I had a java/byte/verify virus on my computer that AVG removed and DSO
Exploit that spybot 1.4 removed however my internet speed has slowed. I have
been to wilders security forum added extra security and cleaning programmes
but still no faster, they also did a hijack test but couldn't help. So I was
thinking of removing all programmes and then reloading them. Is this the
best option? I can of course remove programmes but how do I wipe the slate
clean and start again?

If you have a copy of XP on CD and a copy of every program you presently
have on your computer its not hard just time consuming.
Place the XP Cd in place.....enter your system BIOS and have the CD drive as
the 1st boot device......restart and watch for "press any key to start from
CD"........do so and XP setup menu will appear.Pick a new installation and
format the HD during the process.This wipes everything off the
drive............needless to say you should save whatever you wish to.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp.

peterk