Bruce

Hi.

My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is on my C
drive, and 98 is on my D.
The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE. What is
the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I just boot to 98
and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of damaging my XP installation?
By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive, different partitions, if they weren't I
would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.

Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my e-mail
as well, I would be very gratefull!

my e-mail is:
avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

Arthur

Yes, boot to the 98 partition and upgrade that. 98 is on the FAT32 file
system, WinXP is NTFS, not compatable. Treat your virtual drive like a
separate HD

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is on my
> drive, and 98 is on my D.
> The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE. What is
> the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I just boot to 98
> and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of damaging my XP installation?
> By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive, different partitions, if they weren't
> would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.
>
> Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my
> e-mail
> as well, I would be very gratefull!
>
> my e-mail is:
> avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

Bruce

Thanks for the tip, however, both partitions are fat 32, and I can't change
my C drive to NTFS for other reasons. Do you think I should still try?

"Arthur" wrote:

> Yes, boot to the 98 partition and upgrade that. 98 is on the FAT32 file
> system, WinXP is NTFS, not compatable. Treat your virtual drive like a
> separate HD
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is on my
> > drive, and 98 is on my D.
> > The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE. What is
> > the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I just boot to 98
> > and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of damaging my XP installation?
> > By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive, different partitions, if they weren't
> > would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.
> >
> > Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my
> > e-mail
> > as well, I would be very gratefull!
> >
> > my e-mail is:
> > avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

Do the upgrade from 98 to 98SE
then do a repair installation of XP to fix the broken dual boot
peterk

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:10:43 -0700, "Arthur" <art@myhome.com> wrote:

>Yes, boot to the 98 partition and upgrade that. 98 is on the FAT32 file
>system, WinXP is NTFS, not compatable.

That is NOT necessarily true. Many, many Windows XP systems are
FAT32 also.

I believe in a dual-boot setup that when you boot to Win98 the WinXP
partition is invisible to the Win98 system regardless of disk
layout, but I'm not certain of this. Can someone say for certain?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

tRaX

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

|>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:10:43 -0700, "Arthur" <art@myhome.com> wrote:
|>
|>>Yes, boot to the 98 partition and upgrade that. 98 is on the FAT32 file
|>>system, WinXP is NTFS, not compatable.
|>
|>That is NOT necessarily true. Many, many Windows XP systems are
|>FAT32 also.

I run my XP home and pro both in FAT32.

|>I believe in a dual-boot setup that when you boot to Win98 the WinXP
|>partition is invisible to the Win98 system regardless of disk
|>layout, but I'm not certain of this. Can someone say for certain?

No, I've dual/triple booted Win95/98/NT/W2K/XP always on a FAT drive,
all the systems could access each other. Fact is when W2K or XP loads
they read the other OS's registry, If you just turn off Win98, W2K or
XP will run Chkdsk when it boots. :)

Nobody'd mention'd he's running Win98 on D: drive, that's quite a
trick and something that's pretty advanced.
--

http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/

Arthur wrote:

> Yes, boot to the 98 partition and upgrade that. 98 is on the FAT32
> file system, WinXP is NTFS, not compatable.

Not true. NTFS is entirely optional Windows XP supports NTFS, FAT32, FAT16,
and FAT12 in any and all combinations, regardless of what file system it
itself is installed on.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> Treat your virtual drive
> like a separate HD
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is
>> on my C
>> drive, and 98 is on my D.
>> The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE.
>> What is the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I
>> just boot to 98 and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of
>> damaging my XP installation? By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive,
>> different partitions, if they weren't I
>> would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.
>>
>> Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my
>> e-mail
>> as well, I would be very gratefull!
>>
>> my e-mail is:
>> avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is on my
> drive, and 98 is on my D.
> The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE. What
is
> the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I just boot to 98
> and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of damaging my XP installation?
> By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive, different partitions, if they weren't
> would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.
>
> Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my
e-mail
> as well, I would be very gratefull!
>
> my e-mail is:
> avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

Here is a alternative:
- Do the upgrade to Win98 SE
- Boot into a DOS Prompt (Press F8 at boot time)
- Run this command:

bootpart winnt boot:c:

This will restore your WinXP multi-boot menu. You can get
bootpart from here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:33:02 -0700, "Bruce"
<Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is on my C
>drive, and 98 is on my D.
> The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE. What is
>the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I just boot to 98
>and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of damaging my XP installation?
>By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive, different partitions, if they weren't I
>would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.
>
>Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my e-mail
>as well, I would be very gratefull!
>
>my e-mail is:
> avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

Are the two installs completely separate? Are ones files invisible to
the other? I'm guessing they are not, and don't know if that upgrade
would work.

But you could get a partitioning program like Partition Magic and
create separate, bootable partitions. Then, nothing you do on the 98
side would affect XP at all.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Andy

As long as you do not format the active primary partition, thereby not
destroying the files used to dual boot, dual boot will be preserved
when you update or reinstall Windows 98, 98se, or ME. As a matter of
fact, the Windows 98/98se/ME setup program is smart enough to update
the description of the operating system in boot.ini.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:46:02 -0700, "Bruce"
<Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the tip, however, both partitions are fat 32, and I can't change
>my C drive to NTFS for other reasons. Do you think I should still try?
>
>"Arthur" wrote:
>
>> Yes, boot to the 98 partition and upgrade that. 98 is on the FAT32 file
>> system, WinXP is NTFS, not compatable. Treat your virtual drive like a
>> separate HD
>>
>> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > My Pc currently has XP and Win98 as a dual boot configuration. XP is on my
>> > drive, and 98 is on my D.
>> > The problem I have now is that I have to upgrade the 98 to 98SE. What is
>> > the safest way to do this without damaging my XP OS? Can I just boot to 98
>> > and proceed to do the upgrade without fear of damaging my XP installation?
>> > By the way, Bot OS's are on 1 drive, different partitions, if they weren't
>> > would consider powering down the XP drive as a precaution.
>> >
>> > Any help ASAP is very much appreciated, and if you could reply to my
>> > e-mail
>> > as well, I would be very gratefull!
>> >
>> > my e-mail is:
>> > avro.arrow@sympatico.ca

tRaX

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004

Andy <1@2.3> wrote:

|>As a matter of
|>fact, the Windows 98/98se/ME setup program is smart enough to update
|>the description of the operating system in boot.ini.

Win98/se doesn't know the boot.ini exist. Ntldr is what calls the ini
file and it's not part of 98.
--

http://www.onahorse.com/