Pinball Competitions where?

Hi group! I've been playing pins ever since I could first see over the
glass back in the late '60s. I play in tourneys here in San Diego but
there is really only one. It's a LOTR machine set up for tourneys that
run 30-60 days each.

I'm looking for more competition but I can't travel back east
(Pittsburgh seems to be a pinball hotbed) to attend tourneys. Any
information, links, or other resources would be great.

Most pin shows around the country will have some sort of competition.

PAPA in Pennsylvania is the biggest and largest. www.papa.org

See the Mr. Pinball site for a current listing of upcoming shows and events.
May be something in/near your area: www.mrpinball.com

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"TBK" <rrezendes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi group! I've been playing pins ever since I could first see over the
> glass back in the late '60s. I play in tourneys here in San Diego but
> there is really only one. It's a LOTR machine set up for tourneys that
> run 30-60 days each.
>
> I'm looking for more competition but I can't travel back east
> (Pittsburgh seems to be a pinball hotbed) to attend tourneys. Any
> information, links, or other resources would be great.

http://www.pinballnews.com/ Martin has a diary section of upcoming events on
his great site. LTG :)

"TBK" <rrezendes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi group! I've been playing pins ever since I could first see over the
> glass back in the late '60s. I play in tourneys here in San Diego but
> there is really only one. It's a LOTR machine set up for tourneys that
> run 30-60 days each.
>
> I'm looking for more competition but I can't travel back east
> (Pittsburgh seems to be a pinball hotbed) to attend tourneys. Any
> information, links, or other resources would be great.

This is somewhat close to you:

http://www.caextreme.org/

I don't see any tourneys specifically mentioned, although the blurb
states "It's two days that celebrate this exceptional entertainment
medium, featuring tournaments, speakers, parts vendors, and an
opportunity to play games you may have not seen for years."

TBK wrote:
> Hi group! I've been playing pins ever since I could first see over the
> glass back in the late '60s. I play in tourneys here in San Diego but
> there is really only one. It's a LOTR machine set up for tourneys that
> run 30-60 days each.
>
> I'm looking for more competition but I can't travel back east
> (Pittsburgh seems to be a pinball hotbed) to attend tourneys. Any
> information, links, or other resources would be great.

There are tournaments at CA Extreme, two actually. Here's a blurb on
'em.

---- BLURB BEGINS ----

Win big cash in TWO pinball tournaments! Have fun in our main
tournament by qualifying for the finals, or go 'all in' in our No Limit
Pinball match-play tournament! Here are the important details on each
event.

--- CAX Pinball Championship ---

-- What Is It? --

If you've been to CAX or Pinburgh, you'll know what's up. Play by
choosing three of your favorite games from our tournament banks, and
having your scores compared against all other players in your division.
Each qualifying run is scored, and the best qualifiers move on to the
final rounds.

Eight players in each division will qualify for the finals. In B
Division, two of those players will be selected AT RANDOM to qualify
for the finals! Watch for the Wild Card drawing. In total, at least
$1,000 in guaranteed prize money will be given away, and we expect the
total prize pool to be closer to $2,000.

Special thanks to the folks from PAPA, where the World Pinball
Championship will be held August 11-14, with over $30,000 in prizes.
PAPA is the largest pinball tournament in the US, and we thank them for
their support of our tournament. Visit www.papa.org for more
information about this amazing event.

-- When Is It? --

Qualifying: Saturday, 12 noon until 11 pm. Sunday, 11:30 am until 2 pm
(must start entry by 1:30 pm).
Finals begin: Sunday, 2:30 pm.

-- How to Qualify --

Each entry is a qualifying run of three games played on three different
machines. We'll set you up with the three games you chose to play.
You do the rest. In A Division, each qualifying run costs $15. In B
Division, it's $10. In either division, discount pricing is available
for multiple entries.

Each run is scored separately, so you'll need a good, consistent run of
all three games to make it to the finals.

-- Registration --

No registration is needed. Come out and try a run anytime during the
hours listed above. The tournament area is in the back left of
Parkside Hall -- don't worry, you'll find it eventually.

Now, about the other tournament...

