Is Dell customer support on the level?

Hi,

This last week I ordered ( from small business )a 4700 system, and
was given an estimated ship date of Dec 2nd. Well that date has
passed, and the system is still in "boxing" stage, where it's been for
the last three days. Ok, fine it's the holidays, and lot's of people
are ordering systems. But then I get a notice that the system is going
to be delayed for upwards of a week. Now I can understand a delay for
parts or whatnot, but a delay to ship a system that's been in built &
tested, I smells a rat here. To add grist to the mill, I read that
Dell is short on memory and motherboards for the 4700. Is their status
checklist just so much bull? It just so happens that the same system (
basicly ) has price dropped a little over $100, so I called dell to
cancel the old system and order a new one, or get an adjustment in
price on the old system. They said they'ed knock off a $100 off, but
couldn't give me a confirmation until the system shipped. This didn't
fill me with confidence, so I requested the system be cancelled, it
hasn't shipped, and they were giving me an "estimate" of 3-4 days
before it would. The manager I was speaking with, told me that the
system was "too far along" and they couldn't cancel it, remember it's
going to be at least 3-4 days before it ships. He told me that if I
didn't want the system, I would need to ship it back to Dell at their
expense, apon recipt. I feel I'm being BS'd here( at least regarding
the ability to cancel ), and am wondering if any of you have had a
similar experience, and can tell me if this is SOP for Dell's
"improved" customer service. Thanks.

Send Dell a dated, return receipt requested letter canceling the order. Do
this yesterday, if not sooner.
Refuse delivery.
Hopefully, you paid via credit card.
Refuse to pay any credit card charge, using the letter as proof of
cancellation.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Jeff Innis" <figaro911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This last week I ordered ( from small business )a 4700 system, and
> was given an estimated ship date of Dec 2nd. Well that date has
> passed, and the system is still in "boxing" stage, where it's been for
> the last three days. Ok, fine it's the holidays, and lot's of people
> are ordering systems. But then I get a notice that the system is going
> to be delayed for upwards of a week. Now I can understand a delay for
> parts or whatnot, but a delay to ship a system that's been in built &
> tested, I smells a rat here. To add grist to the mill, I read that
> Dell is short on memory and motherboards for the 4700. Is their status
> checklist just so much bull? It just so happens that the same system (
> basicly ) has price dropped a little over $100, so I called dell to
> cancel the old system and order a new one, or get an adjustment in
> price on the old system. They said they'ed knock off a $100 off, but
> couldn't give me a confirmation until the system shipped. This didn't
> fill me with confidence, so I requested the system be cancelled, it
> hasn't shipped, and they were giving me an "estimate" of 3-4 days
> before it would. The manager I was speaking with, told me that the
> system was "too far along" and they couldn't cancel it, remember it's
> going to be at least 3-4 days before it ships. He told me that if I
> didn't want the system, I would need to ship it back to Dell at their
> expense, apon recipt. I feel I'm being BS'd here( at least regarding
> the ability to cancel ), and am wondering if any of you have had a
> similar experience, and can tell me if this is SOP for Dell's
> "improved" customer service. Thanks.

the order status page is not always accurate. if your system was in the
testing stage and then delaye then it probably demonstrated a problem and so
they began to start over. once a system is so far into the production cycle
they are not able to cancel it. seems absurd to me that they don't just
cancel it while in transit (ups and fedex can certainly redirect a package
in transit). the simplest thing to do is refuse delivery of the package and
you will not have to deal with arranging a pick up to return the thing.

"Jeff Innis" <figaro911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This last week I ordered ( from small business )a 4700 system, and
> was given an estimated ship date of Dec 2nd. Well that date has
> passed, and the system is still in "boxing" stage, where it's been for
> the last three days. Ok, fine it's the holidays, and lot's of people
> are ordering systems. But then I get a notice that the system is going
> to be delayed for upwards of a week. Now I can understand a delay for
> parts or whatnot, but a delay to ship a system that's been in built &
> tested, I smells a rat here. To add grist to the mill, I read that
> Dell is short on memory and motherboards for the 4700. Is their status
> checklist just so much bull? It just so happens that the same system (
> basicly ) has price dropped a little over $100, so I called dell to
> cancel the old system and order a new one, or get an adjustment in
> price on the old system. They said they'ed knock off a $100 off, but
> couldn't give me a confirmation until the system shipped. This didn't
> fill me with confidence, so I requested the system be cancelled, it
> hasn't shipped, and they were giving me an "estimate" of 3-4 days
> before it would. The manager I was speaking with, told me that the
> system was "too far along" and they couldn't cancel it, remember it's
> going to be at least 3-4 days before it ships. He told me that if I
> didn't want the system, I would need to ship it back to Dell at their
> expense, apon recipt. I feel I'm being BS'd here( at least regarding
> the ability to cancel ), and am wondering if any of you have had a
> similar experience, and can tell me if this is SOP for Dell's
> "improved" customer service. Thanks.

