AGP aperature size and video speed? ?

Jun 16, 2004

I have a Dell 4550, 384MB of RAM.
The default setting for AGP aperture size was only 32 in CMOS. I don't know
what the optimum is, so I bumped it up to 64. There is no apparent change.
What is best? The options are 32, 64, 128, 256.
I really don't know what all this means, except that it should impact video
speed, right?
Thanks.

Jun 16, 2004

"Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell 4550, 384MB of RAM.
> The default setting for AGP aperture size was only 32 in CMOS. I don't
know
> what the optimum is, so I bumped it up to 64. There is no apparent change.
> What is best? The options are 32, 64, 128, 256.
> I really don't know what all this means, except that it should impact
video
> speed, right?
> Thanks.

PS: I ask all this because I have just upgraded to a 19" LCD monitor. I love
it.

I believe that is shared system memory on that machine, It depends on the
video card you have. It wont really improve "speed" all that much, esp if
you dont play games that will max the onboard memory available to the video
chip. When specifying shared memory, it reserves that chunk of system memory
and effectively reduces the amount of memory available to the OS. So, beware

- NuTs

"Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message

> "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell 4550, 384MB of RAM.
> > The default setting for AGP aperture size was only 32 in CMOS. I don't
> know
> > what the optimum is, so I bumped it up to 64. There is no apparent
change.
> > What is best? The options are 32, 64, 128, 256.
> > I really don't know what all this means, except that it should impact
> video
> > speed, right?
> > Thanks.
> >

> PS: I ask all this because I have just upgraded to a 19" LCD monitor. I
love
> it.

No, the aperture is not the same as Shared memory. I can't explain it, but
it is the 'window' in memory that addresses the video card.

Tom
"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>I believe that is shared system memory on that machine, It depends on the
> video card you have. It wont really improve "speed" all that much, esp if
> you dont play games that will max the onboard memory available to the
> video
> chip. When specifying shared memory, it reserves that chunk of system
> memory
> and effectively reduces the amount of memory available to the OS. So,
> beware
>
> - NuTs
>
> "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a Dell 4550, 384MB of RAM.
>> > The default setting for AGP aperture size was only 32 in CMOS. I don't
>> know
>> > what the optimum is, so I bumped it up to 64. There is no apparent
> change.
>> > What is best? The options are 32, 64, 128, 256.
>> > I really don't know what all this means, except that it should impact
>> video
>> > speed, right?
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> PS: I ask all this because I have just upgraded to a 19" LCD monitor. I
> love
>> it.

I think it does refer to shared memory. However, that memory is not always
actually taken. It would depend on what you are doing, and whether the
on-board memory of the video card was enough for the task in hand. The AGP
spec allows for the video card to grab main system memory if needed, and the
AGP aperture says how much it can grab.

Here's a couple of sites that explain it.
http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=4556&subsectionid=383&subsubsectionid=91

John

> No, the aperture is not the same as Shared memory. I can't explain it, but
> it is the 'window' in memory that addresses the video card.
>
> Tom
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> >I believe that is shared system memory on that machine, It depends on the
> > video card you have. It wont really improve "speed" all that much, esp
if
> > you dont play games that will max the onboard memory available to the
> > video
> > chip. When specifying shared memory, it reserves that chunk of system
> > memory
> > and effectively reduces the amount of memory available to the OS. So,
> > beware
> >
> > - NuTs
> >
> > "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message
> >> know
> > change.
> >> video
> >> >

> >> PS: I ask all this because I have just upgraded to a 19" LCD monitor. I
> > love
> >> it.

Different definition of Shared.

Shared memory, to me, means when the video card doesn't have ANY memory and
uses real PHYSICAL memory.

The AGP aperture is mapped into the VIRTUAL memory space, which is
different. The aperture is the size of the mapped area.

