Hard drive runs constantly

Scenario:
I had a computer that dual boots 98 and XP. Everything was working well
except I had a problem with the hard drive light coming on all the time
when running XP.
I decided to upgrade so I built me another faster computer and moved all
the hard drives to the new one. I did a repair install of both operating
systems to get the drivers right. And it's working fine and faster. BUT,
I am having the same problem with the hard drive light in XP. When I
first boot up and everything settles down, the light goes out. After
about 15 minutes, it starts flickering a little. By the end of a half
hour it is on constantly. Indexing is turned off on all drives. Task
manager shows nothing running that I don't recognize. Idle process is 98-
99%. I've gone into services and stopped every service that's stoppable,
one at a time. None of them made it stop. If I reboot into Windows 98 and
let it sit, the light stays out. I'd like to think it's a hardware
problem and that the drive really isn't running but the light is on. But
now that it's doing the same thing on a second computer and it doesn't do
it in Windows 98, I know that *something* is accessing one of the drives.
I have unplugged my ethernet cable. It isn't that. I have done a
diagnostic startup with nothing but essential files loading but it still
does it. If I boot into XP's Safe Mode, the light will stay out. So it is
just happening in XP in normal mode, no matter what I have running or
don't.
Any suggestions what to look for now? Is there any app available that
would show what is accessing hard drives?

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
13 answers Last reply

    Try getting more RAM I would think. How much do you have now? because Windows
    XP requirments are (technically... Ive seen it run on less) 256MB and I would
    recommend at least 512MB or more.

    "Jaren" <Jaren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Try getting more RAM I would think. How much do you have now?

    2-512s and a 256. I've tried it with 512 on up.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Building a new system, then putting in the same hard drive, and doing a Repair Install
    would not be of any help if it is spyware/adware/malware/trojan/worm causing the problem.
    If you have
    that much RAM, and you have NOT changed the setting for the Page file (let Windows XP
    manage virtual memory), then I would scan the drive with AD-Aware SE, Xoftspy, HiJackThis,
    and/or many of the other spyware/adware/malware/trojan/worm scanning utilities. Are you
    using a
    firewall other than the one included with Windows XP, which only works with anything
    incoming, but does not monitor anything outgoing? Your hard drive could be spinning
    because your system is infected with something that is sending data from your hard drive,
    without your being aware of it. Also, have you downloaded and installed the Microsoft
    update for the Zotob worm/Plug and Play Service problem, which exploits Windows XP
    vulnerabilities and can have your hard drive spinning, sending your data out to cyberspace
    destinations?

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9A3BFBDD-62EA-4DB2-88D2-415E095E2
    07F&displaylang=en

    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > "Jaren" <Jaren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Try getting more RAM I would think. How much do you have now?
    >
    > 2-512s and a 256. I've tried it with 512 on up.
    >
    > --
    > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

    |>Scenario:
    |>I had a computer that dual boots 98 and XP. Everything was working well
    |>except I had a problem with the hard drive light coming on all the time
    |>when running XP.
    |>I decided to upgrade so I built me another faster computer and moved all
    |>the hard drives to the new one. I did a repair install of both operating
    |>systems to get the drivers right. And it's working fine and faster. BUT,
    |>I am having the same problem with the hard drive light in XP. When I
    |>first boot up and everything settles down, the light goes out. After
    |>about 15 minutes, it starts flickering a little. By the end of a half
    |>hour it is on constantly. Indexing is turned off on all drives. Task
    |>manager shows nothing running that I don't recognize. Idle process is 98-
    |>99%. I've gone into services and stopped every service that's stoppable,
    |>one at a time. None of them made it stop. If I reboot into Windows 98 and
    |>let it sit, the light stays out. I'd like to think it's a hardware
    |>problem and that the drive really isn't running but the light is on. But
    |>now that it's doing the same thing on a second computer and it doesn't do
    |>it in Windows 98, I know that *something* is accessing one of the drives.
    |>I have unplugged my ethernet cable. It isn't that. I have done a
    |>diagnostic startup with nothing but essential files loading but it still
    |>does it. If I boot into XP's Safe Mode, the light will stay out. So it is
    |>just happening in XP in normal mode, no matter what I have running or
    |>don't.
    |>Any suggestions what to look for now? Is there any app available that
    |>would show what is accessing hard drives?

    Mine (HD light) blinks all the time, I traced it to ZoneAlarm :}
    with FileMon http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

    you need more ram
    > Scenario:
    > I had a computer that dual boots 98 and XP. Everything was working well
    > except I had a problem with the hard drive light coming on all the time
    > when running XP.
    > I decided to upgrade so I built me another faster computer and moved all
    > the hard drives to the new one. I did a repair install of both operating
    > systems to get the drivers right. And it's working fine and faster. BUT,
    > I am having the same problem with the hard drive light in XP. When I
    > first boot up and everything settles down, the light goes out. After
    > about 15 minutes, it starts flickering a little. By the end of a half
    > hour it is on constantly. Indexing is turned off on all drives. Task
    > manager shows nothing running that I don't recognize. Idle process is 98-
    > 99%. I've gone into services and stopped every service that's stoppable,
    > one at a time. None of them made it stop. If I reboot into Windows 98 and
    > let it sit, the light stays out. I'd like to think it's a hardware
    > problem and that the drive really isn't running but the light is on. But
    > now that it's doing the same thing on a second computer and it doesn't do
    > it in Windows 98, I know that *something* is accessing one of the drives.
    > I have unplugged my ethernet cable. It isn't that. I have done a
    > diagnostic startup with nothing but essential files loading but it still
    > does it. If I boot into XP's Safe Mode, the light will stay out. So it is
    > just happening in XP in normal mode, no matter what I have running or
    > don't.
    > Any suggestions what to look for now? Is there any app available that
    > would show what is accessing hard drives?
    >
    > --
    > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    I have 1,280Mb.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    I just downloaded that and installed it. Was it not a part of the regular
    windows updates? I have a pretty good arsenal of anti-spyware tools since
    3/4 of my business is cleaning customer's computers. I run behind a
    router, run Zone Alarm and the Windows firewall is also on. I run
    Microsoft's Beta Antispyware (which is quite good, by the way) besides
    doing an occassional check with AdAware and Spybot S&D. I've got more
    intense stuff like Ewido and TrendMicro's new spyware scanner, but I've
    never run them on this machine. AdAware finds a couple of cookies once in
    a while... the rest of them never come up with anything. Norton Antivirus
    scans the whole thing once a week and never comes up with anything.
    Hijack This never comes up with anything I don't recognize. My problem
    DOES have the characteristics of some kind of malware. I have quite a bit
    of stuff in startup, but like I said, I can do a diagnostic startup
    (which runs a bare minimum of things) and still have the problem. I'll
    run Ewido and TrendMicro on here just to make sure, but I'm betting they
    won't come up with anything. Whatever it is, it doesn't do it in Safe
    Mode. That should be a clue to something... but what?

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Trax <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in

    > Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
    >
    >|>Scenario:
    >|>I had a computer that dual boots 98 and XP. Everything was working
    >|>well except I had a problem with the hard drive light coming on all
    >|>the time when running XP.
    >|>I decided to upgrade so I built me another faster computer and moved
    >|>all the hard drives to the new one. I did a repair install of both
    >|>operating systems to get the drivers right. And it's working fine and
    >|>faster. BUT, I am having the same problem with the hard drive light
    >|>in XP. When I first boot up and everything settles down, the light
    >|>goes out. After about 15 minutes, it starts flickering a little. By
    >|>the end of a half hour it is on constantly. Indexing is turned off on
    >|>all drives. Task manager shows nothing running that I don't
    >|>recognize. Idle process is 98- 99%. I've gone into services and
    >|>stopped every service that's stoppable, one at a time. None of them
    >|>made it stop. If I reboot into Windows 98 and let it sit, the light
    >|>stays out. I'd like to think it's a hardware problem and that the
    >|>drive really isn't running but the light is on. But now that it's
    >|>doing the same thing on a second computer and it doesn't do it in
    >|>Windows 98, I know that *something* is accessing one of the drives.
    >|>I have unplugged my ethernet cable. It isn't that. I have done a
    >|>diagnostic startup with nothing but essential files loading but it
    >|>still does it. If I boot into XP's Safe Mode, the light will stay
    >|>out. So it is just happening in XP in normal mode, no matter what I
    >|>have running or don't.
    >|>Any suggestions what to look for now? Is there any app available that
    >|>would show what is accessing hard drives?
    >
    > Mine (HD light) blinks all the time, I traced it to ZoneAlarm :}
    > with FileMon http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

    Thanks for that link. I had forgotten about that one. I have Zone Alarm
    and see that VSMON.exe is running every 10 seconds. However, that still
    isn't it. Like right now, I just rebooted and am running taskmon. It's
    showing a lot of stuff including VSMON, but the light is out except for
    an occassional blink. But 20 minutes from now it'll be on solid again and
    taskmon won't be showing any more then than it is now ( had it running
    earlier). I have three drives in here and none of them is a year old
    even. But I'm beginning to wonder if it is something with one of them.
    All Western Digital... 2-120's and a 200.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    OK, I ran Ewido and TrendMicro last night. Ewido decided to wipe out a
    bunch of utility scripts that I had purchased from Kelly, and TrendMicro
    found a few cookies it didn't like. One of them got a couple of "joke"
    exe files. And my LOPcom uninstaller. But I have two computers that I
    keep synchronized, so they'll be back in the morning. That's interesting
    too. I don't have the hard drive light problem with the other one and it
    has basically all the same stuff on it.
    My next step will be to unplug two of the drives which are just for
    extra storage. If the problem continues, then I'll clone the main one to
    a new drive and see if it THAT does it.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:14:33 -0700, Menno Hershberger
    <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

