Chrisinfrance

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I have an Epson perfection 660 scanner. As of yesterday I have a new tower with Windows 7 installed. My Epson disc is far too old and at the moment I am unable to access the hard drive in the old tower. I hope that I can recover info - more questions later.

I downloaded from Epson driver and software Epson 19439.eu.zip.

I installed it. Scanner icon appears on desktop but when I try to open it there is the message Scanner not found.

I have checked all of the plugs and they are all secure. Please advise. The problem is not cured by restart.

Regards,
chrisinfrance

G

There areWin 7 32 and 64 bit drivers available -- did you get the right one ?

There's no mention of Twain on the support section -- but I user older Epson models so maybe not relevant.

Have you tried starting the scanner via Control Panel, Scanners & Cameras (or whatever it's called in Win7) ?

Have you tried starting the scanner via a program like Photoshop or Windows Paint ?

Are other USB devices working in that socket ?

Chrisinfrance

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
There areWin 7 32 and 64 bit drivers available -- did you get the right one ?

There's no mention of Twain on the support section -- but I user older Epson models so maybe not relevant.

Have you tried starting the scanner via Control Panel, Scanners & Cameras (or whatever it's called in Win7) ?

Have you tried starting the scanner via a program like Photoshop or Windows Paint ?

Are other USB devices working in that socket ?

I need 64 bit. I assumed that Epson was recomending the correct download. How would I tell? The loss of Twain does cause me a problem. I had it originally - seems a lifetime ago now. I have tried to find free Twain software without success so far.

I will try going through Control Panel tomorrow.

I haven't swopped items in USBs yet as I am a bit movement restricted after a fall a couple of days ago. Will check it out.

Thanks,
Chris in France

G

I've experienced probs with Epson's slightly haphazard scanner driver availability myself having had helpful noises but no actual help from their techs by e-mail.

I found the right combination only by going through all the likely English language Epson sites, finally finding the Twain and Epson Scan combination that I wanted for a Perfection 1200 SCSI model on to the Canadian site.

Recently needed software for a USB Perf 1200 and went through the same routine -- even so the software doesn't quite work as per the SCSI version with the useful file size preview feature missing. Bonkers but better than some brands.

If you get totally stuck have a look at Silverfast or Vuescan -- they're not free but claim to perform better than Epson's own (though I have no complaints about Epson quality).

Chrisinfrance

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hi,

Just got back from a short holiday. Still no luck with the scanner software. Epson said they have no intention of providing it and told me I should have consulted them before upgrading my system. I'll remember to seek their advice before my computer crashes in future. LOL!! I tried all of the english Epson sites with same result.

I tried an online sample of Vuescan. It works but I do not have the spare cash at the moment. Usually if something is available it isn't long before some geek puts a version on the web for free. This doesn't seem to have happened this time. Bad luck for me. I will keep looking but don't hold out much hope. I think that the attitude of Epson stinks and it should be publicized worldwide.

Regards,
Chris

G

My only new suggestion is that you make sure you have a Twain-enabled program like Photoshop Elements loaded and running. You should not need this but my recent experience with a slide scanner was that this appeared to load but refused to do anything until Photoshop was started (the slide scanner wouldn't even work with Windows Paint which I recall has worked in the past with Twain stuff).

I'm not optimistic that the above will help you but may be worth a try.

My understanding was that Epson did have a Win7 driver -- though 64 bit is a problem with many brands.
My experience is the Epson support staff don't know what they do or do not have on older models so keep looking on Epson sites.

The key problem is that manufacturers change models the whole time and have little incentive to update drivers on older ones. If you upgrade your operating system there's a strong chance you'll have problems with older hardware.

Epson are not the worst. You only have to look at Apple -- I obtained my first Epson scanner from the garbage because Apple having "always" used SCSI simply dropped support for SCSI on a new generation of Macs. Users had to chuck out their investment in peripherals like my free Epson and some very expensive film scanners.

Vuescan and Silverfast are produced by small companies, are minority products and the software isn't very expensive. Cracked copies (if any) are likely to have malware.

I'd pay up or, as the Perfection 660 showed up as "poor" in the one review I read, have a look at a new scanner (from Canon ?).

G

Hi,

I have the exactly same problem. At the Epson support I had no luck. The only solution I found is the Vuescan driver/software but I also don't have the spare money for that.

The only thing I decided is that in the future I definitely won't buy any Epson equipment... :(

G

rmsnegrao:

Having recently used Canon and HP scanners I think I would suggest you stick with Epson.

Their software, when available (!) is pretty good by comparison with rivals. And I think the construction quality of Epson (I have Perfection and Expression models) is better than HP.

The 660 is an old model now and I'm not altogether surprised they haven't updated the drivers to Win7

rudpo999

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Solved the Problem of Epson Perfection 660 Scanner Drivers for 64 bit Windows 7. There are really no drivers for this scanner anywhere as I tried everywhere.

HOWEVER we are lucky we have a program that will solve the problem of our old and aging scanners. :bounce:

Just go to http://www.hamrick.com/ and download the program VueScan. Once you install it, it installs the driver for your old scanner, if you accept it to install the driver for your scanner.

I tried it with my Epson Perfection 660 Scanner in 64 bit Windows 7; and it works very nice. When I tried to see my Device Manager I saw that it actually installs the driver for my Epson Perfection 660 Scanner.

Thanks to Cris for his post in http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/scanners/win-7-64-bit-driver-epson-perfection-660-a-497127.html.

utopicdog

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I have an old epson perfection 1650 scanner. windows 7 and epson said no go but they are all TWAIN drivers, so the nearest TWAIN driver I found for 7 (mine is 64 bit) was the perfection 2400 scanner. I downloaded and installed the driver. then when the machine said there was a problem with the driver I explicitly told it to use the 2400 driver (you have to go through 7 or 8 lots of 'properties' or 'no I want to choose' or 'yes do it I don't care if it all ends in tears')

works fine.

jbphuket

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I had the same problem. After a lot of trial and error I tried the Vista drivers for Epson 640U. It worked! It is available from Epson. (epson 12242.exe)
Regards jannie