Spybot question

August 26, 2005 10:55:02 PM

Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and Spybot.
Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.

Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if they
are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or have an
opinion?

Thanx--Irishman

More about : spybot question

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:03:51 AM

Don't have Spybot fix them:

1. Install the Spybot v1.4 updates released today, close and reopen Spybot,
Immunize and scan again.

2. See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.securit...,
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3...,
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3... or any of the
other hundred or so posts about this at Spybot Support forum at
http://forums.net-integration.net.

Basically, you've told Windows Security Center (WSC) that you will monitor
your third-party firewall's and anti-virus app's status because in the past
WSC wasn't able to. Open WSC and check to see if it can monitor it now. You
may be surprised.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Irishman wrote:
> Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> Spybot. Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
>
> Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> they are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or
> have an opinion?
>
> Thanx--Irishman
August 27, 2005 5:59:14 AM

Letting Spybot fix them will cause no problems.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Irishman" <Irishman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> Spybot.
> Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
>
> Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> they
> are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or have an
> opinion?
>
> Thanx--Irishman
Related resources
August 27, 2005 5:59:43 AM

That happens with the update as well.

--

> Don't have Spybot fix them:
>
> 1. Install the Spybot v1.4 updates released today, close and reopen
> Spybot, Immunize and scan again.
>
> 2. See
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.securit...,
> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3...,
> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3... or any of the
> other hundred or so posts about this at Spybot Support forum at
> http://forums.net-integration.net.
>
> Basically, you've told Windows Security Center (WSC) that you will monitor
> your third-party firewall's and anti-virus app's status because in the
> past WSC wasn't able to. Open WSC and check to see if it can monitor it
> now. You may be surprised.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> Irishman wrote:
>> Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
>> Spybot. Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
>> Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
>> Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings,
>> see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
>> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
>> HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
>>
>> Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
>> they are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or
>> have an opinion?
>>
>> Thanx--Irishman

August 27, 2005 10:59:01 AM

Thanx for the advice!

Irishman

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Don't have Spybot fix them:
>
> 1. Install the Spybot v1.4 updates released today, close and reopen Spybot,
> Immunize and scan again.
>
> 2. See
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.securit...,
> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3...,
> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3... or any of the
> other hundred or so posts about this at Spybot Support forum at
> http://forums.net-integration.net.
>
> Basically, you've told Windows Security Center (WSC) that you will monitor
> your third-party firewall's and anti-virus app's status because in the past
> WSC wasn't able to. Open WSC and check to see if it can monitor it now. You
> may be surprised.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> Irishman wrote:
> > Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> > Spybot. Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> > Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> > Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> > see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> > Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> > HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
> >
> > Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> > they are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or
> > have an opinion?
> >
> > Thanx--Irishman

August 27, 2005 11:00:02 AM

Thanx for the advice. I appreciate it!

"Kelly" wrote:

> That happens with the update as well.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> > Don't have Spybot fix them:
> >
> > 1. Install the Spybot v1.4 updates released today, close and reopen
> > Spybot, Immunize and scan again.
> >
> > 2. See
> > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.securit...,
> > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3...,
> > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3... or any of the
> > other hundred or so posts about this at Spybot Support forum at
> > http://forums.net-integration.net.
> >
> > Basically, you've told Windows Security Center (WSC) that you will monitor
> > your third-party firewall's and anti-virus app's status because in the
> > past WSC wasn't able to. Open WSC and check to see if it can monitor it
> > now. You may be surprised.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >

> > Irishman wrote:
> >> Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> >> Spybot. Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> >> Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> >> Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings,
> >> see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> >> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> >> HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
> >>
> >> Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> >> they are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or
> >> have an opinion?
> >>
> >> Thanx--Irishman

August 27, 2005 11:01:02 AM

Thanx! This is good to know.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Letting Spybot fix them will cause no problems.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Irishman" <Irishman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> > Spybot.
> > Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> > Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> > Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> > see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> > Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> > HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
> >
> > Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> > they
> > are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or have an
> > opinion?
> >
> > Thanx--Irishman

August 27, 2005 11:03:01 AM

Thank you. That's good to know.
Irishman

"Kelly" wrote:

> Letting Spybot fix them will cause no problems.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Irishman" <Irishman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> > Spybot.
> > Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> > Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> > Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> > see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> > Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> > HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
> >
> > Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> > they
> > are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or have an
> > opinion?
> >
> > Thanx--Irishman

August 27, 2005 5:08:09 PM

Right click on them and choose ignore this detection in the future.

Alias

"Irishman" <Irishman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> Spybot.
> Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
>
> Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> they
> are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or have an
> opinion?
>
> Thanx--Irishman
August 27, 2005 5:08:10 PM

Thank you. That's an approach I hadn't thoght of.
Irishman

"Alias" wrote:

> Right click on them and choose ignore this detection in the future.
>
> Alias
>
> "Irishman" <Irishman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Am running XP, using AntiSpyware Beta, McAfee AntiVirus, AdAware and
> > Spybot.
> > Recently Spybot reports 2 problems:1) Windows Security
> > Center,AntiVirusDisable Notify and 2) Windows Security
> > Center.FirewallDiaableNotify. If I drill down one level under settings, I
> > see:HKEY\LOCAL\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> > Center\FirewallDisableNotify!dword=0 and
> > HKEY\...\AntiVirusDisableNotify!dword=0.
> >
> > Am hesitant to let Spybot "Fix" these "problems because I don't know if
> > they
> > are real HKEY entries or bogus. Anyone experience this before or have an
> > opinion?
> >
> > Thanx--Irishman

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:31:39 PM

I didn't suggest updating would address the problem.

!