3rd party RAM doesn't always work in dell?

peter

How come 3rd party RAM doesn't always work in Dell PC?
In one case I have to have one dell ram in one slot in order for a non-dell
ram in the other slot to work.

This is a myth. Post the details so we know more.

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> How come 3rd party RAM doesn't always work in Dell PC?
> In one case I have to have one dell ram in one slot in order for a
> non-dell ram in the other slot to work.

If the third party RAM does not meet quality standards and conform to the specs
required by the motherboard, it won't work. I have installed good quality
generic RAM in Dell systems without any problems. Dell desktop motherboards do
not require anything really special in the way of RAM. Never have. Even the
"high-end" Precision workstations use generic memory, many of them generic
RAMBUS.

I have used MEMTEST-86 to test all added RAM, and if MEMTEST-86 runs a couple of
test cycles without error, this gives me assurance that memory and motherboard
are meant for each other... Ben Myers