XP home edition verses professional. what the difference?

i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded Maya 6
personal learning edition (animation program) but the required is XP
professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between home and pro
is?
thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about home edition verses professional difference

    carolbou wrote:

    > i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded
    > Maya 6 personal learning edition (animation program) but the required
    > is XP professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between
    > home and pro is?
    > thanks

    Here is a link comparing the Home and Pro Editions:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    As to Maya's requirements, you would need to ask them why their software
    needs Pro.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    It may be due to maya's support of dual processors which windows xp pro
    supports but home doesn't.

    Ask Alias a Question
    http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/index.jsp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Jaren wrote:

    > It may be due to maya's support of dual processors which windows xp
    > pro supports but home doesn't.

    Very good point and I expect you're right. The OP can always check with
    the Maya people, but your explanation makes perfect sense considering
    what Maya is.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    carolbou wrote:
    > i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded Maya 6
    > personal learning edition (animation program) but the required is XP
    > professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between home and pro
    > is?
    > thanks

    The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes
    to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
    compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
    networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
    The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
    simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
    only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain (a crucial
    capability at most universities) while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP
    Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs
    roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: