there is no cd-rom driver on my computer, but I have made a copy of source
file on the hard disk. now windows file protection ask me to insert the
windows xp cd into the cd-rom driver, But I can not.
So, how can not reset the installation path to the hard disk, then the
windows file protection will not ask for the CD disk again?

Johnson,

I believe it's located at:
Control Panel > System > 'Advanced' tab > Click 'Environment Variables'

Not sure how to redirect the path however. You can create a new path though.
Good Luck.

Drew

"johson" <johson_xu@hotmail.com.discuss> wrote in message
> there is no cd-rom driver on my computer, but I have made a copy of source
> file on the hard disk. now windows file protection ask me to insert the
> windows xp cd into the cd-rom driver, But I can not.
> So, how can not reset the installation path to the hard disk, then the
> windows file protection will not ask for the CD disk again?

This can be changed with TweakUI. Its under the My Computer, Special Folders section.

TweakUI is available from

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp (SP1 and later systems)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powertoys.asp (Pre SP1 systems)

It can also be changed in the Registry, manually. Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Modify the SourcePath value in the right pane. You may also need to modify the ServicePackSourcePath and ServicePackCachePath values, as well.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.