inspiron 8600 high pitched whine

My new inspiron 8600 has developed a couple of days after delivery a quiet
but still noticable high pitched whine coming from it, this while goes away
when the hard drive is being accessed, but is there when it is not. Anyone
see this before and what it might portend??? I still have time to return the
unit if this is an indication of a problem. thnx

BigJim

the only moving parts are the hard drive, cd drive and the fan.
I though I had a whine in mine but it was just the wife in the next room.

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the only moving parts are the hard drive, cd drive and the fan.
> I though I had a whine in mine but it was just the wife in the next room.

Oh, man...

yes I can appreciate that. I usually ask my wife if she wants some cheese
with her whine

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> the only moving parts are the hard drive, cd drive and the fan.
>> I though I had a whine in mine but it was just the wife in the next room.
>
> Oh, man...

Strange. I have the EXACT same thing. I thought it was the hard drive
because, like your machine, the noise would stop when the hard drive was
being accesses. That surprised me, so I ran the machine with the case open
and listened carefully. It turns out it's one of the back fans, so I'm not
as concerned any more. But it is STILL annoying.

"Billy Radio" <droozor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My new inspiron 8600 has developed a couple of days after delivery a quiet
> but still noticable high pitched whine coming from it, this while goes
> away when the hard drive is being accessed, but is there when it is not.
> Anyone see this before and what it might portend??? I still have time to
> return the unit if this is an indication of a problem. thnx

turned out to be a power setting for one of the usb controllers. Go
figure!

Guess Who wrote:
> Strange. I have the EXACT same thing. I thought it was the hard
drive
> because, like your machine, the noise would stop when the hard drive
was
> being accesses. That surprised me, so I ran the machine with the
case open
> and listened carefully. It turns out it's one of the back fans, so
I'm not
> as concerned any more. But it is STILL annoying.
>

> "

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I had that problem also. It was very annoying and loud. This has been
a constant problem for Dell. I would think they would change the fan
but so far they have not.

Return the system and get another one. I did and the one I have now
does not have the whine.