Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cannot download exe files on windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2012 12:49:51 PM

Hello,
I cannot download exe files on windows 7. When I attempt to do so the notification bar on IE9 only gives me the option of 'save' or 'save as'. There used to be an option to 'run' from the notification bar. When when I attempt to save nothing appears to happen. If I 'save as' to desktop a folder appears on desktop which when clicked offers the option to open or cancel, clicking on open brings up a menu which asks what program I want to use to open the file with.
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 2:16:46 PM

This is the type of file that 'CAN' carry malware. Security is usually supposed to block it from loading.
If you insist on using it which is not recommended, turn off the security, or firewall.
BUT your computer may be infected by it, and you are warned not to use it.
Be sure that you know what you are installing, before you install it.
m
l
November 8, 2012 3:04:38 PM

soundguruman said:
This is the type of file that 'CAN' carry malware. Security is usually supposed to block it from loading.
If you insist on using it which is not recommended, turn off the security, or firewall.
BUT your computer may be infected by it, and you are warned not to use it.
Be sure that you know what you are installing, before you install it.

But even when I save exe files to desktop and then try to run them I only get the option to open them, not to run them. eg I cannot download or install AVG
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 8, 2012 3:08:21 PM

Have you asked to execute/run it as administrator then?
November 8, 2012 3:29:22 PM

matt_b said:
Have you asked to execute/run it as administrator then?

No I'm not sure how to do this
m
l
November 12, 2012 12:23:11 PM

jim89 said:
No I'm not sure how to do this

It looks like in your other post mentioned by rgd1101 that you've figured out how to run a program as administrator. Just keep in mind that you should only do this with programs/applications that you know to be from a trustworthy source.
m
l
November 22, 2012 4:32:08 PM

matt_b said:
It looks like in your other post mentioned by rgd1101 that you've figured out how to run a program as administrator. Just keep in mind that you should only do this with programs/applications that you know to be from a trustworthy source.

Many thanks again for your reply to my query. Your answer was bang on. When I first read it I did not quite understand, reason being my computer had crashed and I had it in the repair shop. They had to reinstall windows, whereas previously I signed on with a password and ran the computer as an administrator all the time, the repair shop did not set up a password for me and I just boot the computer and start working, but not as administrator. The confusion arose because I assumed I still was working as administrator and could therefore continue to download programs. When I realised my mistake I followed your advice and problem solved. Again many thanks.
m
l
November 22, 2012 4:34:08 PM

Best answer selected by jim89.
m
l
!