steviemo03

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
i have just bought a volcano 9 heat/sink for my amd 2200xp.
first it was a barstard to put on. <had to dismantle it first> but when it was finaly on the temps rose by 10c. so i thought i had not put it on properly or put on to much artic paste. so took it off <pure hassel> reapplied the paste put it buck on properly and the processer failed!!!! 3 times.!!!!! put back on the old sink and it worked fine. om examining the heat sink i noticed that the `step` which only allows you to put it on one way?? was much bigger than the one on my old heat sink. there fore the heat sink is not going to cover the processer properly. can any one tell me whats going on? as it says that the volcano 9 was suitable for AMD athlon XP up to 2600 and iam using 2200. so what the f**k is going on. i fitted it properly and when i refitted it the same way it wouldnt work at all. iam going to send it back of course, but i thought i would run it buy you guys first.
any comments any one???????????????????????

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Since it is stepped are you sure you are putting the step on the proper side (orientation) when you clip it on?

I'm thinking you know what ur doing because you noticed it but sometimes one cannot see the forest because of the trees.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/30/03 02:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Yeah, I had a problem like that with a volcanoe 11. My friend brought over his system (Palimo 2100+), and putting on the volcanoe, not only was it noisy as hell, it was also very hot (60'ish degree). This was at the max setting. So instead I put on the stock AMD heatsink, which is now running at 48/49 degrees. I know I put the volcanoe on properly, but this thing just did not do a good job of cooling. I think this one might have just been a dud, or something, but my experience with the volcanoe 11 hasn't been that good to date.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The step goes over the lever side, if it's causing the processor core to be uncovered, you put the damned thing on the wrong way.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

neveroldmilk

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2003
I have met this before,and solve it just by changing the sink into a right position(i mean u must make the copper area under the sink right on the core of cpu).