Question about Presario 7000US

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it is
working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME operating
system and I have decided to simply install XP professional from scratch
instead of trying to repair the old OS.

It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed another
stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both bios and OS)
seems to recognize this correctly.

Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS. If I
let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I can only
boot it up in safe mode.

What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely start
from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is recommended to
install with XP pro?

Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake this
job?

Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can the
motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

hh

"Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it is
>working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME operating
>system and I have decided to simply install XP professional from scratch
>instead of trying to repair the old OS.
>
> It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed
> another stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both bios
> and OS) seems to recognize this correctly.
>
> Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS. If
> I let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I can
> only boot it up in safe mode.
>
> What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely
> start from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is
> recommended to install with XP pro?
>
> Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake
> this job?
>
> Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can
> the motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

hh

With your 80GB HD, I'd definitely go NTFS for the file system. Just get a
DOS boot floppy with FDISK and run it, setting up one primary active
partition, then boot with your XP install CD and go from there. XP drivers
for the 7000US can be found here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

Oh each DIMM slot can handle up to a 256MB Single Density DIMM, for a max
RAM of 768MB. I'd recommend 512MB as a minimum for XP.

HH

"Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it is
>working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME operating
>system and I have decided to simply install XP professional from scratch
>instead of trying to repair the old OS.
>
> It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed
> another stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both bios
> and OS) seems to recognize this correctly.
>
> Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS. If
> I let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I can
> only boot it up in safe mode.
>
> What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely
> start from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is
> recommended to install with XP pro?
>
> Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake
> this job?
>
> Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can
> the motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Thanks for the response, How can I add a reset switch to the computer? I
know that I can add it to the case, bit can the motherboard accommodate a
push button reset switch?

Also, how and where can I get a dos boot floppy? --Greg--

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> With your 80GB HD, I'd definitely go NTFS for the file system. Just get a
> DOS boot floppy with FDISK and run it, setting up one primary active
> partition, then boot with your XP install CD and go from there. XP drivers
> for the 7000US can be found here:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228
>
> Oh each DIMM slot can handle up to a 256MB Single Density DIMM, for a max
> RAM of 768MB. I'd recommend 512MB as a minimum for XP.
>
> HH
>

> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>>I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it is
>>working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME
>>operating system and I have decided to simply install XP professional
>>from scratch instead of trying to repair the old OS.
>>
>> It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed
>> another stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both bios
>> and OS) seems to recognize this correctly.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS.
>> If I let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I
>> can only boot it up in safe mode.
>>
>> What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely
>> start from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is
>> recommended to install with XP pro?
>>
>> Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake
>> this job?
>>
>> Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can
>> the motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

hh

I see no reference to any connector pins on the motherboard for a hardware
reset switch. Likely not supported. The link to the Maintenance & Service
(M&S) Guide for the 7000US is here:

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/7PL313-7001/

> Thanks for the response, How can I add a reset switch to the computer? I
> know that I can add it to the case, bit can the motherboard accommodate a
> push button reset switch?
>
> Also, how and where can I get a dos boot floppy? --Greg--
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> With your 80GB HD, I'd definitely go NTFS for the file system. Just get a
>> DOS boot floppy with FDISK and run it, setting up one primary active
>> partition, then boot with your XP install CD and go from there. XP
>> drivers for the 7000US can be found here:
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228
>>
>> Oh each DIMM slot can handle up to a 256MB Single Density DIMM, for a max
>> RAM of 768MB. I'd recommend 512MB as a minimum for XP.
>>
>> HH
>>

>> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>>>I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it
>>>is working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME
>>>operating system and I have decided to simply install XP professional
>>>from scratch instead of trying to repair the old OS.
>>>
>>> It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed
>>> another stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both
>>> bios and OS) seems to recognize this correctly.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS.
>>> If I let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I
>>> can only boot it up in safe mode.
>>>
>>> What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely
>>> start from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is
>>> recommended to install with XP pro?
>>>
>>> Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake
>>> this job?
>>>
>>> Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can
>>> the motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

hh

Oh, the boot floppy:

http://www.bootdisk.com

HH

"Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response, How can I add a reset switch to the computer? I
> know that I can add it to the case, bit can the motherboard accommodate a
> push button reset switch?
>
> Also, how and where can I get a dos boot floppy? --Greg--
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> With your 80GB HD, I'd definitely go NTFS for the file system. Just get a
>> DOS boot floppy with FDISK and run it, setting up one primary active
>> partition, then boot with your XP install CD and go from there. XP
>> drivers for the 7000US can be found here:
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228
>>
>> Oh each DIMM slot can handle up to a 256MB Single Density DIMM, for a max
>> RAM of 768MB. I'd recommend 512MB as a minimum for XP.
>>
>> HH
>>

>> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>>>I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it
>>>is working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME
>>>operating system and I have decided to simply install XP professional
>>>from scratch instead of trying to repair the old OS.
>>>
>>> It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed
>>> another stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both
>>> bios and OS) seems to recognize this correctly.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS.
>>> If I let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I
>>> can only boot it up in safe mode.
>>>
>>> What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely
>>> start from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is
>>> recommended to install with XP pro?
>>>
>>> Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake
>>> this job?
>>>
>>> Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can
>>> the motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

You have been very helpful. I was able to install a hardware pushbutton
switch and mount wires to the front panel connector. There were two pins
that said RST, I tried it and it worked fine.

Thanks again for the help. Now if I only knew where to get my hands on a
full install copy of XP Pro cheap!! --Greg--

>I see no reference to any connector pins on the motherboard for a hardware
>reset switch. Likely not supported. The link to the Maintenance & Service
>(M&S) Guide for the 7000US is here:
>
> http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/7PL313-7001/
>
> HH
>

> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the response, How can I add a reset switch to the computer? I
>> know that I can add it to the case, bit can the motherboard accommodate a
>> push button reset switch?
>>
>> Also, how and where can I get a dos boot floppy? --Greg--
>>

>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> With your 80GB HD, I'd definitely go NTFS for the file system. Just get
>>> a DOS boot floppy with FDISK and run it, setting up one primary active
>>> partition, then boot with your XP install CD and go from there. XP
>>> drivers for the 7000US can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228
>>>
>>> Oh each DIMM slot can handle up to a 256MB Single Density DIMM, for a
>>> max RAM of 768MB. I'd recommend 512MB as a minimum for XP.
>>>
>>> HH
>>>

>>> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message

hh

Is Pro mandatory? XP Home suffices for 90% of all non-commercial users. You
can get XP Home OEM full installs from several places for $99. Pro is $50
more.

> You have been very helpful. I was able to install a hardware pushbutton
> switch and mount wires to the front panel connector. There were two pins
> that said RST, I tried it and it worked fine.
>
> Thanks again for the help. Now if I only knew where to get my hands on a
> full install copy of XP Pro cheap!! --Greg--
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I see no reference to any connector pins on the motherboard for a hardware
>>reset switch. Likely not supported. The link to the Maintenance & Service
>>(M&S) Guide for the 7000US is here:
>>
>> http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/7PL313-7001/
>>
>> HH
>>

>> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the response, How can I add a reset switch to the computer?
>>> I know that I can add it to the case, bit can the motherboard
>>> accommodate a push button reset switch?
>>>
>>> Also, how and where can I get a dos boot floppy? --Greg--
>>>

>>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

What's the difference between home and pro editions? --Greg--

> Is Pro mandatory? XP Home suffices for 90% of all non-commercial users.
> You can get XP Home OEM full installs from several places for $99. Pro is
> $50 more.
> HH
>
> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
>> You have been very helpful. I was able to install a hardware pushbutton
>> switch and mount wires to the front panel connector. There were two pins
>> that said RST, I tried it and it worked fine.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help. Now if I only knew where to get my hands on a
>> full install copy of XP Pro cheap!! --Greg--
>>

>> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I see no reference to any connector pins on the motherboard for a
>>>hardware reset switch. Likely not supported. The link to the Maintenance
>>>& Service (M&S) Guide for the 7000US is here:
>>>
>>> http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/7PL313-7001/
>>>
>>> HH
>>>

>>> "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message

50 dollars ;-)

> What's the difference between home and pro editions? --Greg--
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is Pro mandatory? XP Home suffices for 90% of all non-commercial users.
> > You can get XP Home OEM full installs from several places for $99. Pro
is
> > $50 more.
> > HH
> >
> > "Anon" <Anon@Anon.com> wrote in message
> >> You have been very helpful. I was able to install a hardware pushbutton
> >> switch and mount wires to the front panel connector. There were two
pins
> >> that said RST, I tried it and it worked fine.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for the help. Now if I only knew where to get my hands on
> >> full install copy of XP Pro cheap!! --Greg--
> >>

> >> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Maintenance

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

hh

Real helpful answer there. Actually there are some differences other than
price, mainly in the areas of network security and operations. However,
personally, I've found XP Home to fill all my needs and have never had the
urge topay more for Pro. As I noted, Home is perfectly satisfactory for the
vast majority of home users. Some people have aparanoia about it and think
XP Pro is needed when in truth it is not for most of us.
HH