How to convert a .doc link to plain ASCII text

November 12, 2004 2:51:27 AM

Would any of you nice folks out there convert the content on this link
http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcrmu/rmurds/publiclibr...
to plain ASCII text and send the plain ASCII text along?...

Cheers!
dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 1:51:19 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:51:27 -0500, Don Saklad wrote:

> Would any of you nice folks out there convert the content on this link
> http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcrmu/rmurds/publiclibr... to
> plain ASCII text and send the plain ASCII text along?...

Sure, PayPal me $5.00 and I'll do it for you.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 4:34:38 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:08:56 -0700, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Attached is the file you wanted converted to TXT.

Your version completely corrupted the tables.

Try using better conversion tools.

I've attached my version:

PUBLIC LIBRARY

RECORDS DISPOSAL SCHEDULE

28-96

Municipal Government

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Secretary of the Commonwealth

William Francis Galvin

DS-28-96

PUBLIC LIBRARY DEPARTMENTS RECORDS RETENTION SCHEDULE

Information and Procedures

1. The following is a list of standard records that can be found in the
custody of municipal public library departments. This list includes
records and forms currently mandated for their use in carrying out
specific statutory responsibilities.

2. This schedule is arranged alphabetically by the title of the record
series.

3. Each disposal schedule has a schedule number and revision date in the
upper right-hand corner. The schedule number has two parts, the department
number and the schedule's year of origin.

4. Any records series title with an asterisk (*) may be destroyed without
the permission of the Supervisor of Public Records, following the
expiration of the specified retention period.

5. Each entry on the schedule includes: record series title; form
identification, if applicable; legal citation (including statutory
references to the Massachusetts General Laws); minimum period for which
the record must be maintained; whether or not the record must be retained
in hard copy format e.g., if the record cannot be microfilmed and
destroyed; and the series number.

6. If the phrase "settlement of levy" is used in the disposition section
of the disposal schedule, it designates the closure of all accounts for a
particular levy though payment, abatement, or taking of property for
taxes.

7. Before submitting disposal requests to the Supervisor, be sure that the
records are not subject to any current or pending litigation or public
records request, and that the prescribed retention period has fully
expired for each record to be destroyed.

8. Records created prior to 1870 cannot be destroyed.

9. To destroy records included on this disposal schedule, the public
library director should submit to the Supervisor of Public Records two
copies of a letter substantially in the form suggested here, indicating:
schedule number; date of last schedule revision; series number; estimated
volume; inclusive dates for each series to be destroyed; and the date of
the last audit or settlement of levy, if applicable. Where the disposal
period refers "Completion of satisfactory audit or final settlement of
levy" After termination," include these or other variable dates so that
the eligibility for destruction of the records in question may be checked.

The public library director should sign both copies of the letter. One
copy of this will be returned to the public library director with the
Supervisor's approval. Following receipt of this approval, all records
included in the written request may be legally destroyed, subject to any
conditions specified thereon. Any record may be retained beyond this time
at the discretion of the public library director.

Original records cannot be destroyed without the written permission of the
Supervisor of Public Records.

10. To destroy records that have been microfilmed and that are on the
disposal schedule, the public library director should submit to the
Supervisor of Public Records two copies of a letter substantially in the
form suggested here, indicating: schedule number; date of last schedule
revision; series number; estimated volume; inclusive dates for each series
to be destroyed; and the date of the last audit or settlement of levy, if
applicable. Where the disposal period refers to "Completion of levy, if
applicable. Where the disposal period refers to "Completion of
satisfactory audit or final settlement of levy" or "After termination,"
include these or other variable dates so that the eligibility for
destruction of the records in question may be checked.

The public library director should sign both copies of the letter. One
copy of this letter will be returned to the public library director with
the Supervisor's approval. Following receipt of this approval, all records
included in the written request may be legally destroyed, subject to any
conditions specified thereon. Any record may be retained beyond this time
at the discretion of the public library director.

11. To destroy records that are not included on this disposal schedule,
refer to the Administration/Personnel (23/89) records disposal schedules.
This schedule includes records held in common by various municipal
offices.

To destroy a record that is not presently included on this disposal
schedule or the Administration/Personnel (23/89) disposal schedule, submit
a letter in duplicate to the Supervisor of Public Records. The letter
should indicate: schedule number; date of last schedule revision; series
number; estimated volume; inclusive dates for each series to be destroyed;
and the date of the last audit or settlement of levy, if applicable. If
possible, attach a photocopy of the record.

12. If items subject to audit are dated with the current fiscal year and
have already been audited, they should be retained through the end of the
applicable fiscal year (June 30) or later, as necessary. If items subject
to audit are dated with the current calendar year and have already been
audited, they should be retained through the end of the applicable
calendar year (Dec. 31) or later, as necessary.

13. Disposal schedules apply to information, not the media containing the
information. If records maintained on electronic media (for example,
magnetic tape disk or optical data storage systems) are printed out in an
eye-readable format (paper or microfilm), the original electronic records
may be immediately destroyed. In this case a permission letter would not
need to be sent to the Supervisor of Public Records.

If the electronic record is the sole source of the information, it must be
treated in the same manner as its hard copy counterparts for the purposes
of disposal, and must be maintained in accordance with the disposal
schedule.

