File Naming Problem...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There is a program called Better File Rename that will allow you to rename a
file to begin with a . which explorer will tell you is an illegal file name.
I recently did this and then had a hard drive crash and Im not sure if this
could be the cause of it. Im wondering if it may throw off the file
allocation tables because they are trying to allocate a file with no name,
just an extension.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about file naming problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Jaren" <Jaren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    |>There is a program called Better File Rename that will allow you to rename a
    |>file to begin with a . which explorer will tell you is an illegal file name.
    |>I recently did this and then had a hard drive crash and Im not sure if this
    |>could be the cause of it. Im wondering if it may throw off the file
    |>allocation tables because they are trying to allocate a file with no name,
    |>just an extension.
    |>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

    No, it wouldn't effect the FAT, it's the OS that has a problem with
    the file naming not the HD.
    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Trax" wrote:

    > No, it wouldn't effect the FAT, it's the OS that has a problem with
    > the file naming not the HD.
    > --
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
    >

    Could it have caused my hard drive to crash or is that just some crazy
    coincidence?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Jaren wrote:

    > "Trax" wrote:
    >
    >> No, it wouldn't effect the FAT, it's the OS that has a problem with
    >> the file naming not the HD.
    >> --
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
    >>
    >
    > Could it have caused my hard drive to crash or is that just some crazy
    > coincidence?

    If you are talking about a physical problem with the hard drive, then
    the answer is "no", this is coincidental with your operating system
    problems.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:13:46 -0700, Trax <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov>
    wrote:

    > "Jaren" <Jaren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >|>There is a program called Better File Rename that will allow you to rename a
    >|>file to begin with a . which explorer will tell you is an illegal file name.
    >|>I recently did this and then had a hard drive crash and Im not sure if this
    >|>could be the cause of it. Im wondering if it may throw off the file
    >|>allocation tables because they are trying to allocate a file with no name,
    >|>just an extension.
    >|>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    >
    >No, it wouldn't effect the FAT, it's the OS that has a problem with
    >the file naming not the HD.

    Actually, the operating system has no problem with filenames that
    start with a period. For whatever reason Explorer thinks that you
    made a mistake when you rename a file to start with a period, but
    cmd.exe (the command line) doesn't care, and once you've renamed the
    file on the command line you can manipulate it as usual in Explorer.

    Or so my quick tests have shown.

    So I think we can be certain that the OP's crashes are not caused
    just by having files that start with dots. Now if he had renamed a
    particular critical file, such as boot.ini, of course that could
    well make the machine fail to boot.


    (The word is "affect", by the way. To "effect" something is to cause
    it; to "affect" it is to influence it.)

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP