Inspiron 8100 screen going bad

HI,

I am posting this message in the hopes of a final solution to my
beloved laptop.
I bought this amazing machine two years ago and served me very well.
Today, it only gives me mindgrains. The battery no longer lasts the
two hours (expected but theoretically shouldn't happen because is
NiLithion or something). Anyhow, I no longe work on my laptop because
of my screen. (This is a 15 inch, UXGA monitor)Do you remember when
your TV needed adjustment with the antenna? Well, my screen looks like
that most of the time, especially after a minute or so.
All fussy, that it hurts your eyes. To make matters even worst. When
rebooting, the initial screen will have chuncks of rectangulars
(colorful) that signals there is something wrong with your laptop.
In the setup (F2), there will be horizontal lines that simulates an
eraser crossing through the lines of words. Sometimes I am still able
to read, but not often.

Well, I have contacted Dell. It will cost me more bucks to replace the
videocard/motherbord(because they are joined together) than to buy a
new computer with the same exact specs. Oh, by the way, this is a
system for gaming purposes 1.0ghz, 512 MB of RAM, 64bits of Memory.
There was no better system two years ago. Amazing is to know that even
today my "laptop" only drawback in specs is on the ghz.

Anyone with similar problems please reply.
Those who deals with old laptops, ideas to do with this piece of
equipment.
4 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 8100 screen

    "Jofre" <jofre@myself.com> wrote in message
    > HI,
    >
    > I am posting this message in the hopes of a final solution to my
    > beloved laptop.
    > I bought this amazing machine two years ago and served me very well.
    > Today, it only gives me mindgrains. The battery no longer lasts the
    > two hours (expected but theoretically shouldn't happen because is
    > NiLithion or something). Anyhow, I no longe work on my laptop because
    > of my screen. (This is a 15 inch, UXGA monitor)Do you remember when
    > your TV needed adjustment with the antenna? Well, my screen looks like
    > that most of the time, especially after a minute or so.
    > All fussy, that it hurts your eyes. To make matters even worst. When
    > rebooting, the initial screen will have chuncks of rectangulars
    > (colorful) that signals there is something wrong with your laptop.
    > In the setup (F2), there will be horizontal lines that simulates an
    > eraser crossing through the lines of words. Sometimes I am still able
    > to read, but not often.
    >
    > Well, I have contacted Dell. It will cost me more bucks to replace the
    > videocard/motherbord(because they are joined together) than to buy a
    > new computer with the same exact specs. Oh, by the way, this is a
    > system for gaming purposes 1.0ghz, 512 MB of RAM, 64bits of Memory.
    > There was no better system two years ago. Amazing is to know that even
    > today my "laptop" only drawback in specs is on the ghz.
    >
    > Anyone with similar problems please reply.
    > Those who deals with old laptops, ideas to do with this piece of
    > equipment.

    Well, there are system boards for the Insp8100 up on ebay, as well as
    complete systems ( as an example and not an endorsement:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31542&item=3478150812&rd=1 )
    .. This particular one is also UXGA.

    How you want the money to work to your satisfaction and comfort level is
    purely a personal thing. Obviously you've a high regard for your particular
    system model. Believe it or not, I fully understand that fondness.

    My brother just yesterday picked up an Insp5100 with 15" XGA (2.4/533mhz,
    512, 40gb, DVD...) that had remaining factory warranty and all packaging,
    CDs and externals for what he considers a reasonable amount. He was
    replacing an old Toshiba 700mhz notebook and had shopped both the Dell home
    and small business sites.

    If you want to rebuild the one you have, the parts are out there - but not
    without at least a small degree of risk.

    Good luck for a happy solution.

    Stew

    jofre@myself.com (Jofre) wrote:

    S. Lewis has addressed most of your questions, but ...

    >The battery no longer lasts the
    >two hours (expected but theoretically shouldn't happen because is
    >NiLithion or something).

    Lithium batteries have an expected life of about two years, which
    is how long you mentioned you'd had the Inspiron. So declining
    ability to take/hold a charge is to be expected. If anything
    else hadn't gone wrong, you could have expected to have to
    replace the battery at about this point.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    does the picture quality change when you exercise the hinge from fully open
    to almost closed? it could just be a cable problem... a $30 part that if
    you are handy you could try to install yourself.

    "Jofre" <jofre@myself.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > HI,
    >
    > I am posting this message in the hopes of a final solution to my
    > beloved laptop.
    > I bought this amazing machine two years ago and served me very well.
    > Today, it only gives me mindgrains. The battery no longer lasts the
    > two hours (expected but theoretically shouldn't happen because is
    > NiLithion or something). Anyhow, I no longe work on my laptop because
    > of my screen. (This is a 15 inch, UXGA monitor)Do you remember when
    > your TV needed adjustment with the antenna? Well, my screen looks like
    > that most of the time, especially after a minute or so.
    > All fussy, that it hurts your eyes. To make matters even worst. When
    > rebooting, the initial screen will have chuncks of rectangulars
    > (colorful) that signals there is something wrong with your laptop.
    > In the setup (F2), there will be horizontal lines that simulates an
    > eraser crossing through the lines of words. Sometimes I am still able
    > to read, but not often.
    >
    > Well, I have contacted Dell. It will cost me more bucks to replace the
    > videocard/motherbord(because they are joined together) than to buy a
    > new computer with the same exact specs. Oh, by the way, this is a
    > system for gaming purposes 1.0ghz, 512 MB of RAM, 64bits of Memory.
    > There was no better system two years ago. Amazing is to know that even
    > today my "laptop" only drawback in specs is on the ghz.
    >
    > Anyone with similar problems please reply.
    > Those who deals with old laptops, ideas to do with this piece of
    > equipment.

    Well if it is the graphics i got a brand new geforce2 go for inspiron
    8100/latitude C810 if you are interested.....can send from sweden ,,,,,if
    you pay in advance.

    Litium Ion batterys have an expected life span for about 2 years from
    production date....mat vary by temperature and use.

    Pelle

Dell Laptops Inspiron Computers