--- No Limit Pinball ---

-- What Is It? --

If you've seen the World Series of Poker, imagine that carried over to
a pinball table. Enter once, and we'll give you a bank of points (like
a 'stack'). Keep playing matches until you're out of points, or you're
the last one standing! We'll give prizes to the last 4 remaining
players. Total prize pool is expected to be $900.

-- When Is It? --

The tournament starts promptly on Saturday at 6:00 pm. It is expected
to run about 4 1/2 hours, with a 20-minute break after 2 hours.

-- How to Play --

Each entry is $30 for 200 points in the bank (no, you cannot buy more).
Games cost an increasing number of points over time: starting with 20
points per player, and increasing every 20 minutes.

At the end of each ball is a round where any player can risk more of
their points -- they can even go 'all in' and risk everything (it's No
Limit Pinball). Any players willing to match ('call') the risk
continue to play the next ball, and the winner of the game takes all
the risked points at the end. ("Second place is the first loser!")

(Once you've played ONE game, you will know exactly how it all works.)

-- Registration --

This match play tournament is limited to 30 players (and is already
more than half full as of July 20). To pre-register, contact Bowen
Kerins at bkerins@gmail.com. Pre-registrations will be held until 2
hours prior to the event (which starts PROMPTLY at 6:00 pm, Saturday).

--- Questions? ---

Hey, contact us. Our web site is www.caextreme.org, or you can e-mail
bkerins@gmail.com. We'll be happy to e-mail you the complete rules if
you like. We hope to see you at Extreme, and hope these tournaments
add a bit to the flavor of a great show.

---- END OF BLURB ----

kme

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005

If you want to play a WORKING lotr tourny go up the street to kraken in
solana beach. I can't imagine anyone breaking 50M on it since no good
players seem to play it.

Looks like I'll be there for Saturday but I have to work on Sunday... =(

Thank you for the info!

TBK = The Biggest Kid
Looking for pin tourneys in So. Cal

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Hey TMK,

If you want to play for money, I can take you to this guys house in
Carlsbad by the Library, he's always down for money games....just bring
cash.

So Luke, how mauch $ have you donated to Keiths pinball fund? :--)

Well, before I go play at "someone's" house for money, I think I'd like
to know what machines are available there and maybe meet this guy
first.
Just showing up at someone's house with a pocket full of cash doesn't
sound like a very smart thing to do does it? I get off work at 7pm
tonight in PB and I'm going to head up to Kraken in Solana Beach and
give their LOTR a ride it probably hasn't seen yet. I'd be up to the
trip to Carlsbad depending on the answers to the above questions -
tonight or tomorrow night.

I wasn't looking to make a buck from someone but to play in a tourney
where everyone throws their money in and the best players take home a
small handful.

TBK = The Biggest Kid
Looking for pin tourneys in So. Cal

LOL, oooohhh LOTR, you better watch out!!!

That going to a guys house in Carlsbad was a joke, unless you're
talking big $ I might be able to arrange something..... :)

Well, before I go play at "someone's" house for money, I think I'd like
to know what machines are available there and maybe meet this guy first.
Just showing up at someone's house with a pocket full of cash doesn't
sound like a very smart thing to do does it? I get off work at 7pm
tonight in PB and I'm going to head up to Kraken in Solana Beach and
give their LOTR a ride it probably hasn't seen yet. I'd be up to the
trip to Carlsbad depending on the answers to the above questions -
tonight or tomorrow night.

I wasn't looking to make a buck from someone but to play in a tourney
where everyone throws there money in and the best players take home a
small handful.

TBK = The Biggest Kid
Looking for pin tourneys in So. Cal

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

kme

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005

That machine is 2 years old, not new. Amazing what happens when you
clean/rubber them & rebuild the flippers once in awhile.

I remember when she was all new and shinny, sitting there in Squid
Joes.

TBK,
What games do you want to play? I might know where they are....

Right now I'm just looking for any games in good playing condition. I'm
not that picky... Hell I drive from Santee to Solana Beach to play so
I'm open for any good machines... I like the LOTR tourneys but I'll
play tourneys on any machine...

I guess I'd really like to play The Sopranos if there is one anywhere
close to San Diego right now...

Ok so I went up to Kraken and played that obviously pretty new machine.
Aside from Sam not ejecting properly, and the plunger being spongy and
weak, the machine played nice.

Where are other machines in good shape located in and around San Diego?