Web files saved as folders AND icons?

Hi all.
Why does savving a web page save both a folder and an icon of the same name?
Is there any way to get just one folder or file of just one name? This
really seems to be redundant, and since I save a lot of web pages, I have to
scroll down through a lot of unnecessary folders before I can even get to
the
web page icons. Has anyone else ever felt this was stupid? Is there anyway
to fix this problem?
Thanks
Peter

tRaX

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004

"Peter from MN" <aptmd@hotmail.com> wrote:

|>Hi all.
|>Why does savving a web page save both a folder and an icon of the same name?
|> Is there any way to get just one folder or file of just one name? This
|>really seems to be redundant, and since I save a lot of web pages, I have to
|>scroll down through a lot of unnecessary folders before I can even get to
|>the
|>web page icons. Has anyone else ever felt this was stupid? Is there anyway
|>to fix this problem?

Might try Opera http://opera.com/ all my pages save as a single file.

I'm running 8.0, the earlier versions would allow you to save with or
without pictures - Now it save's without pictures and call's out for
them.

--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Here are the options.

Open Folder Options...
Start | Run | Type: control folders | Click OK |
View tab |
Managing pairs of Web pages and folders
 Show and manage the pair as a single file
 Show both parts and manage them individually
 Show both parts but manage as a single file

The first option is the default.
-----

IE Save As:
Web Page, complete (*.htm;*html)
Web Archive, single file (*.mht)
Web Page, HTML only (*.htm;*.html)
Text File (*.txt)
-----

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
 Manipulate connected files as a unit

Manipulate Connected files as a unit
[[If this is checked then any operations performed on Document.htm (or
document.html) will also be performed on "Document_files" and vice versa.
For e.g. If you delete Document.htm, then the Document_files folder will
also be deleted.]]
-----

From Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out by Ed Bott and Carl Siechert

[[Managing pairs of Web pages and folders

If you save a web page using Internet Explorer's Web Page, Complete option
(choose Web Page, complete (*.htm;*html) in the Save As type list), Internet
Explorer saves the Web page's text in one file and puts all the associated
graphics and other supporting documents in a folder with the same name. For
example, if you save the MSN home page (http://www.msn.com) under it's
default name, Welcome to MSN_com, you will get a file named Welcome to
MSN_com.htm and a folder called Welcome to MSN_com, the later containing the
various GIF and JPEG images and perhaps a script or two.

By default Windows Explorer handles such file-and-folder pairs as a single
entity. The file and folder are shown as separate items, but any action
taken upon one is automatically taken upon both. Delete or move either file
or folder, for example, and Windows Explorer moves or deletes both items.
This behavior makes it less likely that you'll "break" a saves Web page by
separating it's parts.

Provided you have Microsoft Office installed, you can choose two
alternatives to the default behavior:
 Show both parts and manage them individually
 Show both parts but manage as a single file

(If you don't see these options, double click Managing pairs of Web pages
and folders.) If you change Windows Explorer's behavior after saving a
file-and-folder pair, Windows Explorer applies the new behavior to the
existing pair. For example, if you save a page using the Show both parts
and manage them individually option, your file and folder are initially
independent. But if you then switch back to the default behavior, the file
and folder become linked, as though you saved them that way in the first
place.]]

See...
Operations on an HTML File or Folder Apply to Similarly Named Folder or HTML
File
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252721

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Value: NoFileFolderConnection
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 1

[[IMPORTANT: File connection should normally be enabled because other
programs might depend on it. For example, Microsoft Internet Explorer uses
the connected files naming convention when you save your Web page by
selecting Web Page, complete (.*htm,*.html) in the Save as type dialog box.
Disable file connection only if absolutely necessary. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User