Good day

I have a Windows XP Pro on a network (the printer connected to is is share
by the network). I have been to even viewer & see errors mostly on
winword.exe application hang (event id: 1002). It is happening with other
applications such excel, ntvdm.exe, fault bucket 02096553, rundll32.exe,
ieplorer.exe, etc.

Please advise

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

Gibgo wrote:
> *Good day
>
> I have a Windows XP Pro on a network (the printer connected to is is
> share
> by the network). I have been to even viewer & see errors mostly on
> winword.exe application hang (event id: 1002). It is happening with
> other
> applications such excel, ntvdm.exe, fault bucket 02096553,
> rundll32.exe,
> ieplorer.exe, etc.
>
> Please advise *

Hi the error 1002:

Cause
This problem occurs when one of the following conditions is true:

(a) The Dir.edb database file is missing.

(b) The registry entries that define the paths to the directory
database and to other required files point to the incorrect locations.

RESOLUTION.

To resolve this problem verify that the Dir.edb database file file
exists and verify the location of the file. Then, change the registry
entries to point to the correct locations. To do this follow these
steps.

Verify the Dir.edb database file
1 Search the hard drives on the computer for the Dir.edb database
file.

2 If the Dir.edb database file does not exist, restore the database
from a backup.

For more information, click the following article numbers to view the
articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

184186 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184186/) Exchange from a
corrupted directory.

177635 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177635/) How to set up a
disaster recovery server for Dir.edb

183266 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183266/) How to restore an off
line backup of the directory service and information store

Verify the registry entries

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
problems might require that you reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
the registry at your own risk.

1 Start Registry Editor.
2 Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current\ControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDS\Parameters
3 Verify that the following registry entries point to the correct
locations. If a registry entry points to the wrong location, type the
correct path for that entry:
(a) Verify that the "DSA Database File" registry entry points to the
Dir.edb database file.
(b) Verify that the "Database log file path" registry entry points to
the Edb.log files for the directory service.
(c) Verify that the "DSA Working Directory" registry entry points to
the Edb.chk file for the directory service.
NOTE For example type Drive:\exchsrvr\dsadata.
4 After you verify all the registry entries, start the directory
service.

Hope this helps you.

--
thedon57

Why do I have to create an echange server, the system does not have exhange
server installed.

Secondly how do i find the database dir.edb. where is it located?

"thedon57" wrote:

> [...]
> Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
> the registry at your own risk.
>
> 1 Start Registry Editor.
> 2 Locate the following registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current\ControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDS\Parameters
> 3 Verify that the following registry entries point to the correct
> locations. If a registry entry points to the wrong location, type the
> correct path for that entry:
> (a) Verify that the "DSA Database File" registry entry points to the
> Dir.edb database file.
> (b) Verify that the "Database log file path" registry entry points to
> the Edb.log files for the directory service.
> (c) Verify that the "DSA Working Directory" registry entry points to
> the Edb.chk file for the directory service.
> NOTE For example type Drive:\exchsrvr\dsadata.
> 4 After you verify all the registry entries, start the directory

Malke

Gibgo wrote:

> Why do I have to create an echange server, the system does not have
> exhange server installed.
>
> Secondly how do i find the database dir.edb. where is it located?
>

>> Gibgo wrote:
>> > *Good day
>> >
>> > I have a Windows XP Pro on a network (the printer connected to is
>> > is share
>> > by the network). I have been to even viewer & see errors mostly on
>> > winword.exe application hang (event id: 1002). It is happening with
>> > other
>> > applications such excel, ntvdm.exe, fault bucket 02096553,
>> > rundll32.exe,
>> > ieplorer.exe, etc.

I'm not sure why "thedon57" thought this had anything to do with an
Exchange Server except for the Event ID you mentioned. If your computer
is not a workstation on a domain with an Exchange Server, naturally
this would not apply to you at all. Is your computer on a domain or
just a workgroup network?

Unfortunately, we don't have enough information about your computer to
know why you are having the errors. It could be caused by software
(drivers, viruses, malware, file system corruption) or hardware
(failing hard drive, flaky RAM, etc.). What changed between the time
things worked and the time they didn't? Is this an old computer? What
is its virus/malware status?

Post back with more details about your system and your network so we can
focus the troubleshooting for you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke

Gibgo wrote:

> Well as it states on the website it also affects clients as well, not
> only the server. Please can you read the website again!

You're pretty demanding for a guy who is asking for free tech support
from volunteers. You haven't even described what the computer is doing
and it took 4 posts for us to get a vague idea of your setup. So no,
I'm not going to the website again. I see in your next post that you
defragged the drive and that seems to have fixed things for you. With
that in mind, I'd do a couple of things:

1. Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the drive mftr. It
can't hurt and it is better to know the drive is healthy.

2. Do your normal maintenance - delete temp. and TIF files, trim off
anything not necessary to that computer's job.

3. Get the printer off there. Go to a networked printer or a print
server.

Malke
--

"" wrote:
> Good day
>
> I have a Windows XP Pro on a network (the printer connected to
> is is share
> by the network). I have been to even viewer & see errors
> mostly on
> winword.exe application hang (event id: 1002). It is happening
> with other
> applications such excel, ntvdm.exe, fault bucket 02096553,
> rundll32.exe,
> ieplorer.exe, etc.
>
> Please advise

Hi
winword.exe hangs is the normal.dot file is corrupted. Just search for
normal.dot file in the c: (system drive) and delete it. This template
file gets created next time you load winword.exe.

Also whats system hardware configuration. Your RAM might be
insufficient for lot of application to work together. To free system
memory clear some of the startup items.
Give us more details on what was the recent change in your computer ?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Application-Hang-ftopict414065.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1380266

I have done a hard drive defrag & now seems to be performing, what you think,
I don't need it to start again

"meow123" wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > Good day
> >
> > I have a Windows XP Pro on a network (the printer connected to
> > is is share
> > by the network). I have been to even viewer & see errors
> > mostly on
> > winword.exe application hang (event id: 1002). It is happening
> > with other
> > applications such excel, ntvdm.exe, fault bucket 02096553,
> > rundll32.exe,
> > ieplorer.exe, etc.
> >
> > Please advise
>
> Hi
> winword.exe hangs is the normal.dot file is corrupted. Just search for
> normal.dot file in the c: (system drive) and delete it. This template
> file gets created next time you load winword.exe.
>
> Also whats system hardware configuration. Your RAM might be
> insufficient for lot of application to work together. To free system
> memory clear some of the startup items.
> Give us more details on what was the recent change in your computer ?

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Application-Hang-ftopict414065.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1380266

Thanks I will wait for others response that will help more efficiently!