XP home edition verses professional. what the difference?

i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded Maya 6
personal learning edition (animation program) but the required is XP
professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between home and pro
is?
thanks

Malke

carolbou wrote:

> i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded
> Maya 6 personal learning edition (animation program) but the required
> is XP professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between
> home and pro is?
> thanks

Here is a link comparing the Home and Pro Editions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

As to Maya's requirements, you would need to ask them why their software
needs Pro.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

It may be due to maya's support of dual processors which windows xp pro
supports but home doesn't.

Ask Alias a Question
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/index.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"carolbou" wrote:

| i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded Maya 6
| personal learning edition (animation program) but the required is XP
| professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between home and pro
| is?
| thanks

Malke

Jaren wrote:

> It may be due to maya's support of dual processors which windows xp
> pro supports but home doesn't.

Very good point and I expect you're right. The OP can always check with
the Maya people, but your explanation makes perfect sense considering
what Maya is.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

carolbou wrote:
> i just upgraded my computer to XP home edition from 98. I downloaded Maya 6
> personal learning edition (animation program) but the required is XP
> professional. does any1 know why and what the difference between home and pro
> is?
> thanks

The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes
to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain (a crucial
capability at most universities) while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP
Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs
roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: