Properties window inaccessible from right-clicking on desk..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi all,

When I right-click on my desktop and click on "Properties", nothing
comes up. My XP is functioning well except for this problem. Am I
missing any file? Please help!

Ben
5 answers Last reply
More about properties window inaccessible right clicking desk
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    crescent_au@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > When I right-click on my desktop and click on "Properties", nothing
    > comes up. My XP is functioning well except for this problem. Am I
    > missing any file? Please help!
    >
    > Ben

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -

    Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
    Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

    Slow right-click and other issues -

    Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

    This can also be caused by viruses and/or malware, so make sure your
    computer is clean:

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    crescent_au@yahoo.com wrote:

    |>Hi all,
    |>
    |>When I right-click on my desktop and click on "Properties", nothing
    |>comes up. My XP is functioning well except for this problem. Am I
    |>missing any file? Please help!

    desk.cpl is the file that shows desktop properties.

    Might make sure it's still on your system and in the system32
    directory.

    Start\run desk.cpl <enter> will run it if it's available.

    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    i searched for this file and it is present in my system under 2
    locations: c:\windows\system32 and c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386.
    Both these files are 132KB in size. But when I try to run it from Start
    > Run, nothing happens. What do I do?

    Ben
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    crescent_au@yahoo.com wrote:

    > i searched for this file and it is present in my system under 2
    > locations: c:\windows\system32 and c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386.
    > Both these files are 132KB in size. But when I try to run it from
    > Start
    >> Run, nothing happens. What do I do?
    >
    > Ben

    What is the status of your computer's cleanliness re viruses and
    malware?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I use Ad-aware, System Mechanic and Kaspersky Anti-virus. My system
    looks clean.

Support Microsoft Windows XP