KVM switch vs VNC?

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:dqu8r01686llnuagb717u5uq9crou0hiu3@4ax.com...
> Can I basically use VNC and accomplish the same thing
> as buying and using a KVM switch?

Well, similar. Thoughts that occur to me:
- Using VNC requires you to have both PCs powered up.
- You couldn't see the BIOS setup screen or anything like that with VNC
- I'm not sure how games work through VNC, the virtual screen response might
not be quick enough.

On the other hand, some people seem to have problems with KVMs, in terms of
funny responses by the mouse when switching systems, esp. if you have any
kind of non-standard mouse, and other odd things of a similar nature. Many
other people seem quite happy though.

John

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Can I basically use VNC and accomplish the same thing
>> as buying and using a KVM switch?
>
> Well, similar. Thoughts that occur to me:
> - Using VNC requires you to have both PCs powered up.
> - You couldn't see the BIOS setup screen or anything like that with VNC
> - I'm not sure how games work through VNC, the virtual screen response
> might
> not be quick enough.
>
> On the other hand, some people seem to have problems with KVMs, in terms
> of
> funny responses by the mouse when switching systems, esp. if you have any
> kind of non-standard mouse, and other odd things of a similar nature. Many
> other people seem quite happy though.

I use a combo of both KVMs and Remote Desktop. I have had mouse and
keyboard issues with Belkin KVMs that are daisy chained when switching from
bank to bank. This is with a standard MS mouse and making sure the same
driver is installed on every PC. However, I've never had issues with the
PCs all on the same KVM.

Remote Desktop is fabulous especially when you want to see more then on PC
at the same time. It also makes switching between multiple PCs as simple as
clicking on a window.

--

Rob

ME

>Well, similar. Thoughts that occur to me:
>- Using VNC requires you to have both PCs powered up.
>- You couldn't see the BIOS setup screen or anything like that with VNC
>- I'm not sure how games work through VNC, the virtual screen response might
>not be quick enough.

Thanks John!!

Good info!

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I use a combo of both KVMs and Remote Desktop.

Oneupmanship: I'm using a KVM, RDP and Virtual PC. And it is soooo
easy to get lost I've resorted to using BGinfo to give me a clue what
I'm controlling :)