SAMPLE LETTER TO REQUEST PERMISSION TO DESTROY RECORDS

[Record Custodian's Letter head]

[Date]

Secretary of the Commonwealth

Supervisor of Public Records

Archives Division-Records Management Unit

Massachusetts Archives at Columbia Point

220 Morrissey Boulevard

Boston MA 02125

Dear Supervisor:

This is to request authorization to destroy the records listed on the
[list schedule name here e.g., Public Library] records disposal schedule
[list schedule number here e.g., 28/96] revised [list date of last
revision; this date is on the top right corner of the records disposal
schedule] as follows:

SERIES NUMBER INCLUSIVE DATES

1. January 1, 1972 to June 30, 1975

4. January 1, 1979 to June 30, 1981

Estimated volume: 2.5 cubic feet

The last audit of accounts of this office was completed on [list date and
year here e.g., Sept. 1, 1998]. I certify that to the best of my knowledge
these records do not pertain to any current public record request or to
any current or pending litigation to which this office is a party.

Very truly yours,

[Signature of legal Records Custodian]

APPROVED: _______________________________________

Supervisor of Public Records

| 28_96 |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| | Series name | | |Hardcopy | | Date |
| Function |(* =perm not | Legal |Disposition |retention|Series| last |
| |required for |citation| period |required |number|revised|
| |destruction) | | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Circulation|Application |c.78, | | | | |
|Records. |for a Library|s.7 |After use. | No|28.1 | 1/1/96|
| |Card* | | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Circulation|Bibliographic|c.78, |After | No|28.2 | 1/1/96|
|Records. |Database* |ss.7,8,9|deaccession.| | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Circulation|Circulation |c.78, |After use. | No|28.3 | 1/1/96|
|Records. |Records* |s.7 | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Circulation|Complaint and| |After | | | |
|Records. |Censorship | |resolution. | No|28.4 | 1/1/96|
| |Records* | | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Circulation|Fine Payment | |After use. | No|28.5 | 1/1/96|
|Records. |Request Form*| | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
| | | |After | | | |
|Circulation|Patron |c.78, |expiration | | | |
|Records. |Information |ss.7,8 |of patron's | No|28.6 | 1/1/96|
| |Database* | |borrowing | | | |
| | | |privileges. | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Director's |Annual Report|c.78, |When | | | |
|Records. |to Library |s.19B |superseded. | No|28.8 | 1/1/96|
| |Commissioners| | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Director's |Annual |c.78, |Permanent | | | |
|Records. |Reports |s.12 |(one mint | Yes|28.7 | 1/1/96|
| | | |copy). | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Director's |Library |c.78, | | | | |
|Records. |Building |19E |20 years. | No|28.9 | 1/1/96|
| |Program Files| | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Director's |Library |c.78, | | | | |
|Records. |Improvement |s.19 |7 years. | No|28.10 | 1/1/96|
| |Program Files| | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Director's |Long Range |c.78, s.|When | No|28.11 | 1/1/96|
|Records. |Program Files|19 |superseded. | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
|Director's | |c.78, | | | | |
|Records. |Master Plan |ss. 19E,|Permanent. | No|28.12 | 1/1/96|
| | |19H | | | | |
|-----------+-------------+--------+------------+---------+------+-------|
| | |c.78, | | | | |
|Director's |Meeting |s.11; |Permanent. | Yes|28.13 | 1/1/96|
|Records. |Minutes |c.39, | | | | |
| | |s.23B | | | | |
November 12, 2004 6:31:45 PM

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:14:32 PM

Don Saklad wrote:

> Would any of you nice folks out there convert the content on this link
> http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcrmu/rmurds/publiclibr...
> to plain ASCII text and send the plain ASCII text along?...

Are you confused about the difference between an MS Word .doc file
and a Palm DOC (which is actually a .PRC) file? That file doesn't
have anything to do with the Palm world, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I guess that is one of the down sides of using MS Word .doc
files, that not everybody can read them. I guess sometimes documents
will get stuck in this format and be useless to some people. That
probably wouldn't happen if people would use an open format...

- Logan
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 9:23:02 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:31:45 -0700, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> Which conversion tool would you recommend that will properly capture a
> table?

wv is what I used. You can see the beautiful results.
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 12:34:53 PM

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 10:09:07 PM

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> I did a Google search and found the program. It appears that there
> is no version for Windows.

Well, you could download OpenOffice (from http://www.openoffice.org/ )
and use that to view MS Word .doc files. OpenOffice runs on Windows
and lots of other platforms.

- Logan
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 10:09:08 PM

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 11:22:06 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:34:53 -0700, C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> I did a Google search and found the program. It appears that there is no
> version for Windows.

That seems to be a common problem with Windows, it seems.

For every Windows program, there are dozens of replacements
and alternatives to that in the non-Windows world. Its pretty sad to see
the lack of software when using Windows, unfortunately. I feel your pain.

Look at this page for some really good examples:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.sh...
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 4:44:12 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:17:30 -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:

> In Windows, I presume you can load a file in Word, and "Save As"
> filename.txt.

Unfortunately that too, does not render the tables
correctly at all.

wv in Linux (or FreeBSD, take your pick) works exceptionally well, and
definately outdoes Microsoft's own products in the quality of output it
produces. Not bad for a "silly little piece of Free Software".
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:36:16 AM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32

Check the above site for a windows port of wv.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede