can't add optional Windows components

When I try to install optional Windows components, the process starts, then I
get a message that Windows can't copy <filename>. If I skip that file, I get
the same message for all subsequent files. The path to my CD is correct, and
I can see the file in the browse screen. I tried copying the i386 folder to
my desktop and reading the file from there, but got the same result. I also
tried putting my CD in a networked drive on another machine and running from
there. Always the same result. Does anyone know what would cause this? I have
SP2 installed and am trying to install components from an original pre-SP1
WinXP Pro CD.

Have you cleaned the CD drive and checked the WIndows CD for scratches &
dirt?

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"domendonfors" <domendonfors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to install optional Windows components, the process starts,
> then I
> get a message that Windows can't copy <filename>. If I skip that file, I
> get
> the same message for all subsequent files. The path to my CD is correct,
> and
> I can see the file in the browse screen. I tried copying the i386 folder
> my desktop and reading the file from there, but got the same result. I
> also
> tried putting my CD in a networked drive on another machine and running
> from
> there. Always the same result. Does anyone know what would cause this? I
> have
> SP2 installed and am trying to install components from an original pre-SP1
> WinXP Pro CD.

Thanks, but that's not it. The drive reads fine as long as I'm not in setup.

"NotMe" wrote:

> Have you cleaned the CD drive and checked the WIndows CD for scratches &
> dirt?
>
> --
> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "domendonfors" <domendonfors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to install optional Windows components, the process starts,
> > then I
> > get a message that Windows can't copy <filename>. If I skip that file, I
> > get
> > the same message for all subsequent files. The path to my CD is correct,
> > and
> > I can see the file in the browse screen. I tried copying the i386 folder
> > my desktop and reading the file from there, but got the same result. I
> > also
> > tried putting my CD in a networked drive on another machine and running
> > from
> > there. Always the same result. Does anyone know what would cause this? I
> > have
> > SP2 installed and am trying to install components from an original pre-SP1
> > WinXP Pro CD.

I have had defective install CDs, I fought a machine for months because of a
defective XP CD (hologram and all).
I accidentally installed from a different CD and it has worked fine ever
since.

--
> Thanks, but that's not it. The drive reads fine as long as I'm not in
> setup.
> "NotMe" wrote:
>> Have you cleaned the CD drive and checked the WIndows CD for scratches &
>> dirt?
>> A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
>> "domendonfors" <domendonfors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to install optional Windows components, the process starts,
>> > then I get a message that Windows can't copy <filename>. If I skip that
>> > file, I
>> > get the same message for all subsequent files. The path to my CD is
>> > correct,
>> > and I can see the file in the browse screen. I tried copying the i386
>> > folder
>> > to my desktop and reading the file from there, but got the same result.
>> > also tried putting my CD in a networked drive on another machine and
>> > running
>> > from there. Always the same result. Does anyone know what would cause
>> > this? I
>> > have SP2 installed and am trying to install components from an original
>> > pre-SP1
>> > WinXP Pro CD.

Well, just to make sure, I tried installing IIS from a different install CD,
which had the same result. I'm able to install other optional component, just
not IIS or components of it.