Sign in with
Your question

Cannot download exe files on windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2012 12:48:45 PM

Hello,
I cannot download exe files on windows 7. When I attempt to do so the notification bar on IE9 only gives me the option of 'save' or 'save as'. There used to be an option to 'run' from the notification bar. When when I attempt to save nothing appears to happen. If I 'save as' to desktop a folder appears on desktop which when clicked offers the option to open or cancel, clicking on open brings up a menu which asks what program I want to use to open the file with.
November 8, 2012 1:16:10 PM

I'd run a virus scan
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 1:58:19 PM

jim89 said:
Hello,
I cannot download exe files on windows 7. When I attempt to do so the notification bar on IE9 only gives me the option of 'save' or 'save as'. There used to be an option to 'run' from the notification bar. When when I attempt to save nothing appears to happen. If I 'save as' to desktop a folder appears on desktop which when clicked offers the option to open or cancel, clicking on open brings up a menu which asks what program I want to use to open the file with.

Allowing programs to be executed from within the browser is a security flaw. Most browsers no longer allow this and instead require the user to save the file first.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:13:58 PM

Many thanks for your replies. I have scanned for viruses but nothing showed up. I have tried downloading Firefox and along with any other programs I try to download it appears in the 'View and Track your Downloads Menu', but when I click on the 'open' option in this menu nothing happens. The files are not in the download folder. I have also looked at the exe default association problem on Microsoft but I think I would need to run these exe programs rather than open them with another program.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 2:18:31 PM

Are you on a school or work network?
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:22:11 PM

Pinhedd said:
Allowing programs to be executed from within the browser is a security flaw. Most browsers no longer allow this and instead require the user to save the file first.

I have managed to download and save a program 'essential pim', to the desktop, but when I try to run it I only get the option to open it, with Windows asking which program I want to open it with
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:23:37 PM

anonymous1 said:
Are you on a school or work network?

Just on my home computer
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 3:09:31 PM

jim89 said:
I have also looked at the exe default association problem on Microsoft but I think I would need to run these exe programs rather than open them with another program.

you didn't try the fixit?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505
m
l
November 8, 2012 3:22:39 PM

rgd1101 said:
you didn't try the fixit?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Yes, but I get an option option 'Do You want to open or save MicrosoftFixit etc' on notification bar. If opt to open it nothing happens, if I opt to save the program I get notice 'MicrosoftFixit50194-msi couldn't be downloaded' on the notification bar with the option to 'Retry' 'Cancel' 'View Downloads'. Retry produces the same result, 'cancel' works Ok but of course achieves nothing and 'view downloads' shows the downloads menu with a note saying the program could not be downloaded
m
l
November 8, 2012 4:00:55 PM

rgd1101 said:
restore from system restore. or do the manual fix as it said on the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Thanks, but I only had Windows reinstalled by local computer repair shop due to blue screen crash, which apparently was caused by the video card, it was after the reinstallation this problem occurred, so there would be no restore points before problem began. I just do not feel confident enough to mess with the registry. So perhaps the I should go back to repair man. I had thought problem might just be a security setting on IE. Many thanks again for taking the trouble to reply
m
l
November 8, 2012 4:27:56 PM

Many thanks again for all replies. I believe I finally have the answer. It involved right clicking on Windows Explorer icon and clicking on Run As Administrator. This appears to allow me to run programs from the notifications bar.
m
l
!