Sign in with
Your question

Amd price going drop with A64 release?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2003 2:18:46 AM

I was just wondering if amd price are going to fall a bit when Athonl 64 comes out on the 23rd? I am going to get 2600xp and I would wait to buy the parts if there is a nice price drop up ahead.
September 2, 2003 2:43:53 AM

Since the Athlon 64 is a different range of products, like Opteron, AMD can confound prices as much as they want really. No, I do not expect any price drops soon. The A64s will be comfortably priced high, so the 3200+ has very little risks of being in the same price range of another A64.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=yellow><b>Craptastica</b></font color=yellow></A>
September 2, 2003 3:50:38 AM

Drat!!!!!!!!!

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
Related resources
September 2, 2003 4:12:31 AM

Yah, at $106 the xp2600 is sooo expensive.
September 2, 2003 4:24:55 AM

Still though, I really like the concept of maxxing out my mobos to their fullest before I retire them at the end of next year. THe fastest CPUs for the AXP line should be cheap enough to provide a worthwhile upgrade, by the time AXP from my low to mid-range spectrum Socket A CPUs to maximum performance.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
September 2, 2003 9:48:10 AM

that's pretty cheap for xp2600

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>
September 2, 2003 10:07:06 AM

Retail price at newegg.
September 2, 2003 10:33:21 AM

newegg prices are nice, the problem is i can't order to newegg because i live in Asia. Lot's of hassle and shipping costs.

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>
September 2, 2003 8:28:38 PM

Well you guys know when I checked newegg retail price for 2600xp it was $104. NOW IT WENT UP 2 TO 106. I was just wondering what happened there. And $106 isn't what i could called cheap, I would call it mid range. $50 is cheap :) 
September 3, 2003 12:52:35 AM

I call it the most I am willing to spend on a cpu.
September 3, 2003 12:55:14 AM

Have you tried any more local countries, maybe some place like the philipines?
September 3, 2003 12:58:21 AM

I dont like to dissagree with Eden, he is usually right, but Amd has been dropping prices for any reason. It may not be a huge drop, but you can bet on some.
September 3, 2003 1:40:50 AM

It could be retailers doing it, not them. It is more of a market regulation phenomenon to adapt to the new offerings. But don't expect anything magical. AMD is only gonna lose more if they sway people into buying CHEAP PRICED AXPs over the new A64s, which in turn just distracts from real profitable sales.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=yellow><b>Craptastica</b></font color=yellow></A>
September 3, 2003 5:35:06 AM

I live in philippines. The prices here don't drop very often. But AMD processors are quite cheap. The 2500+ barton (cheapest) costs about $89.00

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -
September 3, 2003 5:37:13 AM

And i'm sure AMD athlon 64 will arrive here next year. not these year (or maybe december). Due to consumer's budget.
Only the super-rich people can buy them when it first arrive for a premium price.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -
September 3, 2003 1:50:17 PM

lol 106$ is not much I spend more on black jack a saturday night ( since i suck @ it ).
September 3, 2003 2:08:24 PM

Quote:
lol 106$ is not much I spend more on black jack a saturday night ( since i suck @ it ).

Well if you <i>enjoy</i> losing money you could just send fifty bucks my way every so often. ;)  I can't promise that you'll be a winner but at least one of us will be happy then...

<font color=blue>If you look <font color=purple>The Devil</font color=purple><font color=red>®</font color=red> straight in the eye and only see yourself then you must be standing in front of a mirror.</font color=blue>
September 3, 2003 3:44:52 PM

at least one of us will be happy then...
-------------------------------------------------------

Trust me, i´m very happy.
!