Should I turn off computer at night?

HI,

Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?

I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband, router.

Thanks
24 answers Last reply
More about should turn computer night

    Always wise to turn it off to let any changes you've made or up-grades to
    get a fresh start each day ... also cools down processor, lets the monitor
    cool down and live longer ...also is the ultimate firewall, a powersaver....
    do you keep your car running, or your TV set on all night?
    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > HI,
    >
    > Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    >
    > I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband,
    > router.
    >
    > Thanks

    my tv is another monster altogether, sometimes its on forever, i like the
    background noise
    --
    xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
    vig mobo,900gz,

    "BigJIm" wrote:

    > I leave mine on at night because it keeps the cockroaches away, I think it
    > is the fan noise.
    >
    > "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    > >
    > > I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband,
    > > router.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    I leave mine on (24/7/365) but turn the monitor off when Im not using it to
    save on monitor life.
    I personally dont think it matters much weather its on all the time or you
    keep turning it on or off. Like what has been said before... Personal
    Preference.

    I leave mine on with a Notepad window open. When I have a good dream, I
    can come document it fast before I forget it!

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Asked/Answered elsewhere.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    bill wrote:

    >HI,
    >
    >Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    >
    >I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband, router.
    >
    >Thanks

    Set up a scheduled task to have your computer hibernate after, say, 1
    a.m. Hibernating saves your open applications.

    I found that, next to the furnace fan running continously, my computer
    was one of the biggest energy wasters.

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Friday 26 August 2005 07:04 pm, bill had this to
    say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > HI,
    >
    > Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    >
    > I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband,
    > router.
    >
    > Thanks

    Should you brush your teeth before going to bed or should you say a prayer
    before going to sleep? I guess that all boils down to personal preferences,
    doesn't it? Personally, I never turn off my computers and never have. They
    run 24/7/365.

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

    Most people schedule routine maintenance in the wee hours. If you have
    such, leave it on.
    Turn all of it off when you're gone for an extended period.
    Some run their TVs, stereos, PCs 24/7. Some run their AC in the spring and
    heat in the fall instead of opening their windows too, even though its
    comfortable outside, windows screens and security aside. Some leave their
    vehicles running when parked at the convenience store. Some people race to
    each traffic light, impeding traffic that's coordinated with the traffic
    lights.
    The required wattage of a PC has increased for the newer PCs. There's well
    over 300 million people in this country, should they leave their PCs on or
    off when not in use?

    bill wrote:

    > Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?

    This is a question that arises periodically and you get differing opinions
    from different people. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter much, and
    you should do whatever you want. These days computers mostly beome obsolete
    well before their parts wear out, regardless of whether you turn them off
    once an hour, once a day, or once a month.

    Personally I turn my computers on when I get up in the morning and off
    before I go to bed at night. I do it that way because it's most convenient
    for me.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Arthur wrote:

    > Always wise to turn it off to let any changes you've made or
    > up-grades to get a fresh start each day

    Rarely, if ever, is that necessary. Even it were, you could achieve the same
    thing by rebooting. Don't confuse rebooting with with powering off.

    >... also cools down
    > processor,

    Fans and heat sinks keep the processor cool. If you don't have adequate such
    cooling for when the computer is running, you're in trouble whether or not
    you turn it off at night.

    > lets the monitor cool down and live longer ...

    You can turn the monitor off without turning off the computer, and that
    often *is* a good idea.

    I don't say any of the above to argue that you should keep the computer on
    all night. I turn my computers off at night too. But my view is that it
    makes little or no difference which you do, and you should decide based more
    on personal convenience than anything else.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    > also is the
    > ultimate firewall, a powersaver.... do you keep your car running, or
    > your TV set on all night? "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    >> HI,
    >>
    >> Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    >>
    >> I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2,
    >> broadband, router.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    My Experience is that most errors occur during shutdown and reboot. Moreover
    if the machine is left on at night with low energy settings all the routine
    maintenance can be done in the small hours.

    So
    If is ain't broke, don't fix it and if it is running Ok don't turn it off
    unless you are going away for long enough for it to be a possible fire
    hazard
    --
    Uncle John

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:11:28 GMT, -rwxrw-r-- <nostop@stopspam.com>
    wrote:

    >Should you brush your teeth before going to bed or should you say a prayer
    >before going to sleep? I guess that all boils down to personal preferences,
    >doesn't it? Personally, I never turn off my computers and never have. They
    >run 24/7/365.

    Energy waster!

    Hi

    >>Should you brush your teeth before going to bed or should you say a prayer
    >>before going to sleep? I guess that all boils down to personal preferences,
    >>doesn't it? Personally, I never turn off my computers and never have. They
    >>run 24/7/365.
    >
    >Energy waster!

    Or Resource sharer!

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Saturday 27 August 2005 03:27 pm, Leif Nordmand
    Andersen had this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Hi
    >
    >>>Should you brush your teeth before going to bed or should you say a
    >>>prayer before going to sleep? I guess that all boils down to personal
    >>>preferences, doesn't it? Personally, I never turn off my computers and
    >>>never have. They run 24/7/365.
    >>
    >>Energy waster!
    >
    > Or Resource sharer!

    Neither you Wintards.

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
    To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

    As an addied note...
    Most I/O problems first rear their ugly head during bootup. These are
    usually RAM or power supply oriented. Doesn't really break anything
    further. If in a windows environment, after the system is booted and left
    on for awhile, this can trash your hard drive files and even the filesystem.
    But, what do I know.... I'm not a software geek.

    > Most people schedule routine maintenance in the wee hours. If you have
    > such, leave it on.
    > Turn all of it off when you're gone for an extended period.
    > Some run their TVs, stereos, PCs 24/7. Some run their AC in the spring
    and
    > heat in the fall instead of opening their windows too, even though its
    > comfortable outside, windows screens and security aside. Some leave their
    > vehicles running when parked at the convenience store. Some people race
    > each traffic light, impeding traffic that's coordinated with the traffic
    > lights.
    > The required wattage of a PC has increased for the newer PCs. There's
    well
    > over 300 million people in this country, should they leave their PCs on or
    > off when not in use?
    >
    > "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    > >
    > > I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband,
    > router.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I found that, next to the furnace fan running continuously, my computer
    > was one of the biggest energy wasters.

    Running a mainframe are we. <lol> Silly comment and belief on your part

    --
    Peter

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:15:12 -0400, Pat Coghlan <info@coghlan.ca>
    wrote:

    >Set up a scheduled task to have your computer hibernate after, say, 1
    >a.m. Hibernating saves your open applications.
    >
    >I found that, next to the furnace fan running continously, my computer
    >was one of the biggest energy wasters.

    Two things Pat.
    Try to update your graphics driver.

    Second this is a caution.
    This may require a repair install.
    Turn on acpi in the bios.

    Greg Ro

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:50:56 -0500, "Lil' Dave"
    <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

    >Most people schedule routine maintenance in the wee hours. If you have
    >such, leave it on.
    >Turn all of it off when you're gone for an extended period.
    >Some run their TVs, stereos, PCs 24/7. Some run their AC in the spring and
    >heat in the fall instead of opening their windows too, even though its
    >comfortable outside, windows screens and security aside. Some leave their
    >vehicles running when parked at the convenience store. Some people race to
    >each traffic light, impeding traffic that's coordinated with the traffic
    >lights.
    >The required wattage of a PC has increased for the newer PCs. There's well
    >over 300 million people in this country, should they leave their PCs on or
    >off when not in use?

    Let make a turn off the computer night (I do another post with this
    idea). You now much oil the would save? Yes electric companies do
    use oil.

    I turn my off mine-because I have a fear of fire unless I'm download
    something. My xp computer is noisy. My 98 computer is not.
    I also believe turning off or hibernating your computer will save
    energy.

    Greg Ro

    Just as a side note - I have clients leave their computers on so that we
    can maintain them during off hours (they all have monitors that sleep),
    and I leave all the computers in my office on, and all the computers in
    my home on. The only devices that I power off are my laptops and my wax-
    thermal printers.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    "GregRo" <webworm11@lycosy.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:50:56 -0500, "Lil' Dave"
    > <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Most people schedule routine maintenance in the wee hours. If you have
    >>such, leave it on.
    >>Turn all of it off when you're gone for an extended period.
    >>Some run their TVs, stereos, PCs 24/7. Some run their AC in the spring
    >>and
    >>heat in the fall instead of opening their windows too, even though its
    >>comfortable outside, windows screens and security aside. Some leave their
    >>vehicles running when parked at the convenience store. Some people race
    >>each traffic light, impeding traffic that's coordinated with the traffic
    >>lights.
    >>The required wattage of a PC has increased for the newer PCs. There's
    >>well
    >>over 300 million people in this country, should they leave their PCs on or
    >>off when not in use?
    >
    > Let make a turn off the computer night (I do another post with this
    > idea). You now much oil the would save? Yes electric companies do
    > use oil.
    >
    > I turn my off mine-because I have a fear of fire unless I'm download
    > something. My xp computer is noisy. My 98 computer is not.
    > I also believe turning off or hibernating your computer will save
    > energy.
    >

    > Greg Ro

    Booting up takes up more energy than leaving it on.

    Alias
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Whatever doesn't come in when you turn it off will eventually come in when
    you turn it back on.

    "bill" wrote:

    > HI,
    >
    > Should I turn off computer at night or just leave it on?
    >
    > I have Dell desk top with LCD monitor, Windows XP Home sp2, broadband, router.
    >
    > Thanks
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "GregRo" <webworm11@lycosy.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:50:56 -0500, "Lil' Dave"
    > > <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Most people schedule routine maintenance in the wee hours. If you have
    > >>such, leave it on.
    > >>Turn all of it off when you're gone for an extended period.
    > >>Some run their TVs, stereos, PCs 24/7. Some run their AC in the spring
    > >>and
    > >>heat in the fall instead of opening their windows too, even though its
    > >>comfortable outside, windows screens and security aside. Some leave
    their
    > >>vehicles running when parked at the convenience store. Some people race
    > >>each traffic light, impeding traffic that's coordinated with the traffic
    > >>lights.
    > >>The required wattage of a PC has increased for the newer PCs. There's
    > >>well
    > >>over 300 million people in this country, should they leave their PCs on
    or
    > >>off when not in use?
    > >
    > > Let make a turn off the computer night (I do another post with this
    > > idea). You now much oil the would save? Yes electric companies do
    > > use oil.
    > >
    > > I turn my off mine-because I have a fear of fire unless I'm download
    > > something. My xp computer is noisy. My 98 computer is not.
    > > I also believe turning off or hibernating your computer will save
    > > energy.
    > >

    > > Greg Ro
    >
    > Booting up takes up more energy than leaving it on.
    >
    > Alias

    Nonsense in relation to this thread. Your car uses more gas when starting
    cold, than if you left it on for that time period during starting. Leave
    the car running all night as similar analogy to leaving a PC running all the
    time in reference to energy usage. Don't know of anyone that leaves their
    car running all night for obvious usage of gasoline consumption. If people
    treated their PCs as such, would save alot of energy.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "GregRo" <webworm11@lycosy.com> wrote in message

    > their
    > or
    >> >
    >> > Let make a turn off the computer night (I do another post with this
    >> > idea). You now much oil the would save? Yes electric companies do
    >> > use oil.
    >> >
    >> > I turn my off mine-because I have a fear of fire unless I'm download
    >> > something. My xp computer is noisy. My 98 computer is not.
    >> > I also believe turning off or hibernating your computer will save
    >> > energy.
    >> >

    >> > Greg Ro
    >>
    >> Booting up takes up more energy than leaving it on.
    >>
    >> Alias
    >>

    > Nonsense in relation to this thread. Your car uses more gas when starting
    > cold, than if you left it on for that time period during starting. Leave
    > the car running all night as similar analogy to leaving a PC running all
    > the
    > time in reference to energy usage. Don't know of anyone that leaves their
    > car running all night for obvious usage of gasoline consumption. If
    > people
    > treated their PCs as such, would save alot of energy.

    Horsepucky. One of the smallest consumers of energy is a computer. Now, if
    everyone would give up their cars ...

    Alias
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:41:24 +0200, "Alias"
    <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

    >Horsepucky. One of the smallest consumers of energy is a computer. Now, if
    >everyone would give up their cars ...

    That depends on the wattage of the computer(S) power supply and how
    fat the fan is running. How many other devices are plugged into the
    outlet.

    Microsoft would of not created standby or hibernation for the
    operating systems if it was not needed.

    I can't sleep if it running. I worry about fire hazard.
    I turn the surge protectors off at bed time.

    Greg Ro

Computers LCD Monitor Microsoft Windows XP