problem installing xp inc sp2

Hi

Whenever I try and install windows xp inc sp2 onto a RADI 0 array formatted
with 32kcluster after the initial file copy process the system reboots and
gives a disk read error yet when using XP sp1 the install works fine.

tried pro and home and same on both also tried various versions of the sata
driver and that hasn't helped either.

motherboard is MSI KT800 neo
AMD 64 3000
Maxtor 120GB hd x2
7 answers Last reply
More about problem installing

    This is a clean install?
    i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation process?

    You installed into a 'bare' system?
    i.e. minimum hw

    Your bios boot order is set correctly?

    "Nick Vidamour" <nick@mesha64.plus.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Whenever I try and install windows xp inc sp2 onto a RADI 0 array
    formatted
    > with 32kcluster after the initial file copy process the system reboots and
    > gives a disk read error yet when using XP sp1 the install works fine.
    >
    > tried pro and home and same on both also tried various versions of the
    sata
    > driver and that hasn't helped either.
    >
    > motherboard is MSI KT800 neo
    > AMD 64 3000
    > Maxtor 120GB hd x2

    clean install in some ways yes

    created partitions using a seperate hard drive so that can format it with
    32k cluster size and then took that dive out
    (this problem doesn't appear when creating the paritions and formatting
    within the installation but then i'm stuck with a 4k cluster size and get
    the same error if using partition magic to change the cluster size"

    installed sata drives from floppy fine

    bios order set correctly and min hw
    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > This is a clean install?
    > i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    > You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation process?
    >
    > You installed into a 'bare' system?
    > i.e. minimum hw
    >
    > Your bios boot order is set correctly?
    >
    > "Nick Vidamour" <nick@mesha64.plus.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Whenever I try and install windows xp inc sp2 onto a RADI 0 array
    > formatted
    >> with 32kcluster after the initial file copy process the system reboots
    >> and
    >> gives a disk read error yet when using XP sp1 the install works fine.
    >>
    >> tried pro and home and same on both also tried various versions of the
    > sata
    >> driver and that hasn't helped either.
    >>
    >> motherboard is MSI KT800 neo
    >> AMD 64 3000
    >> Maxtor 120GB hd x2

    Nick,
    If I may ask, Why do you want the cluster size at 32K ?
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Nick Vidamour wrote:
    > clean install in some ways yes
    >
    > created partitions using a seperate hard drive so that can format it
    > with 32k cluster size and then took that dive out
    > (this problem doesn't appear when creating the paritions and
    > formatting within the installation but then i'm stuck with a 4k
    > cluster size and get the same error if using partition magic to
    > change the cluster size"
    >
    > installed sata drives from floppy fine
    >
    > bios order set correctly and min hw
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> This is a clean install?
    >> i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    >> You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation
    >> process?
    >>
    >> You installed into a 'bare' system?
    >> i.e. minimum hw
    >>
    >> Your bios boot order is set correctly?
    >>
    >> "Nick Vidamour" <nick@mesha64.plus.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Whenever I try and install windows xp inc sp2 onto a RADI 0 array
    >>> formatted with 32kcluster after the initial file copy process the
    >>> system reboots and
    >>> gives a disk read error yet when using XP sp1 the install works
    >>> fine.
    >>>
    >>> tried pro and home and same on both also tried various versions of
    >>> the sata driver and that hasn't helped either.
    >>>
    >>> motherboard is MSI KT800 neo
    >>> AMD 64 3000
    >>> Maxtor 120GB hd x2

    i might just simply ignore the 32k cluster altogether as i'm only using the
    system as a general user and with some tests i've performed cannot visially
    see a difference in performance between cluster sizes.

    as a side note to this though is, what is the best set up for stripe and
    cluster size

    should they be the same e/g 32/32 or should cluster be larger or smaller
    > clean install in some ways yes
    >
    > created partitions using a seperate hard drive so that can format it with
    > 32k cluster size and then took that dive out
    > (this problem doesn't appear when creating the paritions and formatting
    > within the installation but then i'm stuck with a 4k cluster size and get
    > the same error if using partition magic to change the cluster size"
    >
    > installed sata drives from floppy fine
    >
    > bios order set correctly and min hw
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> This is a clean install?
    >> i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    >> You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation process?
    >>
    >> You installed into a 'bare' system?
    >> i.e. minimum hw
    >>
    >> Your bios boot order is set correctly?
    >>
    >> "Nick Vidamour" <nick@mesha64.plus.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Whenever I try and install windows xp inc sp2 onto a RADI 0 array
    >> formatted
    >>> with 32kcluster after the initial file copy process the system reboots
    >>> and
    >>> gives a disk read error yet when using XP sp1 the install works fine.
    >>>
    >>> tried pro and home and same on both also tried various versions of the
    >> sata
    >>> driver and that hasn't helped either.
    >>>
    >>> motherboard is MSI KT800 neo
    >>> AMD 64 3000
    >>> Maxtor 120GB hd x2

    think its a case of reading what you think is right

    basically most people say that a larger cluster size increase speed due to
    less head movement, but visually i can't see a difference.

    also using a raid array they says it best to have either a matching or 1/2
    size cluster.

    don't know which is correct tbh

    Nick Vidamour wrote:
    > clean install in some ways yes
    >
    > created partitions using a seperate hard drive so that can format it
    > with 32k cluster size and then took that dive out
    > (this problem doesn't appear when creating the paritions and
    > formatting within the installation but then i'm stuck with a 4k
    > cluster size and get the same error if using partition magic to
    > change the cluster size"
    >
    > installed sata drives from floppy fine
    >
    > bios order set correctly and min hw
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> This is a clean install?
    >> i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    >> You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation
    >> process?
    >>
    >> You installed into a 'bare' system?
    >> i.e. minimum hw
    >>
    >> Your bios boot order is set correctly?
    >>
    >> "Nick Vidamour" <nick@mesha64.plus.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Whenever I try and install windows xp inc sp2 onto a RADI 0 array
    >>> formatted with 32kcluster after the initial file copy process the
    >>> system reboots and
    >>> gives a disk read error yet when using XP sp1 the install works
    >>> fine.
    >>>
    >>> tried pro and home and same on both also tried various versions of
    >>> the sata driver and that hasn't helped either.
    >>>
    >>> motherboard is MSI KT800 neo
    >>> AMD 64 3000
    >>> Maxtor 120GB hd x2

    For efficiency of access / reads, etc, you run Disk Defragmenter or an add-on utility like Perfect Disk to keep data files physically contiguous. So forget the larger cluster size on that topic. In addition, when you have lots of very small files, a 32K cluster size is going to be very wasteful.

    I think you need to start all over and install XP fresh, and let it create the partition.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Nick Vidamour wrote:
    > think its a case of reading what you think is right
    >
    > basically most people say that a larger cluster size increase speed
    > due to less head movement, but visually i can't see a difference.
    >
    > also using a raid array they says it best to have either a matching
    > or 1/2 size cluster.
    >
    > don't know which is correct tbh
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Nick,
    > If I may ask, Why do you want the cluster size at 32K ?
    >
    > Nick Vidamour wrote:
    >> clean install in some ways yes
    >>
    >> created partitions using a seperate hard drive so that can format it
    >> with 32k cluster size and then took that dive out
    >> (this problem doesn't appear when creating the paritions and
    >> formatting within the installation but then i'm stuck with a 4k
    >> cluster size and get the same error if using partition magic to
    >> change the cluster size"
    >>
    >> installed sata drives from floppy fine
    >>
    >> bios order set correctly and min hw
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> This is a clean install?
    >>> i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    >>> You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation
    >>> process?
    >>>
    >>> You installed into a 'bare' system?
    >>> i.e. minimum hw
    >>>
    >>> Your bios boot order is set correctly?
    >>>
    >>> "Nick Vidamour" <nick@mesha64.plus.com> wrote in message

    thats what i'm going to do really, just been making the xp installation with
    all updates and hotfixes etc...

    Nick Vidamour wrote:
    > think its a case of reading what you think is right
    >
    > basically most people say that a larger cluster size increase speed
    > due to less head movement, but visually i can't see a difference.
    >
    > also using a raid array they says it best to have either a matching
    > or 1/2 size cluster.
    >
    > don't know which is correct tbh
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Nick,
    > If I may ask, Why do you want the cluster size at 32K ?
    >
    > Nick Vidamour wrote:
    >> clean install in some ways yes
    >>
    >> created partitions using a seperate hard drive so that can format it
    >> with 32k cluster size and then took that dive out
    >> (this problem doesn't appear when creating the paritions and
    >> formatting within the installation but then i'm stuck with a 4k
    >> cluster size and get the same error if using partition magic to
    >> change the cluster size"
    >>
    >> installed sata drives from floppy fine
    >>
    >> bios order set correctly and min hw
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> This is a clean install?
    >>> i.e. you deleted and created partitions etc using wincd
    >>> You installed sata drivers from floppy during the installation
    >>> process?
    >>>
    >>> You installed into a 'bare' system?
    >>> i.e. minimum hw
    >>>
    >>> Your bios boot order is set correctly?