D8400 - SATA - Drive Image

Working with: Dimension 8400 Desktop, Hard Disk Drive: 250 GB EIDE
SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (no raid), WinXP Home, BIOS A03

When booting with the Drive Image 7 CD, DI can't see the partitions on
the hard drive.

It sees the floppy (a:), the dvd/cd drives (d:, e:) and its ramdrive
(z:), but none of the 5 HD partitions (c: - g:).

The resulting problem is that I can't restore a C:\ image. Which is
making me a bit nervous.

During DI's boot/install process there are two error messages that
come up...

1. A window titled "Factory.exe" with the message "Failed to
install network adapter -- Check WINBOM"

2. A window titled "PowerQuest Recovery Environment" with the
message "No Network Interface cards (NIC) were detected"

At the moment those messages mean zilch to me, other than that
something is wrong.

I ran the DI CD on an older computer, just in case there was a problem
with the CD, and it functioned as expected.

So, something in the BIOS needs to get changed? Some file(s) is(are)
missing? DI is never going to work with SATA? This-or-that program
will image drives and restore them to a SATA HD?

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like Drive Image 7 is not compatible with SATA drives. Have you
updated to 7.03?
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004112915575362?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Drive%20Image&ver=7.x&csm=no&tpre=

"Fred (but not that one)" <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote in message
> Working with: Dimension 8400 Desktop, Hard Disk Drive: 250 GB EIDE
> SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (no raid), WinXP Home, BIOS A03
>
> When booting with the Drive Image 7 CD, DI can't see the partitions on
> the hard drive.
>
> It sees the floppy (a:), the dvd/cd drives (d:, e:) and its ramdrive
> (z:), but none of the 5 HD partitions (c: - g:).
>
> The resulting problem is that I can't restore a C:\ image. Which is
> making me a bit nervous.
>

> During DI's boot/install process there are two error messages that
> come up...
>
> 1. A window titled "Factory.exe" with the message "Failed to
> install network adapter -- Check WINBOM"
>
> 2. A window titled "PowerQuest Recovery Environment" with the
> message "No Network Interface cards (NIC) were detected"
>
> At the moment those messages mean zilch to me, other than that
> something is wrong.
>
> I ran the DI CD on an older computer, just in case there was a problem
> with the CD, and it functioned as expected.
>

> So, something in the BIOS needs to get changed? Some file(s) is(are)
> missing? DI is never going to work with SATA? This-or-that program
> will image drives and restore them to a SATA HD?
>

> Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

7.03 is installed on the computer, the boot disk is still the original
7. Not a peep about making a 7.03 boot disk... figures.

Time for DI to get some shelf time.

I'm not averse to buying a program that will create and restore a c:
drive image on a SATA drive. All the SATA users can't be relying on
System Restore, I would think.

Fred (but not that one) wrote:
> 7.03 is installed on the computer, the boot disk is still the original
> 7. Not a peep about making a 7.03 boot disk... figures.
>
> Time for DI to get some shelf time.
>
> I'm not averse to buying a program that will create and restore a c:
> drive image on a SATA drive. All the SATA users can't be relying on
> System Restore, I would think.
>

> WSZsr wrote:
>
>>Sounds like Drive Image 7 is not compatible with SATA drives. Have you
>>updated to 7.03?
>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004112915575362?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Drive%20Image&ver=7.x&csm=no&tpre=
>>

>>"Fred (but not that one)" <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Working with: Dimension 8400 Desktop, Hard Disk Drive: 250 GB EIDE
>>>SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (no raid), WinXP Home, BIOS A03
>>>
>>>When booting with the Drive Image 7 CD, DI can't see the partitions on
>>>the hard drive.
>>>It sees the floppy (a:), the dvd/cd drives (d:, e:) and its ramdrive
>>>(z:), but none of the 5 HD partitions (c: - g:).

Interesting question. FYI Symantec now owns PowerQuest maker of Drive
Image 7 and Partition Magic. The successor product is Ghost 9.0. I
just looked at the Symantec info. page it does not talk about SATA
drives. I have a copy of Ghost 9.0 as part of SystemWorks Pro 2005.
I'll see if the disk that looks like it is for rescueing stuff see the
SATA drives. Guess I will Partition Magic 8.0 while I am at it.

happycard wrote:
> ... I just looked at the Symantec info.
>page it does not talk about SATA drives.

Acronis is the same... no mention.

>I have a copy of Ghost 9.0 as part of SystemWorks Pro 2005.
>I'll see if the disk that looks like it is for rescueing stuff see
>the SATA drives.

Great. Looking forward to a report.

happycard wrote:
> Fred (but not that one) wrote:
>
>> 7.03 is installed on the computer, the boot disk is still the original
>> 7. Not a peep about making a 7.03 boot disk... figures.
>>
>> Time for DI to get some shelf time.
>>
>> I'm not averse to buying a program that will create and restore a c:
>> drive image on a SATA drive. All the SATA users can't be relying on
>> System Restore, I would think.
>>
>> WSZsr wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like Drive Image 7 is not compatible with SATA drives. Have
>>> you updated to 7.03?
>>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004112915575362?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Drive%20Image&ver=7.x&csm=no&tpre=
>>>

>>> "Fred (but not that one)" <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote in message

> Interesting question. FYI Symantec now owns PowerQuest maker of Drive
> Image 7 and Partition Magic. The successor product is Ghost 9.0. I
> just looked at the Symantec info. page it does not talk about SATA
> drives. I have a copy of Ghost 9.0 as part of SystemWorks Pro 2005.
> I'll see if the disk that looks like it is for rescueing stuff see the
> SATA drives. Guess I will Partition Magic 8.0 while I am at it.

I have a brand new Dell 8400. I just tried the Symantec REcovery Disk
that came with SystemWorks Pro 2005. It did NOT see the SATA drive.
Had to power off the machine to reboot so I did not try Partition Magic
8.0. But the copy is may be a year old so my guess would be it will
NOT see the drive either.

happycard wrote:
>I have a brand new Dell 8400. I just tried the Symantec REcovery Disk
>that came with SystemWorks Pro 2005. It did NOT see the SATA drive.
>Had to power off the machine to reboot so I did not try Partition Magic
>8.0. But the copy is may be a year old so my guess would be it will
>NOT see the drive either.

I used Partition Magic 8.0 to partition the SATA HD, without a
problem.

I used the Symantec Norton Ghost Version 9.0 (AKA Drive Image) to restore
two Western Digital 250GB SATA Harddrives that went south in less than 7
months. The first one was reporting S.M.A.R.T errors and the second one was
making a random clicking noise which was typically followed by a message in
the Event Viewer that it had a error while doing a paging operation.

The first drive was a bare metal restore. I booted from the Symantec Ghost
Recovery CD and then selected the recovery images and then the drive. The
process was extremely slow due to operating in DOS mode, but it completed
without any errors and system operated normally. The second SATA drive was
replaced a few weeks later, and since it was used only as a data drive I was
able to restore it from within Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2. This
made it a lot faster. Installed the drive and then did the partioning and
formatting from within Windows. After that was completed I used Ghost to
restore the data.

> happycard wrote:
>>I have a brand new Dell 8400. I just tried the Symantec REcovery Disk
>>that came with SystemWorks Pro 2005. It did NOT see the SATA drive.
>>Had to power off the machine to reboot so I did not try Partition Magic
>>8.0. But the copy is may be a year old so my guess would be it will
>>NOT see the drive either.
>
> I used Partition Magic 8.0 to partition the SATA HD, without a
> problem.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:24:47 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sounds like Drive Image 7 is not compatible with SATA drives. Have you
>updated to 7.03?
>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004112915575362?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Drive%20Image&ver=7.x&csm=no&tpre=
>

>"Fred (but not that one)" <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Working with: Dimension 8400 Desktop, Hard Disk Drive: 250 GB EIDE
>> SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (no raid), WinXP Home, BIOS A03
>>
>> When booting with the Drive Image 7 CD, DI can't see the partitions on
>> the hard drive.
>>
>> It sees the floppy (a:), the dvd/cd drives (d:, e:) and its ramdrive
>> (z:), but none of the 5 HD partitions (c: - g:).
>>
>> The resulting problem is that I can't restore a C:\ image. Which is
>> making me a bit nervous.
>>

>> During DI's boot/install process there are two error messages that
>> come up...
>>
>> 1. A window titled "Factory.exe" with the message "Failed to
>> install network adapter -- Check WINBOM"
>>
>> 2. A window titled "PowerQuest Recovery Environment" with the
>> message "No Network Interface cards (NIC) were detected"
>>
>> At the moment those messages mean zilch to me, other than that
>> something is wrong.
>>
>> I ran the DI CD on an older computer, just in case there was a problem
>> with the CD, and it functioned as expected.
>>

>> So, something in the BIOS needs to get changed? Some file(s) is(are)
>> missing? DI is never going to work with SATA? This-or-that program
>> will image drives and restore them to a SATA HD?
>>

>> Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

Try using Ghost 9.0 worked for me on an 8400

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

if theres no RAID make sure in the BIOS under RAID it is set to compatable
and not RAID enabled?

Fixer wrote:
>if theres no RAID make sure in the BIOS under RAID it is set to
>compatable and not RAID enabled?

Aaah, that did it, problem solved.