Tom
"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I think it does refer to shared memory. However, that memory is not always
> actually taken. It would depend on what you are doing, and whether the
> on-board memory of the video card was enough for the task in hand. The AGP
> spec allows for the video card to grab main system memory if needed, and
> the
> AGP aperture says how much it can grab.
>
> Here's a couple of sites that explain it.
> http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43
> http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=4556&subsectionid=383&subsubsectionid=91
>
> John

>> No, the aperture is not the same as Shared memory. I can't explain it,
>> but
>> it is the 'window' in memory that addresses the video card.
>>
>> Tom
>> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> >I believe that is shared system memory on that machine, It depends on
>> >the
>> > video card you have. It wont really improve "speed" all that much, esp
> if
>> > you dont play games that will max the onboard memory available to the
>> > video
>> > chip. When specifying shared memory, it reserves that chunk of system
>> > memory
>> > and effectively reduces the amount of memory available to the OS. So,
>> > beware
>> >
>> > - NuTs
>> >
>> > "Q" <Q@anon.com> wrote in message

> don't
>> > change.

>> > love

I have read that the rule of thumb is go with 50% of your installed RAM.

>I have read that the rule of thumb is go with 50% of your installed RAM.

<snip>

Additionally, I'd add that I haven't seen any posts, benchmarks or otherwise
to indicate performance hits or improvements by adjusting the default BIOS
aperature settings in an OEM machine.

<shrug>

Stew

Jun 16, 2004

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have read that the rule of thumb is go with 50% of your installed RAM.
> >

> <snip>
>

> Additionally, I'd add that I haven't seen any posts, benchmarks or
otherwise
> to indicate performance hits or improvements by adjusting the default BIOS
> aperature settings in an OEM machine.
>
> <shrug>
>
> Stew

Well, thanks to everyone who posted.
My conclusion was a conservative one. I upped the aperture setting from 32
to 64.
~Q

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I remeber those cheapo video cards that worked
with system memory. Do they still exist? Do motherboards with integrated
video work that way?

Re. AGP aperture, that web site I mentioned before seems to be saying that
the AGP aperture itself is mapped into virtual memory so that the AGP card
can 'see' it as one block. Each 4kB sub-block is then mapped onto real
physical memory by the northbridge chip. The actual memory that graphical
data is stored in is actually part of system memory, although the AGP itself
doesn't see it there.

> Different definition of Shared.
>
> Shared memory, to me, means when the video card doesn't have ANY memory
and
> uses real PHYSICAL memory.
>
> The AGP aperture is mapped into the VIRTUAL memory space, which is
> different. The aperture is the size of the mapped area.
>
> Tom
> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >I think it does refer to shared memory. However, that memory is not
always
> > actually taken. It would depend on what you are doing, and whether the
> > on-board memory of the video card was enough for the task in hand. The
AGP
> > spec allows for the video card to grab main system memory if needed, and
> > the
> > AGP aperture says how much it can grab.
> >
> > Here's a couple of sites that explain it.
> > http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=4556&subsectionid=383&subsubsectionid=91

> > John
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> No, the aperture is not the same as Shared memory. I can't explain it,
> >> but
> >> it is the 'window' in memory that addresses the video card.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > if

> > don't

For example, the Dimension 2400 and 3000.

> Ah yes, I see what you mean. I remeber those cheapo video cards that
> worked
> with system memory. Do they still exist? Do motherboards with integrated
> video work that way?
>
> Re. AGP aperture, that web site I mentioned before seems to be saying that
> the AGP aperture itself is mapped into virtual memory so that the AGP card
> can 'see' it as one block. Each 4kB sub-block is then mapped onto real
> physical memory by the northbridge chip. The actual memory that graphical
> data is stored in is actually part of system memory, although the AGP
> itself
> doesn't see it there.

>> Different definition of Shared.
>>
>> Shared memory, to me, means when the video card doesn't have ANY memory
> and
>> uses real PHYSICAL memory.
>>
>> The AGP aperture is mapped into the VIRTUAL memory space, which is
>> different. The aperture is the size of the mapped area.
>>
>> Tom
>> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> >I think it does refer to shared memory. However, that memory is not
> always
>> > actually taken. It would depend on what you are doing, and whether the
>> > on-board memory of the video card was enough for the task in hand. The
> AGP
>> > spec allows for the video card to grab main system memory if needed,
>> > and
>> > the
>> > AGP aperture says how much it can grab.
>> >
>> > Here's a couple of sites that explain it.
>> > http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43
>> >
> http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=4556&subsectionid=383&subsubsectionid=91
>> >
>> > John
>> >
>> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message