the entire VE276Q is to view the screen from as far back as you would normally be sitting with your eyes at a level that would put them right at the top of the screen. If you view the screen with your eyes dead center, you will notice the top of the screen is darker than the bottom. This is not really noticeable though and I don't want to scare anybody away with that. I doubt it is any worse than other non-IPS monitors and I never even noticed this fact until I used a photo for my wallpaper that was essentially a medium neutral grey. Such a color exposes all flaws and that's really the only way I could tell it was less than superb.

I wanted to get the VE278Q, which is the same monitor as the VE276Q but with an LED backlight but I couldn't get a reasonable shipping rate the way I could with this monitor so that fact would have wound up costing me almost $200 more than the VE276Q. If you can get the same shipping rate for both Asus monitors, you may want to get the VE278Q for about $50 more if you can afford it. I read a review on Amazon from a guy that switched from the VE276Q to the VE278Q and said the VE278Q was a BIT better. In his words, a 9.0 out of 10 for the VE276Q and a 9.4 for the VE278Q.

I have to tell you, even after extensive color adjusting, it still just can't match the color quality or saturation of my 21.5" Samsung SyncMaster though. However, if you want a 27" SyncMaster, you're looking at nearly a grand for it. If you've got the money, that would probably be the way to go. Otherwise, though I haven't used every 27 out there, I have to say that I am VERY satisfied with my VE276Q. And it only cost me a bit over $300 shipped. :)