Fixer wrote:
> if theres no RAID make sure in the BIOS under RAID it is set to compatable
> and not RAID enabled?
> "Fred (but not that one)" <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>Working with: Dimension 8400 Desktop, Hard Disk Drive: 250 GB EIDE
>>SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (no raid), WinXP Home, BIOS A03
>>
>>When booting with the Drive Image 7 CD, DI can't see the partitions on
>>the hard drive.
>>
>>It sees the floppy (a:), the dvd/cd drives (d:, e:) and its ramdrive
>>(z:), but none of the 5 HD partitions (c: - g:).
>>
>>The resulting problem is that I can't restore a C:\ image. Which is
>>making me a bit nervous.
>>

>>During DI's boot/install process there are two error messages that
>>come up...
>>
>> 1. A window titled "Factory.exe" with the message "Failed to
>>install network adapter -- Check WINBOM"
>>
>> 2. A window titled "PowerQuest Recovery Environment" with the
>>message "No Network Interface cards (NIC) were detected"
>>
>>At the moment those messages mean zilch to me, other than that
>>something is wrong.
>>
>>I ran the DI CD on an older computer, just in case there was a problem
>>with the CD, and it functioned as expected.
>>

>>So, something in the BIOS needs to get changed? Some file(s) is(are)
>>missing? DI is never going to work with SATA? This-or-that program
>>will image drives and restore them to a SATA HD?
>>

>>Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

Trying to understand how I can recover from either a hard drive failure
or a messed up OS. Before I put a lot of SW on the system.

I decided to try some experiments with booting Partition Magic 8.0 CD.
It did see the SATA drive, which is good. But Drive Image 7.0 CD (an
older sub version) does not see the SATA drive. SATA, Raid are new
territory for me.

Sp I looked at the BIOS, Drives - SATA. There are 4 choices
1) RAID/Autodetect /AHC1 - Original setting as delivered.
2) RAID Autodetect /ATA
3) RAID on
4) Combination which is defined as PATA/SATA

The BIOS contains a warning about setting to Combination will not take
affect immediately. Booting using DI 7.0 CD does not see the disk if it
is set to number 1. But does if I to set #2, and boot from the DI 7.0
CD, it sees the drive. But I can't leave the setting on #2, windows
won't boot. It starts and then goes to a BSOD with a 5 line warning
about removing new hard drives, controllers, checking drive termination
and finally suggests trying to run chkdsk /f. If I restart again, I get
a screen asking if I want to start in safe mode, command mode, or etc.
If I even try safe mode it scrolls the line from the boot.ini file that
lists the disk and partition. So I put the BOIS back on #1 and windows
boots.

So if I did have to do a restore, would I have to set the BIOS to #2, do
the restore, then go back to #1 before I boot? Or what?

happycard wrote:
> ... But Drive Image 7.0 CD (an
>older sub version) does not see the SATA drive. SATA, Raid are new
>territory for me.

>Sp I looked at the BIOS, Drives - SATA. There are 4 choices
>1) RAID/Autodetect /AHC1 - Original setting as delivered.

Leave it there.

>So if I did have to do a restore, would I have to set the BIOS to #2, do
>the restore, then go back to #1 before I boot? Or what?

The answer:
Using Ghost v9.0 (and it's the same for DI), just as Ghost starts to
boot\install, on the bottom of the window, it tells you to hit F6 if
you have drivers to install - it comes and goes quickly, so you have
to be paying attention and ready to hit the key. About halfway
through the progress bar it will stop and ask for the driver on the
floppy drive (A:).

So, prepare a floppy with the Intel Application Accelerator Driver and
associated files (I put them all on the floppy, to make sure it had
all the files it wants). The files are in
C:\Drivers\Storage\SATA\ONBOARD. (They are also on the ResourceCD in
CSD\Drivers\IAA\XPSG3)

Follow the prompts and when Ghost (DI) completes its setup you will be
able to see the SATA drive.

Credit for getting me pointed in the right direction goes to Tom
Scales, WSZsr and David Casey in the thread "Dim 8400 Reinstall
Question" initiated on 9/26/2004.

The bad news is that I bought Ghost v9.0 when I really didn't have to,
the good news is that it only cost $19.99 w/rebates at CompUSA.

Thanks - um, not obvious. Had not onticed the F6 prompt had not usually
watched DI come up, since it takes at least 5 min. on my P III. I knew
there was reason I configured the system with a floppy drive. :) YOu
don't use it often but when you need it you really need it, the
alternatives are ugly. I did not get a ResourceCD with my systet, which
is strange. A friend at work who ordered a DELL 4700 may be a week
earlier got the A08 release. I will get a copy from him and I am going
to call Dell and request one and let them know why I want one. Restore
partitions are ok, but I usually do a re-install once I know I can
recover the pre-loaded OS. There is always some tweak you need to
figure out by looking at how the system was loaded originally. My last
3 computers were white box clones. The last one came with WIn98 SE,
since upgraded to WinXP, which I have re-installed about once a year.

I also found all appropriate Application Accelerator stuff on Intel's
web site
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa_raid/
Chip ID utility, IAA, floppy making SW.