TAF - what would be the right price?

On the very outside chance I can convince an operator to let me buy his
abused and neglected pin, what would you consider a fair price for:

Currently unworking TAF (all boards present), with a dirty playfield
that's NEVER been cleaned, slingshot plastics literally bolted down on
the posts until both cracked, translight fine with topper intact, cab
okay. I know from personal experience that they don't know how to fix
pins (you should see some of the "playfield fixes" I've seen on the
premises), so you can assume there's also going to be more unseen
problems and that the pin has never had any maintenance of ANY kind.

The ramps looked intact, don't know what else on an Addams to watch
for.

Anyone? Thanks - Q

Lots of things to look for. Does the Think hand work, does the bookcase
open and close, does the diverter on the upper left area of the ramp
work. Also, weldements get busted up on this game sometimes so checking
their condition would be a good idea also. Just a few off the top of my
head that are common problems you find on these. Luckily, I have seen
more offerings of bookcase linkages and parts so that getting things up
and running is still fairly easy on a TAF.

Doug

>Try to offer them $1k cash and carry and see what >kind of reaction you get.

You will have to judge the person yourself, but I would offer $800 if
you think you have a chance. Even less if the guy really is looking to
unload it. You may want to throw some other things into the deal and
raise the price to not make it look like you are trying to steal it.

They will have to invest at least $200 to get the thing going again.
They may take the money and run.

Kirb

>Try to offer them $1k cash and carry

I change my answer. I would say- "how much for it, cash and carry" base
your answer on what they say. You will know right away if you want to
deal with the person.

Kirb

$1000 or much less if it's dead.

Dead, ~$600

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
================================

qfrost wrote:
> On the very outside chance I can convince an operator to let me buy his
> abused and neglected pin, what would you consider a fair price for:
>
> Currently unworking TAF (all boards present), with a dirty playfield
> that's NEVER been cleaned, slingshot plastics literally bolted down on
> the posts until both cracked, translight fine with topper intact, cab
> okay. I know from personal experience that they don't know how to fix
> pins (you should see some of the "playfield fixes" I've seen on the
> premises), so you can assume there's also going to be more unseen
> problems and that the pin has never had any maintenance of ANY kind.
>
> The ramps looked intact, don't know what else on an Addams to watch
> for.
>
> Anyone? Thanks - Q

Whatever you do- let us all know how it turns out. From the few
operators I've talked to, it seems like they all have been approached
at one time or another to sell a game. Sometimes whether they sell
depends on if they have something else ready to fill that spot, so a
trade might be attractive to him instead of cash.

I've bought games off op's for cheap, and I've been pitched crazy high
prices too. What has always worked best for me was to either trade
them something they need, or repair something they need fixed.

YMMV
Mike Doyle

I will do - this particular has a set of 6 pinballs in his arcade, of
which 1 works with bad flippers, 1 looks like it works but defaults to
test mode first flipper button played, and 4 dead with various degrees
of abuse/fixes painfully visible. He's not making any money on them,
that's for certain!

- Q

> On the very outside chance I can convince an operator to let me buy his
> abused and neglected pin, what would you consider a fair price for:
>
> Currently unworking TAF (all boards present), with a dirty playfield
> that's NEVER been cleaned, slingshot plastics literally bolted down on
> the posts until both cracked, translight fine with topper intact, cab
> okay. I know from personal experience that they don't know how to fix
> pins (you should see some of the "playfield fixes" I've seen on the
> premises), so you can assume there's also going to be more unseen
> problems and that the pin has never had any maintenance of ANY kind.
>
> The ramps looked intact, don't know what else on an Addams to watch
> for.

The only way to convince an operator is to wave "piles-o-cash" in thier
general direction. Have the cash on you, so if a deal is struck, you can
load it up before he has a chance to get on-line and change his mind.

Try to offer them $1k cash and carry and see what kind of reaction you get.
If they are hard up for cash, then they might entertain your offer. If they
think they are sitting on a gold mine, they will probably laugh in your
face.

Either way, you'll have the answer to your question and *possibly* your next
pin to clean up and play.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

Q....Good luck on getting a TAF......I think you will really like
it....I love the pin!!!
Put a Sub-Woofer in......It makes this pin ROCK

Steve
skypin

Adi

Show up WITH CASH IN HAND and offer them 1400$-1500$ and tell them as soon
as you haul it they'll never hear back from you regarding problems with it
and you can fix your own machines. Have an appliance dolly and an SUV or a
truck, pay on the post and haul it immediately, as soon as money exchanged
hands, do not say you'll come next week. Best of luck.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

"qfrost" <qfrost@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On the very outside chance I can convince an operator to let me buy his
> abused and neglected pin, what would you consider a fair price for:
>
> Currently unworking TAF (all boards present), with a dirty playfield
> that's NEVER been cleaned, slingshot plastics literally bolted down on
> the posts until both cracked, translight fine with topper intact, cab
> okay. I know from personal experience that they don't know how to fix
> pins (you should see some of the "playfield fixes" I've seen on the
> premises), so you can assume there's also going to be more unseen
> problems and that the pin has never had any maintenance of ANY kind.
>
> The ramps looked intact, don't know what else on an Addams to watch
> for.
>
> Anyone? Thanks - Q

Agreed. Absolute best way to get it is standing there with the green in
your hands and let them see it as you make the offer -- Visual cues can make
all the difference in the world. And you MUST be able to haul it away right
there on the spot so have blankets, wrench, dolly and truck at the go. I
would start low knowing you may have to go up though. Its sounds rough but
you may have a nice diamond there anyway.

Good Luck.

Greg