    >Scenario:
    >I had a computer that dual boots 98 and XP. Everything was working well
    >except I had a problem with the hard drive light coming on all the time
    >when running XP.
    >I decided to upgrade so I built me another faster computer and moved all
    >the hard drives to the new one. I did a repair install of both operating
    >systems to get the drivers right. And it's working fine and faster. BUT,
    >I am having the same problem with the hard drive light in XP. When I
    >first boot up and everything settles down, the light goes out. After
    >about 15 minutes, it starts flickering a little. By the end of a half
    >hour it is on constantly. Indexing is turned off on all drives. Task
    >manager shows nothing running that I don't recognize. Idle process is 98-
    >99%. I've gone into services and stopped every service that's stoppable,
    >one at a time. None of them made it stop. If I reboot into Windows 98 and
    >let it sit, the light stays out. I'd like to think it's a hardware
    >problem and that the drive really isn't running but the light is on. But
    >now that it's doing the same thing on a second computer and it doesn't do
    >it in Windows 98, I know that *something* is accessing one of the drives.
    >I have unplugged my ethernet cable. It isn't that. I have done a
    >diagnostic startup with nothing but essential files loading but it still
    >does it. If I boot into XP's Safe Mode, the light will stay out. So it is
    >just happening in XP in normal mode, no matter what I have running or
    >don't.
    >Any suggestions what to look for now? Is there any app available that
    >would show what is accessing hard drives?

    As I recall, windows compresses unused files on the fly. There could
    be other things going on too...email check? I wouldn't worry about
    it.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    |>> Mine (HD light) blinks all the time, I traced it to ZoneAlarm :}
    |>> with FileMon http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

    |>Thanks for that link. I had forgotten about that one. I have Zone Alarm
    |>and see that VSMON.exe is running every 10 seconds. However, that still
    |>isn't it. Like right now, I just rebooted and am running taskmon. It's
    |>showing a lot of stuff including VSMON, but the light is out except for
    |>an occassional blink. But 20 minutes from now it'll be on solid again and
    |>taskmon won't be showing any more then than it is now

    Then run FileMon and when your hard drive light goes solid start a
    capture, grab what you need and stop it - use the filters to see what
    using the drive...
    --

    http://www.longislandpress.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2037&

    Menno Hershberger wrote:
    > Scenario:
    > I had a computer that dual boots 98 and XP. Everything was
    > working well except I had a problem with the hard drive
    > light coming on all the time when running XP.
    > I decided to upgrade so I built me another faster computer
    > and moved all the hard drives to the new one. I did a repair
    > install of both operating systems to get the drivers right.
    > And it's working fine and faster. BUT, I am having the same
    > problem with the hard drive light in XP. When I first boot
    > up and everything settles down, the light goes out. After
    > about 15 minutes, it starts flickering a little. By the end
    > of a half hour it is on constantly. Indexing is turned off
    > on all drives. Task manager shows nothing running that I
    > don't recognize. Idle process is 98- 99%. I've gone into
    > services and stopped every service that's stoppable, one at
    > a time. None of them made it stop. If I reboot into Windows
    > 98 and let it sit, the light stays out. I'd like to think
    > it's a hardware problem and that the drive really isn't
    > running but the light is on. But now that it's doing the
    > same thing on a second computer and it doesn't do it in
    > Windows 98, I know that *something* is accessing one of the
    > drives. I have unplugged my ethernet cable. It isn't that. I
    > have done a diagnostic startup with nothing but essential
    > files loading but it still does it. If I boot into XP's Safe
    > Mode, the light will stay out. So it is just happening in XP
    > in normal mode, no matter what I have running or don't.
    > Any suggestions what to look for now? Is there any app
    > available that would show what is accessing hard drives?
    >
    > --
    > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
    > mother. ---

    XP runs a number of housekeeping chores when the system is
    idle. It creates System Restore points, defrags the hard drive,
    populates the Prefetch folder all while your system is idle.

    Take a look at this article:

    Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx#EDAA

    Open Task Manager and note the processes that are running.
    Next, go to Start -> Run and enter this in the Open box:

    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

    Click OK.
    that are running. Those are some of the processes that start
    when your computer has been idle for 15 minutes.

    Do yourself a favor, defragment your hard drive and wait a few
    days for your Preftech folder to be organized. Then, if you
    still see prolonged periods of hard drive activity while your
    PC is idle, you can get paranoid.

    Nepatsfan
  13. Had the same problem with Windows XP. Opened the task manger, Processes tab and discovered that RealPlayer was constantly using CPU resources eand fluctuated with the activity of the hard drive. Stop the process for this software and everything went right. I suppressed RealPlayer and the problem is now solved. Why ? I don't know.

Light Hard Drives Windows XP