XP1700+ HSF question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Socket
  • Compatibility
Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2003 12:20:19 AM

Well, Socket A vs Socket 370, really.

Are most/all Socket a and Socket 370 HSF combinations cross compatible? That is, I have a PIII with a HSF that I want to use in an XP1700+ system (thereby saving myself money). Will it work? Will it cool adequately? I'm pretty sure the PIII HSF is the retail version that comes with.

----------------------------------------------------
?! <--- indicates clueless excitement.

More about : xp1700 hsf question

September 3, 2003 12:25:40 AM

Hsf units have a life expectancy of about 2 to 3 years, want to gamble a new chip on an old hsf?
September 3, 2003 12:27:57 AM

err... what?

As far as I know, aluminium is aluminium, and while fans do burn out, ANY DECENT [-peep-] modern processor or mobo will shut the computer down before the CPU fries.

Geeze... you're acting like I trying to overclock without using a fan...

But my question still isn't answered. I don't need any value jugdements, just a response as to whether my PIII can adequately cool my XP1700+

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 3, 2003 12:31:52 AM

Oh, and it's a 1.2ghz Celeron version, so its really not that old.

September 3, 2003 12:43:40 AM

A PIII/Celeron put out a max of about 35w of heat. An XP puts out 60-80w of heat. You do the math. Most XP (Thoroughbred B) processors require a copper core HS due to the small core size and relatively high thermal output.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
September 3, 2003 12:58:14 AM

ooo...

the tualatin celerons have small heatsinks...probably not enough for an athlon...

it will fit though...but wont cool well enough...

just get a retail cpu that comes with a hsf

I will also add a socket 370/A heatsink is also compatable with a socket 7 cpu...so you could put an slk900 on a k6...muhawhawhaw!

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piii_Man on 09/02/03 09:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 3, 2003 4:37:55 AM

Well, I installed it and it's running quite stable at 44C. Even when I played UT2003 for 30 minutes it was fine. It jumped up to 47C, but even that's within margins.

!