We got a 4600 in October and got the same order delayed message that said it
would be delayed by 2 weeks and the thing arrived 2 days later. Kinda odd.
Andy

"Jeff Innis" <figaro911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This last week I ordered ( from small business )a 4700 system, and
> was given an estimated ship date of Dec 2nd. Well that date has
> passed, and the system is still in "boxing" stage, where it's been for
> the last three days. Ok, fine it's the holidays, and lot's of people
> are ordering systems. But then I get a notice that the system is going
> to be delayed for upwards of a week. Now I can understand a delay for
> parts or whatnot, but a delay to ship a system that's been in built &
> tested, I smells a rat here. To add grist to the mill, I read that
> Dell is short on memory and motherboards for the 4700. Is their status
> checklist just so much bull? It just so happens that the same system (
> basicly ) has price dropped a little over $100, so I called dell to
> cancel the old system and order a new one, or get an adjustment in
> price on the old system. They said they'ed knock off a $100 off, but
> couldn't give me a confirmation until the system shipped. This didn't
> fill me with confidence, so I requested the system be cancelled, it
> hasn't shipped, and they were giving me an "estimate" of 3-4 days
> before it would. The manager I was speaking with, told me that the
> system was "too far along" and they couldn't cancel it, remember it's
> going to be at least 3-4 days before it ships. He told me that if I
> didn't want the system, I would need to ship it back to Dell at their
> expense, apon recipt. I feel I'm being BS'd here( at least regarding
> the ability to cancel ), and am wondering if any of you have had a
> similar experience, and can tell me if this is SOP for Dell's
> "improved" customer service. Thanks.

Actually my system hasn't shipped, and will not for several days at
least ( according to the person I spoke with ). That they can't cancel
the order at this point, strikes me as being either beyond absurd, or
I'm getting lied to by Dell C/S. I read somewhere that if I refuse
pickup without prior authorization by Dell, they will delay my refund.
No way to win with these guys.

> Actually my system hasn't shipped, and will not for several days at
> least ( according to the person I spoke with ). That they can't cancel
> the order at this point, strikes me as being either beyond absurd, or
> I'm getting lied to by Dell C/S. I read somewhere that if I refuse
> pickup without prior authorization by Dell, they will delay my refund.
> No way to win with these guys.

If you paid by credit card, that protects you.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> "Jeff Innis" <figaro911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Actually my system hasn't shipped, and will not for several days at
>> least ( according to the person I spoke with ). That they can't cancel
>> the order at this point, strikes me as being either beyond absurd, or
>> I'm getting lied to by Dell C/S. I read somewhere that if I refuse
>> pickup without prior authorization by Dell, they will delay my refund.
>> No way to win with these guys.
>
> If you paid by credit card, that protects you.

You can cancel the order at any time. You were given bad information.

As for the credit card, they don't charge/invoice until the unit ships - or
at least that's the way I understood it.

Stew

Hi!

Others have said that the Dell website is not always accurate, and I agree
with that observation.

When I ordered my Dimension 8300, it stayed in a stage for a while (I do not
recall which one.) before I got an e-mail stating that I would very likely
not get my computer until early December due to a parts issue. Dell told me
that I could choose to cancel my order and if memory serves that is even
what they recommended.

I was in no hurry, so I didn't cancel the order...and the machine arrived
about a week after the notice, almost precisely on time for the ship date
that I was originally quoted.

William

i suppose you are right about then being able to delay your refund if you
did not pay by credit card. i suppose i take if for granted that i am lucky
enough to have a credit card... i could not image ordering a high ticket
item without the security and protection that a credit card affords you.
but your logic seems is a little bit flawed... on the one hand you say that
you don't trust them and feel that you are lying to you but in the same
breath you believe them when they tell you that the system has not yet
shipped. all i, and the many other people that took the time to post a
reply in an effort to help you, is to share our personal experiences...
sometimes the order status page is just plain incorrect, as may be the case
with the email, but you will only know for sure in time. of course that is
not a comfort, but it does mean that you do not have to feel victimized or
paralyzed by this outcome. if you are in a hurry, or you have encountered a
better deal (at dell or elsewhere) then cancel this order and order the
other one...

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > "Jeff Innis" <figaro911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Actually my system hasn't shipped, and will not for several days at
> >> least ( according to the person I spoke with ). That they can't cancel
> >> the order at this point, strikes me as being either beyond absurd, or
> >> I'm getting lied to by Dell C/S. I read somewhere that if I refuse
> >> pickup without prior authorization by Dell, they will delay my refund.
> >> No way to win with these guys.
> >
> > If you paid by credit card, that protects you.
> >

> You can cancel the order at any time. You were given bad information.
>
> As for the credit card, they don't charge/invoice until the unit ships -
or
> at least that's the way I understood it.

Using the credit protects you if they ship despite your attempts to cancel.
But you need your cancellation request proof in writing, otherwise the
credit card might support Dell charging for shipping.

"figgy" <figaro911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually I did use a credit card, it doesn't mean that a company can't
> take it's time about processing a refund, if it chooses to, and Dell
> has a little more clout with Visa than li'l ole me.

It seems from the rest of your posting that you are now getting the system.

YOU, not Dell, are in the driver's seat if you have written proof that you
cancelled an order before shipment and dispute a credit card charge. Indeed,
Dell has a fixed period of time in which to respond to the credit card
company.