Adding a Sound Card

eb

I have a 400SC system and would like to add a sound card...
Do I need to turn the sound option OFF in the BIOS, and delete anything in
the Device Manager, before fitting the card & installing the software? Or
just fit & install the card and let the new software take care of
everything?
Thanks.

"EB" <ebelletty@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a 400SC system and would like to add a sound card...
> Do I need to turn the sound option OFF in the BIOS, and delete anything in
> the Device Manager, before fitting the card & installing the software? Or
> just fit & install the card and let the new software take care of
> everything?
> Thanks.

It's likely that BIOS will disable the integrated sound automatically.
While I don't know the 400SC, I would likely install the sound card software
first noting the location of the driver files, then power down and install
the card - then reboot and point Windows ( if you're in fact using Windows)
to the .inf files.

You could go to the trouble of removing traces of the down sound from device
manager, but that may not even be necessary unless you'd just prefer it.

Stew

Douglas

When I added a pci soundcard to my 400sc,I first disabled the on-board sound
in device manager.Then installed the sound card as per manufacturers
recommended method.
"EB" <ebelletty@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a 400SC system and would like to add a sound card...
> Do I need to turn the sound option OFF in the BIOS, and delete anything in
> the Device Manager, before fitting the card & installing the software? Or
> just fit & install the card and let the new software take care of
> everything?
> Thanks.

David

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:<A5mdnZR1itkQngbdRVn-uQ@centurytel.net>...
> When I added a pci soundcard to my 400sc,I first disabled the on-board sound
> in device manager.Then installed the sound card as per manufacturers
> recommended method.
> "EB" <ebelletty@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I have a 400SC system and would like to add a sound card...
> > Do I need to turn the sound option OFF in the BIOS, and delete anything in
> > the Device Manager, before fitting the card & installing the software? Or
> > just fit & install the card and let the new software take care of
> > everything?
> > Thanks.

On any Dell computer I have worked with you can disable on board
sound in the bios. You will not have to disable in windows
if you do this.
Dave

Douglas

Well,I have the 400sc,and there is NO NEED to turn it off in the bios!Either
just disable it or uninstall the soundmax drivers if you have installed
them.Then install your card!