Cannot install Windows XP Pro on 8400

I just built a Dell 8400 (1GB DDR2 Ram, 2 x 200GB SATA Hard Drives
(RAID 1), 16x NEC Dual sided DVD writer (no floppy drive). I am unabe
to load Windows XP Pro from the CD/DVD Writer drive. It does not
recognize it as a bootable drive. I have changed the settings in the
BIOS for the CD/DVD writer drive to be the 1st drive, and pressed F12
and chosen the CDROM drive, but I keep getting the 'Press F1 to
continue, press F2 to enter setup utility.

Should I :
1) Purchase an EXternal floppy drive and load floppy disks for the XP
Pro CD or

2) Purchase a second drive (CD/DVD ROM drive - Reader only)?

Thx

There's something I'm missing here...doesn't Dell build the 8400?

Ted Zieglar

<whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I just built a Dell 8400 (1GB DDR2 Ram, 2 x 200GB SATA Hard Drives
> (RAID 1), 16x NEC Dual sided DVD writer (no floppy drive). I am unabe
> to load Windows XP Pro from the CD/DVD Writer drive. It does not
> recognize it as a bootable drive. I have changed the settings in the
> BIOS for the CD/DVD writer drive to be the 1st drive, and pressed F12
> and chosen the CDROM drive, but I keep getting the 'Press F1 to
> continue, press F2 to enter setup utility.
>
> Should I :
> 1) Purchase an EXternal floppy drive and load floppy disks for the XP
> Pro CD or
>
> 2) Purchase a second drive (CD/DVD ROM drive - Reader only)?
>

> Thx

3) you should describe in more detail what you have done to this system and
let us help you resolve this boot problem. what does it say above the
"press f1 to continue, f2 to enter setup" line?

<whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I just built a Dell 8400 (1GB DDR2 Ram, 2 x 200GB SATA Hard Drives
> (RAID 1), 16x NEC Dual sided DVD writer (no floppy drive). I am unabe
> to load Windows XP Pro from the CD/DVD Writer drive. It does not
> recognize it as a bootable drive. I have changed the settings in the
> BIOS for the CD/DVD writer drive to be the 1st drive, and pressed F12
> and chosen the CDROM drive, but I keep getting the 'Press F1 to
> continue, press F2 to enter setup utility.
>
> Should I :
> 1) Purchase an EXternal floppy drive and load floppy disks for the XP
> Pro CD or
>
> 2) Purchase a second drive (CD/DVD ROM drive - Reader only)?
>

> Thx

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

F12 at Dell spash screen will rtake you to the boot menu choose CD from
there if its not listed check to make sure you connections are ok , also
check to see if the CD drive is enabled as a boot device in the Bios i think
its space bar to enable