Xnews - 480 Authentication

26/Aug/2005 21:28

RE: Xnews - 480 Authentication

I go to start this program and I get that this is REQUIRED before I
can proceed. What is "480 Authentication"?

Thank you,

Barry Karas

See http://www.cit.cornell.edu/helpdesk/win/news/nnposts.html

The newsserver to which you're trying to connect using this newsreader now
requires Authentication. Check with the newsserver admin.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Barry Karas wrote:
> 26/Aug/2005 21:28
>
> RE: Xnews - 480 Authentication
>
> I go to start this program and I get that this is REQUIRED before I
> can proceed. What is "480 Authentication"?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry Karas

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

Barry Karas wrote:
> *26/Aug/2005 21:28
>
> RE: Xnews - 480 Authentication
>
> I go to start this program and I get that this is REQUIRED before I
> can proceed. What is "480 Authentication"?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry Karas *

Error 480: Authentication required for command

Problem: Before you may post articles with Network News, you need to
configure your news program with your Network ID and password. After
you enter this information, you must quit the network news program and
restart it because it checks your Net ID and password when it starts.
You do not need to quit and restart windows or EZ Remote.

Solution: The directions for configuring your news reader differ based
on the application you use.

If you are using windows you need to do this.
1 Go to the Config menu and pick Communications.
2 In the section entitled "Authorization Information" enter your
Network ID in the box labelled "Username" (enter your Network ID in
lower-case letters and do not add @ cornell.edu or who ever you are
signed up with on the end).
3 In the same section, enter your password in the box labelled
"Password" (remember that your password is case-sensitive).
4 Click OK.
5 You should also go to the Config menu and pick Personal Info, then
fill in the boxes there with your name, e-mail address etc.
6 Click OK.
7 Quit Windows and restart it and try posting again.

Hope this info helps you.

--
thedon57

Barry Karas <bkaras@adelphia.net> wrote in:

> 26/Aug/2005 21:28
>
> RE: Xnews - 480 Authentication
>
> I go to start this program and I get that this is REQUIRED before I
> can proceed. What is "480 Authentication"?

I see thedon57 has answered this. For more help with Xnews, take a look at
news.software.readers

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>