I am pretty sure I have a registry or file problem. Win XP Home starts to
load at about 4 seconds a blue screen loads and imidiately the computer
shuts down and restarts. The blue screen goes so fast that I can't read it
or get a picture of it. I have tried the Pause/Break Key but it does not
stop it.
I have read a few of the Win xp articles but cannot find one that works to
fix the issue.
I have tried a repair with the XP disk. This is a compaq laptop. At present
I do not have the restore disks with me and would like to not have to
reformate the drive.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Loretta

Some viruses do that...have you scanned from a bootable AV CD or such?
It could also be hardware.
Have you tried disabling cacheable BIOS and video and maybe the onchip
cache.
I had a CPU that the cache went bad recently and it acted somewhat like
that.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>I am pretty sure I have a registry or file problem. Win XP Home starts to
> load at about 4 seconds a blue screen loads and imidiately the computer
> shuts down and restarts. The blue screen goes so fast that I can't read it
> or get a picture of it. I have tried the Pause/Break Key but it does not
> stop it.
> I have read a few of the Win xp articles but cannot find one that works to
> fix the issue.
> I have tried a repair with the XP disk. This is a compaq laptop. At
> present
> I do not have the restore disks with me and would like to not have to
> reformate the drive.
> I appreciate any help.
> Thanks
> Loretta

"Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>I am pretty sure I have a registry or file problem. Win XP Home starts to
> load at about 4 seconds a blue screen loads and imidiately the computer
> shuts down and restarts. The blue screen goes so fast that I can't read it
> or get a picture of it. I have tried the Pause/Break Key but it does not
> stop it.
> I have read a few of the Win xp articles but cannot find one that works to
> fix the issue.
> I have tried a repair with the XP disk. This is a compaq laptop. At
> present
> I do not have the restore disks with me and would like to not have to
> reformate the drive.
> I appreciate any help.
> Thanks
> Loretta

The first thing you should do is turn off the auto restart function. You can
do so in the following way:

1) Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 repeatedly while booting. A menu
should appear whereby you can shoose safe mode.

2) Right click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and choose
properties.

3) Click on the Advanced tab.

4) click on the Settings button under Startup & Recovery

5) Under "System Failure, make sure that "Automatically restart" is
**unchecked**

6) Restart your system. Your system should now bluescreen and present you
with an error code you can google for or search microsoft's knowledge base.

There will also be a number such as: STOP 0x0000000A. You can trouble shoot
the error with this number as well.

Perhaps though, what you might try first is running System Restore while
you're in safe mode, restoring to a point before your problems occurred.

Hark