Administrator password lost

Hello,

A friend has a problem with the PC. He tried the repair from the CD but the
wizard ask him the administrator password.....but he doesn't remember it (I
know it's stupid). Is there a solution, to reset this password ? or bypass ?

Thanks,
5 answers Last reply
More about administrator password lost

    Christian Ista wrote:
    > A friend has a problem with the PC. He tried the repair from the CD
    > but the wizard ask him the administrator password.....but he doesn't
    > remember it (I know it's stupid). Is there a solution, to reset this
    > password ? or bypass ?

    Try here:

    And if worse comes to worse:

    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Assuming that your friend bought his / her xp disk and correspondingly has
    the CD key, I would reinstall the XP operation system from scratch,
    reformating the drive and reloading all of the software. It is a time
    consuming pain, but that is what I do when worse comes to worse. Reformating
    the drive and starting out with a fresh install seems to resolve a lot of
    problems. I would also tell your friend to use the first name of a
    deceased relative for the admin password. Another idea is to create more
    than one user id on the computer with administrative rights.

    > Assuming that your friend bought his / her xp disk and correspondingly
    > has
    > the CD key, I would reinstall the XP operation system from scratch,
    > reformating the drive and reloading all of the software.

    I know that but ....

    1. On drive C he has 30Gb of pictures and of course without backup; Like me
    he will become a backup addict ;-)
    2. He can't boot (it's for that he want to do a repair.... to recover
    pictures and data) but admin password is asking.

    Regards,

    Christian,

    Feel free to contact me directly me if you want. For now, contact me at the
    following email address. Remove the word REMOVE from the address (written in
    twice). This address is good for now. I created it for newsgroups just
    incase a bot discovered it and whams me. It us currently hooked up to
    outlook as no bots have discovered it yet.

    Spam_MeREMOVENot@hotREMOVEmail.com

    Darius Mead wrote:

    > Assuming that your friend bought his / her xp disk and correspondingly has
    > the CD key, I would reinstall the XP operation system from scratch,
    > reformating the drive and reloading all of the software. It is a time
    > consuming pain, but that is what I do when worse comes to worse. Reformating
    > the drive and starting out with a fresh install seems to resolve a lot of
    > problems. I would also tell your friend to use the first name of a
    > deceased relative for the admin password. Another idea is to create more
    > than one user id on the computer with administrative rights.

    Doing a clean install is not necessary - see the post by Shenan Stanley.
    Doesn't matter how many users profiles are on the system with admin
    rights. That particular password is the password for the built in
    administrator account, not any old account with admin privileges. For
    XP Pro at install time you're prompted for a password for that account,
    not so for XP Home. If the OP has XP home they should try assuming the
    password is blank and just hit enter. All that is needed, in any event,
    in addition to the built in "Administrator account" is one account with
    administrator privileges. Logging in to any admin level account and you
    can change the password on any other admin account.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP